• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I hated (fill-in-the-blank) as a kid and either still do or like it now.

I would eat pretty much anything as a kid and pretty much the only exceptions to the rule were brussel sprouts, coconut, and tapioca pudding and to the most part they still hold true. The only one that has shifted a bit is coconut where I can now stand it in chocolate, but the other two I still hate. Tapioca pudding doesn't just taste terrible but the texture of it is just down right disturbing in my mouth. Brussel sprouts have to be the worst tasting thing I have ever tasted. I can't describe it, it's just awful.

Brussel sprouts have to be the worst tasting thing I have ever tasted. I can't describe it, it's just awful.

baby cabbages boiled in horse piss.........

Okra. As a native Calfornian who travels to the South and Mid West frequently, I just don't get Okra.

Didn't like it as a kid, and don't like it as an adult.

I'd love to meet the first person who ate Okra and ask them why they got seconds.

Okra. As a native Calfornian who travels to the South and Mid West frequently, I just don't get Okra.

I'd love to meet the first person who ate Okra and ask them why they got seconds.

I love okra- fried, boiled, in gumbo, just about any way it can be served. It's great for your stomach as an added benefit. :)

I love okra- fried, boiled, in gumbo, just about any way it can be served. It's great for your stomach as an added benefit. :)

This I appreciate, as my aversion has been challenged many times.

It would seem my brain concludes that any food that effectively coats itself with snot like goo when cooked, must not be edible. Dispite my advancing age, this road block has been totally effective. :lol:

kinda like kim-chee..... holy crap, this cabbage and **** we buried to save for later has fermented/rotted and smells like all hell....**** it, let's eat it anyway.

This I appreciate, as my aversion has been challenged many times.

It would seem my brain concludes that any food that effectively coats itself with snot like goo when cooked, must not be edible. Dispite my advancing age, this road block has been totally effective. :lol:

That snot-like goo is why it's good for your stomach. :lol:

kinda like kim-chee..... holy crap, this cabbage and **** we buried to save for later has fermented/rotted and smells like all hell....**** it, let's eat it anyway.

Omg- whenever I go into the small oriental grocery store that I like, I am amazed that people don't die from eating that crap. :mrgreen:

Omg- whenever I go into the small oriental grocery store that I like, I am amazed that people don't die from eating that crap. :mrgreen:

I spent a couple of months in Seoul this spring at Yongsan Army Garrison. they had a freakin "kim-chee" bar in the chowhall. the whole place stunk to high heaven. most of the time I just grabbed a burger and fries in a to-go box from the short order line because I couldn't stand to sit there and eat

My son spent a year teaching English in South Korea. He brought back some delectible kim-chee. I made the mistake of opening the jar in my home. I can't add to your description. :shock:

That snot-like goo is why it's good for your stomach. :lol:

I suppose I could blame my aversion on my mother. She was always forcing me to blow my nose. Now you want to eat food covered in it. :3oops:

I suppose I could blame my aversion on my mother. She was always forcing me to blow my nose. Now you want to eat food covered in it. :3oops:

lol

No, I like it because it reminds me of going to my grandmother's house when I was a child. Grandpa always had a big garden, and here in the southern hot regions of the country, okra tolerates the hot summers, so you can usually get a pretty good crop of it every summer. My grandmother would fry the heck out of it, and the way she fried it, there was no "goo" that could be detected, but I really do like it just about any way it can be cooked.

almost everything. my mother was a HORRIBLE cook. I was one of the few guys in basic that actually enjoyed chowhall food because it was so much better than what I was used to.

:lamo

Like I'm sure many black kids, I had my exposure to "soul food" growing up, some of which traces its history to the times of slavery... Time goes on and I learn why so much so called soul food is made from the worst garbage you can think of: pig intestines, pig feet, pig tails, pig snout, ox tails, neck bones, etc. Its because during slavery when livestock was slaughtered the throw away parts were the only meat slaves were allowed to have and being as resourceful as possible under that condition, they did the best with what they had and turned their dishes into delicacies. Their recipes were passed down through the generations and still prepared today. Sorry, I refuse to eat it with the exception of ox tails and then only occasionally, which doesn't creep me out for some reason and very flavorful despite knowing in the back of my mind what I'm eating was stationed less than inches from where the animals bowel movements were discharged.

Coming from a mixed racial extended family, I was exposed to chitlins and pigs feet etc...and hated em. If I ate at my Black relatives homes and this was served I'd stick to bread and butter and whatever veggies I liked.

