• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I hated (fill-in-the-blank) as a kid and either still do or like it now.

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Rhubarb- With the recent cranky old lady stealing Rhubarb youtube video, I remembered I hated it as a kid. It was one of the biggest deceptions of my childhood. My mom would cook it on rare occasions. When she did it filled the entire house with the aroma of homemade apple pie. Not being able to resist, I tried some and...YUCK! Unless my mother was cooking it wrong.

Slave food that didn't end with slavery- Like I'm sure many black kids, I had my exposure to "soul food" growing up, some of which traces its history to the times of slavery. At 7 years old you're not thinking of it and only know Grandma is a good cook. In fact, TV chef Anthony Bourdain says his definition of a great cook is not someone who can create delicious meals using the best ingredients but on the contrary great cooks are those who can create delicious meals with the crappiest ingredients. Time goes on and I learn why so much so called soul food is made from the worst garbage you can think of: pig intestines, pig feet, pig tails, pig snout, ox tails, neck bones, etc. Its because during slavery when livestock was slaughtered the throw away parts were the only meat slaves were allowed to have and being as resourceful as possible under that condition, they did the best with what they had and turned their dishes into delicacies. Their recipes were passed down through the generations and still prepared today. Sorry, I refuse to eat it with the exception of ox tails and then only occasionally, which doesn't creep me out for some reason and very flavorful despite knowing in the back of my mind what I'm eating was stationed less than inches from where the animals bowel movements were discharged.

My mother's oatmeal- I love my mother but not her oatmeal. Its pretty good except for the last step she did. For some bizarre reason after serving it in a bowl, she likes dumping about a half a cup of cold milk right on top of it. When I was a kid I asked her not to add the milk to mine and once she forgot, I complained and she made me eat it anyway.

I can't think of anything I didn't like then but like now.

I hated green peas, and I still do over 50 years later. :lol:

I hated butter, cheese, milk, and all things dairy as a child, and I love them now.

Anchovies.....hated them as a kid and hate them now
Beets - see above

I'll eat pretty much anything to be polite but I won't be happy about it:lol:

As a kid I didn't like many vegetables. Now I like (or at least don't mind) just about every vegetable. As a kid/teenager I didn't like coffee. Now I roast my own and drink it black (no sugar either...though I tend to think that's assumed with black coffee). As a kid/teenager I didn't like the few sips of beer I tried. Now I homebrew and love most kinds of beer.

I hated onions and still do. Other than that I will eat pretty much anything. I have this rule to try anything atleast once and usually I end up liking it. I eat all the nasty stuff most people hate.

I hated uncontrollable erections occuring right before I had to go to the front of the class in Junior High.

Now, I miss them terribly.

edit -- oops, I guess that's not food. THat's what I get for responding before I see what forum it's in.

Lima beans.

Hated them then, won't even touch them now. And now, Mom can't make me. :mrgreen:

Most other things that I disliked as a kid, I'm willing to give another try to now, though some things I still don't like.

I've always liked almost everything I've ever eaten. Still do

Except beef liver. Yuck

I hated green peas, and I still do over 50 years later. :lol:

I hated butter, cheese, milk, and all things dairy as a child, and I love them now.

Me too, still can't stomach peas or spinach. Though I think I may actually be allergic to spinach, because it always gives me an upset stomach.

I hated tomatoes as a child. Now I love them on burgers.

Me too, still can't stomach peas or spinach. Though I think I may actually be allergic to spinach, because it always gives me an upset stomach.

Perhaps it's the oxalic acid? Do you have problems with rhubarb too?

I like raw spinach, just not cooked. :lol: I doubt that, at this point in my life, I will ever learn to love peas.

I hated uncontrollable erections occuring right before I had to go to the front of the class in Junior High.

Now, I miss them terribly.

edit -- oops, I guess that's not food. THat's what I get for responding before I see what forum it's in.

Maybe not to you.....

Anyhoo.... cabbage, chard, spinach...hated them all as a kid, now I can't get enough of them. Brussel sprouts on the other hand, I hated them as a child and I still hate them with a passion now.

Maybe not to you.....

Anyhoo.... cabbage, chard, spinach...hated them all as a kid, now I can't get enough of them. Brussel sprouts on the other hand, I hated them as a child and I still hate them with a passion now.

That's interesting. To me, Brussels sprouts are essentially little baby cabbages. :lol:

Tomatoes. I have hated them for as long as I can remember. It did not help that we had 4 gardens all sharing the same corner of fencing and that the houses sharing this corner all had boys of the same age. I had quite a few rotten tomatoes in the face in our annual rotten tomato fights growing up.

To follow up on the OP's dislikes we had rhubarb in that garden too, and I loved the stuff. Never ate it cooked though unless it was a pie (strawberry rhubarb pie. mmmm!). I would just go out to the garden pick a stalk and eat it raw. Come to think of it, I ate just about everything out of the garden raw, and to this day I still prefer most veggies raw (or slightly cooked and still crunchy and bright green). Which brings me around to another more generalized thing I hated as a kid and I still do - overcooked mushy veggies.

That's interesting. To me, Brussels sprouts are essentially little baby cabbages. :lol:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I suspect my hatred of those little devil bombs has more to do with being forced to eat them as a kid. I had a very stern father and grandmother and what you didn't eat you got served up at the next meal. Cold, over-cooked sprouts are possibly the worst vegetable in the world.

Isn't that what they are?

They fall into the category of stuff I was never given as a kid (mom has never been big on cooked veggies) but that I really enjoy now.

They fall into the category of stuff I was never given as a kid (mom has never been big on cooked veggies) but that I really enjoy now.

S'funny, I must have been about 15 before I realised that most vegetables weren't actually poisonous unless you boiled them for several hours. I always thought the expression, "eat your greens" should have been corrected to "eat your greys".

That's what they taste like to me- a little more flavor, but the same taste. My mom wasn't big on cooking veggies either, and I grew up on what is essentially a "poor man's diet"- protein, starches, and fats. We rarely had red, green, or orange food at mealtime.

I hated liver as a kid, now I love it. Hated corn, now, as long as its good corn, fresh, on the cob, I'll eat it.

Used to hate beer, too, if I'm honest.

I used to hate lima beans and brussle sprouts.

Now, I love them both.

On the obverse, I used to love (and I mean LOVE) liver, fried with bacon and onions.

Now I can't really eat any kind of organ meat without it turning my stomach.

S'funny, I must have been about 15 before I realised that most vegetables weren't actually poisonous unless you boiled them for several hours. I always thought the expression, "eat your greens" should have been corrected to "eat your greys".

Yeah. I'm a big fan of veggies whether raw or cooked but there are definitely ways to destroy a perfectly good vegetable by cooking it to mush.

I hated liver as a kid, now I love it. Hated corn, now, as long as its good corn, fresh, on the cob, I'll eat it.

Used to hate beer, too, if I'm honest.

I used to love liver until my late husband so kindly pointed out to me, about 30 years ago, that eating liver was like eating the oil filter of the animal. I've never eaten it since. :lol:

almost everything. my mother was a HORRIBLE cook. I was one of the few guys in basic that actually enjoyed chowhall food because it was so much better than what I was used to.

Back
Top Bottom