• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I hated (fill-in-the-blank) as a kid and either still do or like it now.

I can't believe all of you people don't like brussel sprouts. They're SO good (most of the time..I've had bad batches).

Boiled okra. Disgusting stuff. Truly disgusting, ugly, snotty, evil, sickly green, steaming pile of bug guts.

Lima beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus, any canned veggies because they're mushy and off color and just plain nasty! My grandmother used to try to get me to eat them all the time. I don't get how anyone can eat canned veggies. Yuck!

Oh, and cooked spinach too. I like it raw in salad, and I also like it in spinach artichoke dip. :) Love that stuff!

Boiled okra. Disgusting stuff. Truly disgusting, ugly, snotty, evil, sickly green, steaming pile of bug guts.

my grandfather liked to tell a boiled okra joke:

there was a goose who ate a piece of boiled okra and it was so slimey that it went straight through his system and out his ass without being digested. the goose, being a typical nasty goose, ate it again with the same result. after about the 5th iteration the goose gets mad, eats the okra and quickly jams its bill up its ass and says "circulate dammit"

not very funny, but every time I hear about boiled okra, I remember grampa telling that joke.

my mother would take perfectly good squash and zuchinni and ruin it by coating it with corn meal and frying it until it turned into a disgusting blob of mush. hated it.

Chemical analysis has shown that many fermented foods contain compounds that enhance the flavor of other foods (particularly meat) in much the same way as salt does.

Why do you think cheese is so good on a hamburger?

Not to mention that fermented foods are also great for your GI tract, by adding to the beneficial bacteria count.

I've never tried okra, and I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing! :lol:

I've never tried okra, and I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing! :lol:

one of the most disgusting foods ever. even the raw okra fresh off the bush is disgusting, it is covered with loads of short prickly little stubble.

my mother would take perfectly good squash and zuchinni and ruin it by coating it with corn meal and frying it until it turned into a disgusting blob of mush. hated it.

All this talk of okra and zucchini sounds a bit foreign to me. Reminds me of this...

As for vegetables I like now that I never used to, broccoli, squash (butternut especially), turnip, probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

This I appreciate, as my aversion has been challenged many times.

It would seem my brain concludes that any food that effectively coats itself with snot like goo when cooked, must not be edible. Dispite my advancing age, this road block has been totally effective. :lol:
Absolutely. Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. I could eat pureed slugs, but something tells me not to. I appreciate that something.

I can't believe all of you people don't like brussel sprouts. They're SO good (most of the time..I've had bad batches).

No, yuck. :lol:

They're not my favorite but I'll eat them.

The old joke is, As a kid I hated Vegetables and Spankings, but I love them now. I'm surprised I didn't see it in here?

Absolutely. Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. I could eat pureed slugs, but something tells me not to. I appreciate that something.

bingo. as Chris Rock said
****, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ****ing idea!

Don't even know what it is! :mrgreen: Do I want to know?

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours

Don't even know what it is! :mrgreen: Do I want to know?

Here's a quote:

haggis, a national dish of Scotland. A haggis is actually a large spherical sausage made of the liver, heart, and lungs of a sheep, all chopped and mixed with beef or mutton suet and oatmeal and seasoned with onion, cayenne pepper, and other spices. The mixture is packed into a sheep’s stomach and boiled. Haggis is usually accompanied by turnips and mashed potatoes; Scotch whisky is customarily drunk with it.

Lima beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus, any canned veggies because they're mushy and off color and just plain nasty! My grandmother used to try to get me to eat them all the time. I don't get how anyone can eat canned veggies. Yuck!

Oh, and cooked spinach too. I like it raw in salad, and I also like it in spinach artichoke dip. :) Love that stuff!

Trying making creamed spinach. Diced onion and garlic sauteed in butter on low to medium heat just till the onions are translucent. Add a little flour to get a slight blonde roux going, then a little black pepper, nutmeg, heavy cream, maybe a little cooked chopped bacon and spinach that's been blanched dried as best possible and chopped. Continue to cook on low heat on the stove or place it in a casserole dish in the over.

Last edited:
Here's a quote:

In other words, it's just a big sausage containing all the same ingredients as ordinary sausages and instead of being wrapped in intestine, it's wrapped in stomach. It's delicious with neeps, tatties and a single Speyside* malt.

*Just my preference.

Rhubarb- With the recent cranky old lady stealing Rhubarb youtube video, I remembered I hated it as a kid. It was one of the biggest deceptions of my childhood. My mom would cook it on rare occasions. When she did it filled the entire house with the aroma of homemade apple pie. Not being able to resist, I tried some and...YUCK! Unless my mother was cooking it wrong.

Slave food that didn't end with slavery- Like I'm sure many black kids, I had my exposure to "soul food" growing up, some of which traces its history to the times of slavery. At 7 years old you're not thinking of it and only know Grandma is a good cook. In fact, TV chef Anthony Bourdain says his definition of a great cook is not someone who can create delicious meals using the best ingredients but on the contrary great cooks are those who can create delicious meals with the crappiest ingredients. Time goes on and I learn why so much so called soul food is made from the worst garbage you can think of: pig intestines, pig feet, pig tails, pig snout, ox tails, neck bones, etc. Its because during slavery when livestock was slaughtered the throw away parts were the only meat slaves were allowed to have and being as resourceful as possible under that condition, they did the best with what they had and turned their dishes into delicacies. Their recipes were passed down through the generations and still prepared today. Sorry, I refuse to eat it with the exception of ox tails and then only occasionally, which doesn't creep me out for some reason and very flavorful despite knowing in the back of my mind what I'm eating was stationed less than inches from where the animals bowel movements were discharged.

My mother's oatmeal- I love my mother but not her oatmeal. Its pretty good except for the last step she did. For some bizarre reason after serving it in a bowl, she likes dumping about a half a cup of cold milk right on top of it. When I was a kid I asked her not to add the milk to mine and once she forgot, I complained and she made me eat it anyway.

I can't think of anything I didn't like then but like now.

Liver. Can't stand the texture, the smell or the taste. I hated it as a kid, have tried to re-introduce it because it often "looks good" when smothered with onions and gravy. No can do.

In other words, it's just a big sausage containing all the same ingredients as ordinary sausages and instead of being wrapped in intestine, it's wrapped in stomach. It's delicious with neeps, tatties and a single Speyside* malt.

*Just my preference.

Speyside is so bland (except for maybe something like The Macallan Cask Strength)! I much prefer Islay.

broccoli and a couple other vegetables : didn't like them as a kid, and now i eat a lot of vegetables. changed sometime in my mid 20s.

others :

coffee and tea

meatloaf : didn't like it, and then went psycho over it around 18.

cranberry juice

diet soft drinks

the oddest one : pumpkin pie. i never liked it until last year. everybody likes pumpkin pie; i don't understand why i didn't until recently.

this sort of stuff is really interesting, though. probably some emotional / biochemical thing going on. a year ago, i went nuts over onions. i had onions with every meal, covered my sandwiches with them, cooked them in my eggs, you name it. and then just like that, i'm over it. strange stuff.

Back
Top Bottom