I also hated green beans, string beans, beets and sweet potato which my Gramma loved to cook. I loved my Gramma, but I hated that stuff and still do!

Coming from a mixed racial extended family, I was exposed to chitlins and pigs feet etc...and hated em. If I ate at my Black relatives homes and this was served I'd stick to bread and butter and whatever veggies I liked.

I also hated green beans, string beans, beets and sweet potato which my Gramma loved to cook. I loved my Gramma, but I hated that stuff and still do!

When I was a kid I was okay with it because I didn't know what it was or its history. Now its like eeeewwwww!

lol

No, I like it because it reminds me of going to my grandmother's house when I was a child. Grandpa always had a big garden, and here in the southern hot regions of the country, okra tolerates the hot summers, so you can usually get a pretty good crop of it every summer. My grandmother would fry the heck out of it, and the way she fried it, there was no "goo" that could be detected, but I really do like it just about any way it can be cooked.

I know people who love it. As I wrote, I travel to your neck of the woods frequently for business. Sometimes I have no choice when it's served.

For me it's "Oh boy, Okra". I smile and try to remember what I did to hide food when I was a kid.

A lot of people complained about peas ans lima beans. I've noticed canned versions of some vegetables have an entirely taste than fresh, frozen and even dried versions of the same vegetables. Canned peas, lima beans and asparagus is plain awful. If all you've ever had were canned, try them fresh and you might change your mind.

I'm not especially picky when it comes to food. I'm sort of sensitive to red sauce, so it's generally not a good idea for me to eat non-stop pizza, chili, or Italian food, but even that tends to be only a mild problem on the whole.

My family pretty much stuck to basics while I was growing up (chicken, beef, gravy, rice, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, pasta, bread, etca) so I was never really exposed to any of the crazier kinds of vegetables that a lot of other people seem to have grown up loathing.

I honestly don't think I've ever even had a brussel sprout or rhubarb, and I didn't get to try my first cabbage or beet until I was well over 18 years old.

That's interesting. To me, Brussels sprouts are essentially little baby cabbages. :lol:

I've never understood why anyone would dislike broccoli for the same reason. They always reminded me of miniature trees.

I thought that was cool as Hell when I was a kid. :lol:

That's interesting. To me, Brussels sprouts are essentially little baby cabbages. :lol:

yeah...little baby cabbages that have been soaked in and then boiled in pee. :lol:

I spent a couple of months in Seoul this spring at Yongsan Army Garrison. they had a freakin "kim-chee" bar in the chowhall. the whole place stunk to high heaven. most of the time I just grabbed a burger and fries in a to-go box from the short order line because I couldn't stand to sit there and eat

Chemical analysis has shown that many fermented foods contain compounds that enhance the flavor of other foods (particularly meat) in much the same way as salt does.

Why do you think cheese is so good on a hamburger?

Chemical analysis has shown that many fermented foods contain compounds that enhance the flavor of other foods (particularly meat) in much the same way as salt does.

Why do you think cheese is so good on a hamburger?

meh...it still smells like something that oozed out of a dead octupos' ass

I used to like pizza as a kid but now, although I don't dislike it doesn't impress me as much.

I couldn't stand okra as a kid but I think that was because of how it was cooked. Boiled, no thank you. Fried and its great. I also love gumbo if its authentic; looks like a hot steamy bowl of something you'd expect to see in the toilet but as many can attest its some of the best stuff you'll ever eat.

I'm not especially picky when it comes to food. I'm sort of sensitive to red sauce, so it's generally not a good idea for me to eat non-stop pizza, chili, or Italian food, but even that tends to be only a mild problem on the whole.

My family pretty much stuck to basics while I was growing up (chicken, beef, gravy, rice, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, pasta, bread, etca) so I was never really exposed to any of the crazier kinds of vegetables that a lot of other people seem to have grown up loathing.

I honestly don't think I've ever even had a brussel sprout or rhubarb, and I didn't get to try my first cabbage or beet until I was well over 18 years old.

I've never understood why anyone would dislike broccoli for the same reason. They always reminded me of miniature trees.

I thought that was cool as Hell when I was a kid. :lol:

When I was a kid they hadn't invented broccoli, and I've never heard Brussels described as a 'crazier kind of vegetable'! I think you'd be crazy to eat them, but that's not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom