• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I got your liberal media bias right here... Big Time!

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It doesn't get any more blatant that this...

Eight Dems Arrested in Bell, CA 'Corruption on Steroids' - Not a Single Mention of Party Affiliation From Media
By Lachlan Markay (Bio | Archive)
Tue, 09/21/2010 - 15:19 ET

Today, eight city council members were arrested in Bell, California for what Los Angeles County District Attorney labeled "corruption on steroids." Thus far, every major news outlet that has reported on the story has omitted the fact that all eight individuals arrested are Democrats.

These glaring omissions come only weeks after NewsBusters reported that of the 351 stories on the then-brewing controversy, 350 had omitted party affiliations, and one had mentioned they were Democrats only in apologizing for not doing so sooner.

ABC, CBS, the Los Angeles Times, the Associated Press, Bloomberg, USA Today, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, and the San Francisco Chronicle all reported on the arrests today without mentioning party affiliations.

One commenter at CNN's online story got it spot on: "I notice there is no mention of the party affiliation of the accused. I can find no mention of it in any story on the internet. This must mean they were all Democrats."

Give the man a cigar.

Eight Dems Arrested in Bell, CA 'Corruption on Steroids' - Not a Single Mention of Party Affiliation From Media | NewsBusters.org

Something tells me, this thread won't inspire many responses from the left... At least responses that are on topic.

As California sues over Bell salaries, a boon for Jerry Brown - CSMonitor.com

California Attorney General Jerry Brown on Tuesday filed a civil lawsuit against eight former and current Bell city officials, calling for the recovery of unwarranted salaries amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and calling for the reduction of pension benefits for the officials.

“What is clear is that the City Council and city administrator and other officials abused their public trust,” said Brown in a statement. “They engaged in a collaboration that [amounted] to a civil conspiracy to defraud the public.”

Question; if they're Democrat, Republican, Communist, Nazi, whatever....what does it matter? They screwed up, they got caught, they're getting a foot broken off in their asses, what possible good would come of knowing their political affiliation regardless of what it is?

I personally dont care what political affiliation they are and the fact that you insist that the media rub their identity in people's faces when it's a position you oppose tells me you dont give two ****s about an open and honest media, you only really care about a media opposing the same thing you oppose.

Spare me the fake outrage.

You'll have to take my word on it, but I was watching "The Situation Room" today on CNN and they talked about this story for a good 20 minutes or so and mentioned their party names several times. So I know that news busters thing is wrong on at least that count.

Course I don't have an uploaded video of it or anything, but I saw it. Take that how you will.

It doesn't get any more blatant that this...

Something tells me, this thread won't inspire many responses from the left... At least responses that are on topic.

That would be because these are CITY COUNCIL members, what the hell does party affiliation have to do with any of this? I would wager to say that the majority of people in the U.S. have no idea who their city council members are let alone their party affiliation.

That would be because these are CITY COUNCIL members, what the hell does party affiliation have to do with any of this? I would wager to say that the majority of people in the U.S. have no idea who their city council members are let alone their party affiliation.

You could look at it that way. However, if it was Republicans, that would have been the headline. Whenever a politician is involved in a scandal, I immediately know it's a Dem if I have to search for their party affiliation. It's usually buried in the article, but a Republican affiliation will be in the headline or first paragraph as a rule.

Question; if they're Democrat, Republican, Communist, Nazi, whatever....what does it matter? They screwed up, they got caught, they're getting a foot broken off in their asses, what possible good would come of knowing their political affiliation regardless of what it is?

Not mentioning their party affiliation itself isn't the problem. The problem is the double standard in the main stream media. If these officials had been republicans, it would have been mentioned in every story, followed by every network spending at least a week speculating on how it would hurt the GOP in the upcoming congressional elections.

Anyone who actually pays attention to how the news is presented in this country, isn't surprised by this in the least. It's been a rule of thumb for years now, that when you read or watch a story on TV about political corruption, or a politician screwing up in his personal life, that when there is no party affiliation mentioned, you can bet the farm it was a democrat.

Not mentioning their party affiliation itself isn't the problem. The problem is the double standard in the main stream media. If these officials had been republicans, it would have been mentioned in every story, followed by every network spending at least a week speculating on how it would hurt the GOP in the upcoming congressional elections.

Anyone who actually pays attention to how the news is presented in this country, isn't surprised by this in the least. It's been a rule of thumb for years now, that when you read or watch a story on TV about political corruption, or a politician screwing up in his personal life, that when there is no party affiliation mentioned, you can bet the farm it was a democrat.

Prove it, show us where a City council article mentions Republicans specifically to a crime. Go ahead.

You'll have to take my word on it, but I was watching "The Situation Room" today on CNN and they talked about this story for a good 20 minutes or so and mentioned their party names several times. So I know that news busters thing is wrong on at least that count.

