• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I guess the DOJ is finally getting their peepee whacked for lying to a judge

NonoBadDog

Hates Kittens
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
[h=1]Justice Dept. lawyers ordered to take ethics classes after misleading judge in amnesty case[/h]
The Justice Department will order all of its civil division lawyers to take an hourlong remedial ethics class, hoping to head off even worse punishment from a federal judge who is furious about the way Obama administration attorneys misled him in the case involving the president’s deportation amnesty.
But the lawyers pleaded with Judge Hanen not to slap any of them with sanctions, saying the errors were the result of groupthink and not attributable to any particular lawyer’s goofs. The lawyers asked the judge to keep in place the 108,000 three-year amnesties issued in defiance of his rulings, saying to punish the illegal immigrants who were improperly granted them “would be unwarranted.”
“We fully recognize that we used flawed phrasing, which is unfortunate and regrettable, and — quite understandably — has been exasperating for this Court. But the imprecision was inadvertent, not the product of an intent to deceive,” the department said in its filing. “We therefore respectfully submit there is no basis for imposing sanctions against any person or entity.”
Justice Department lawyers to take remedial ethics classes after misleading judge in amnesty case - Washington Times

This is pretty entertaining. I wonder if this opens the door for more action by other judges to sanction attorneys from the State Department and the DOJ in the FOIA cases.

Last edited:
[h=1]Justice Dept. lawyers ordered to take ethics classes after misleading judge in amnesty case[/h]

This is pretty entertaining. I wonder if this opens the door for more action by other judges to sanction attorneys from the State Department and the DOJ in the FOIA cases.

Oh no! They have to sit through a whole hour long class!!! Why that will learn them! :roll:

Pleading with the judge to not enforce the law is sure to work out well. ;)

The lawyers asked the judge to keep in place the 108,000 three-year amnesties issued in defiance of his rulings, saying to punish the illegal immigrants who were improperly granted them “would be unwarranted.

Oh no! They have to sit through a whole hour long class!!! Why that will learn them! :roll:

If you read the article then you would have seen this:
In searching for a punishment, he said he thought about making the government pay the plaintiffs’ legal costs but said that would just put federal taxpayers on the hook to send money to the states — a shell game of taxpayers’ money.

Instead, he ordered the Justice Department to put lawyers at its Washington headquarters through remedial ethics training. He also barred some Washington-based lawyers from practicing in his court.

Last edited:
It could lead to more and the sanction is on the record. The judge stated that he would have fined them but he didn't because he suspected the govt would have to pay for the sanctions with taxpayer dollars.

It ain't gonna lead to ****. Just a slap on the wrist for powerful politician's lackeys, as per usual.

It could lead to more and the sanction is on the record. The judge stated that he would have fined them but he didn't because he suspected the govt would have to pay for the sanctions with taxpayer dollars.

I guess disbarment is off the table. That seems to be the best option, letting the taxpayers get better lawyers by firing, for cause, the unethical ones.

I guess disbarment is off the table. That seems to be the best option, letting the taxpayers get better lawyers by firing, for cause, the unethical ones.

Disbarment or prison (not the fun club med either). But actual punishment is off the table. Go sit through an hour class and pretend you've learned a lesson. lol. And we wonder why our government is out of our control.

Disbarment or prison (not the fun club med either). But actual punishment is off the table. Go sit through an hour class and pretend you've learned a lesson. lol. And we wonder why our government is out of our control.

How dare we question the "just us" system? BTW, who is paying for the ethics class?

Justice Dept. lawyers ordered to take ethics classes after misleading judge in amnesty case

Justice Department lawyers to take remedial ethics classes after misleading judge in amnesty case - Washington Times

I can't believe how severe this judge is. The attorneys accidentally lied to the judge so they're being ordered to attend a three-day ethics class. That's pitiful and they appealed that. They should have been suspended from practice for at least a year. The attorneys who were found to have committed serious prosecutorial misconduct in Sen. Stevens trial were promoted so I guess this is something.

"But the lawyers pleaded with Judge Hanen not to slap any of them with sanctions, saying the errors were the result of groupthink and not attributable to any particular lawyer’s goofs."

Oh, right, since all the lawyers concurred no one should be held accountable.

I can't believe how severe this judge is. The attorneys accidentally lied to the judge so they're being ordered to attend a three-day ethics class. That's pitiful and they appealed that. They should have been suspended from practice for at least a year. The attorneys who were found to have committed serious prosecutorial misconduct in Sen. Stevens trial were promoted so I guess this is something.

"But the lawyers pleaded with Judge Hanen not to slap any of them with sanctions, saying the errors were the result of groupthink and not attributable to any particular lawyer’s goofs."

A complete joke.

Shouldn't you be concerned? The Department of Justice, the primary department responsible to enforcing the laws needs to take remedial ethics lessons?

Obama's DOJ, after all. That should tell you something.

Shouldn't you be concerned? The Department of Justice, the primary department responsible to enforcing the laws needs to take remedial ethics lessons?

Obama's DOJ, after all. That should tell you something.

I have no use for President Obama and resent the total scrubbing of anyone in the DOJ who isn't a leftists but I can't say the current DOJ is any different than another pack of attorneys. Ethics is a joke.

I have no use for President Obama and resent the total scrubbing of anyone in the DOJ who isn't a leftists

Obama changed the staffing in the DOJ? Due to this?

but I can't say the current DOJ is any different than another pack of attorneys. Ethics is a joke.

On this I think we agree.

"the result of groupthink"

Didn't i see that in the book 1984?

The barring of lawyers is good.

That goes on their permanent record.

He forbid a couple of them to ever practice in his court. That hurts.

It just goes to show the value of truth vs lies in today's justice system.

That was pretty much my response.

Have the lawyers who lied disbarred and (if possible) thrown in jail. Now that might prove efficacious.

One of the main reasons I'm voting for Trump is to get rid of this lapdog Justice Department.

I guess the literal thousands of hours of classes they took to get there didn't cut it. Let's give them another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom