• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I have left a religious cult. Can anybody help me???

This is a message board not a "go look over there"board.
Links such as this should be used as a citation for a post not to replace a post.
9. Sourced Material - All material being posted from outside of DebatePolitics.com (external material) MUST contain a link to the original source or citation with original author. This applies to all external material, regardless of whether it is copyright protected or not.

Then don't join the Trump cult. It is a free world.
Oh believe me, I am a wise and sagacious Canadian liberal Snowflake, no way I wouldn't get taken in.

Oh believe me, I am a wise and sagacious Canadian liberal Snowflake, no way I wouldn't get taken in.

That's all you can do. It's up to others to decide for themselves.

9. Sourced Material - All material being posted from outside of DebatePolitics.com (external material) MUST contain a link to the original source or citation with original author. This applies to all external material, regardless of whether it is copyright protected or not.

But you are the one taking the floor. It is for you to articulate your case and then refer materials for further reading.

Joe's a damn idiot, anybody with half a brain knows and yet you still sing his praises.

Anybody with half a brain knows that, you say?

Might want to think about the implications. . .

I wouldn't consider myself to be a former cult member, but I did escape from the right wing propaganda bubble. Probably the best escape I ever made was from smoking, but turning off the faux and AM hate radio was close.

Correct, not to speak for you, to offer as citation.
But this is in reference to copyright laws, this is not what our conversation is about.

I am asking you to present the topic yourself and then offer the link for citation. You know, like the way a message board works.

Projection. Joe's a damn idiot, anybody with half a brain knows and yet you still sing his praises. Jim Jones style.

Hallelujah, have a sip of Kool aid.

I love the simplicity of trumpism.

Up is down, left is right, fact is fiction.

Correct, not to speak for you, to offer as citation.
But this is in reference to copyright laws, this is not what our conversation is about.

I am asking you to present the topic yourself and then offer the link for citation. You know, like the way a message board works.
I provided a citation:
Imagine if you could speak to ex-cult members, cult survivors, people whose families had been destroyed by a cult, and could ask them for their advice and wisdom. That is exactly what I did with the following question:

What is the best advice from your experience, that you would give to someone, who has just left a cult?

and here is what they said… (from a whole variety of cultic backgrounds)
Then provided a link.
Any more complaints? :rolleyes:

I provided a citation:

Then provided a link.
Any more complaints? :rolleyes:

I keep hoping for more from your opening posts. I am continually let down.
Like I said many times to you, I come here to share ideas not to use this site as a news feed.
I have a news feed.

Peace

Cults aren't just religious, but ok, there is a LOT of good advice in the following article about leaving a cult

Trump cultists might want to pay attention!

PLEASE take the time to actually read the above article, thanks.
I continue to be amazed and mystified that those in a cult (leftism) try to tell others THEY are in one.

Automatic defensive response. One doesn't need to be a psychologist to recognize that kind of response.
What did he defend? It looks like he criticized.

Projection. Joe's a damn idiot, anybody with half a brain knows and yet you still sing his praises. Jim Jones style.

Joe may be an idiot but hes way more intelligent than Trump anyone with 2 brain cells knows that

I think those who are so stupid - or mentally ill - as to contemplate joining a cult are very unlikely to read the article.
Do you think Catholicism or Christianity is a cult?

I think there are cult like tendencies in Catholicism, especially when it came to never questioning priests, priest using their power to molest children and the parishioners not immediately calling for their removal from the Church when caught. However, I think EVERY religion (I'm looking at you Scientology, David Miscavage), has some elements of cults and cult-like tendencies. Hell, pro sports trams have elements too. Our ****ing jobs have elements of cultism.

By any definition Christianity started as a small Jewish cult. All subsequent versions of christianity began as cults.

In my estimation all extant religions are cults though I expect some will produce reasonable arguments to the contrary.

Trumpism is a religious cult because Trump is God and walks on water.

No. It is anti-religious...

"In modern English, cult is usually a pejorative term for a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs and rituals,[1] or its common interest in a particular personality, object, or goal. This sense of the term is controversial and weakly defined—having divergent definitions both in popular culture and academia—and has also been an ongoing source of contention among scholars across several fields of study.[2][3]: 348–56  Wiki"
".....or its common interest in a particular personality..."

Yeah, MAGA IS the very definition of a cult

I think there are cult like tendencies in Catholicism, especially when it came to never questioning priests, priest using their power to molest children and the parishioners not immediately calling for their removal from the Church when caught. However, I think EVERY religion (I'm looking at you Scientology, David Miscavage), has some elements of cults and cult-like tendencies. Hell, pro sports trams have elements too. Our ****ing jobs have elements of cultism.
So, leftism would be a cult also?

By any definition Christianity started as a small Jewish cult. All subsequent versions of christianity began as cults.

In my estimation all extant religions are cults though I expect some will produce reasonable arguments to the contrary.

Cults are religions that are not yet accepted by mainstream society.

So, leftism would be a cult also?

You probably think all of the medical organizations on the planet talking about pandemic recommendations, and all the scientific organizations on the planet talking about climate change, are a cult too- but listening to some known Manhattan real estate huckster and known liar is the smart thing to do.

Does he make you pray 5 times a day facing Mar-a-Lago?

Leftism, rightism, both sides yes. Both sides' leaders lie to them, and yet they keep following without any questioning.

It's disingenuous to suggest that the two sides are even remotely the same thing. From Q and Evangelicals to Trump and Jewish Space lasers, the right has officially escaped Earth's orbit.

"Results reveal that conservatives in the United States were not only more likely than liberals to endorse specific conspiracy theories, but they were also more likely to espouse conspiratorial worldviews in general (r = .27, 95% CI: .24, .30). Importantly, extreme conservatives were significantly more likely to engage in conspiratorial thinking than extreme liberals (Hedges' g = .77, SE = .07, p < .001). The relationship between ideology and conspiratorial thinking was mediated by a strong distrust of officialdom and paranoid ideation, both of which were higher among conservatives, consistent with Hofstadter's account of the paranoid style in American politics."

Yeah, supporting someone that got an infrastructure, CHIPS, Medicare negotiating drug prices, holds his party together for one of the most successful mid-term campaigns in American history over someone that was impeached twice, had to shut down his charitable foundation and is the subject of multiple criminal and civil investigations is surprising. Unless you have any intelligence at all.

Back
Top Bottom