Course I don't have an uploaded video of it or anything, but I saw it. Take that how you will.

Even if they did mention party affiliation on the situation room, the Newsbusters story is still accurate.

If you read the Newsbusters story, you would see that they're talking about the print versions of the story written by their reporters and posted on their websites. They even give you links to all of them.

Last edited:
If they were Republicans, it would have been the first word in every headline on every msm media outlet in the country.

If they were tea partiers, there would be a Congressional investigation and a new $40 billion stimulus to address steroid abuse.

But they're Dems, so they're just random city servants.

Even if they did mention party affiliation on the situation room, the Newsbusters story is still accurate.

If you read the Newsbusters story, you would see that they're talking about the print versions of the story written by their reporters and posted on their websites. They even give you links to all of them.
The idea that you ("I got your liberal media bias right here... Big Time!)
and Newsbusters is obsessed with this is laughable at best. The fact they spent any time on this, is proof they have their thumb up their collective arse. Who gives a rip whether they are Democrats or Republicans. City council members are not usually identified as to what party affiliation they have. Bell, California is a huge metropolis of 37,000 people. :roll:

Major FAIL

If they were Republicans, it would have been the first word in every headline on every msm media outlet in the country.

If they were tea partiers, there would be a Congressional investigation and a new $40 billion stimulus to address steroid abuse.

But they're Dems, so they're just random city servants.
Conservatives love to play victim. Whaaaaaaa

Conservatives love to play victim. Whaaaaaaa

Really?

Then why do liberals blame all their problems, addictions, bad decisions, and screwed-up lives on rich conservatives.

You've built an entire party on playing the victim.

You could look at it that way. However, if it was Republicans, that would have been the headline. Whenever a politician is involved in a scandal, I immediately know it's a Dem if I have to search for their party affiliation. It's usually buried in the article, but a Republican affiliation will be in the headline or first paragraph as a rule.

I would chalk that up to confirmation bias.

Really?

Then why do liberals blame all their problems, addictions, bad decisions, and screwed-up lives on rich conservatives.

You've built an entire party on playing the victim.

Yes, Really!!!! Why didn't Newsbusters say it was a Democratic Attorney General that is suing these fraudsters?

Actually I dont see that it would have made any difference, can you demonstrate that this is what would have happened?

You mean anyone who agrees with YOU. So your political beliefs are kind like religious beliefs; they make more sense if you already believe them to be true rather than relying on things like evidence or logic.

Again, save the fake outrage for someone who cares. If you want to play partisan, do it on someone else's watch because I dont really care.

Usually it means if they were Republicans, then the broad brush of "corruption" would come out and all Republicans would be called corrupt. That they're all Democrats, the broad brush of "who cares" comes out. Who's outraged? No one... I guess they were robbing from the rich and forgot to give to the poor eh? :lol:

Usually it means if they were Republicans, then the broad brush of "corruption" would come out and all Republicans would be called corrupt. That they're all Democrats, the broad brush of "who cares" comes out. Who's outraged? No one... I guess they were robbing from the rich and forgot to give to the poor eh? :lol:
Ok, have you been paying selective attention to the media? I've seen people advocating the Bell politicians be HANGED from the city hall, there is PLENTY of outrage. People just arent as focused on their political lean because it makes no difference.

If you can demonstrate to me why their political lean is important, I'll listen. Until then, come back when partisan season is over.

Ok, have you been paying selective attention to the media?
I pay no more or less attention to it that I normally do.

I've seen people advocating the Bell politicians be HANGED from the city hall, there is PLENTY of outrage.
Not in this thread. Any is that anecdotal evidence you're providing? The real question is, have you seen plenty of people in the media stating that ALL Democrats are just like these Bell politicians? No you haven't. Back to my point - were the political roles reversed, you would.

People just arent as focused on their political lean because it makes no difference.
It makes no difference because they're Democrats. As I stated before, were the political party's reversed, the same "non story" status you're proclaiming would be null and void.

If you can demonstrate to me why their political lean is important, I'll listen. Until then, come back when partisan season is over.
They're political lean is only important when they're Republicans... carry on your partisan rant about nothing.

I personally dont care what political affiliation they are and the fact that you insist that the media rub their identity in people's faces when it's a position you oppose tells me you dont give two ****s about an open and honest media, you only really care about a media opposing the same thing you oppose.

Spare me the fake outrage.

It's all about the new game called gotcha politics, and as we can clearly see Reps play it more often than Dems.

ricksfolly

It's all about the new game called gotcha politics, and as we can clearly see Reps play it more often than Dems.

ricksfolly

What gotcha politics?

So you're "just sayin'" is that correct? You're blasting the media for not doing something that you think they would have done in a hypothetical reality? I'm not sure that argument is a sound one.

How about the one city council member who was being paid 8 thousand a year and demanded that the rest of the council cut their own salaries? He was a democrat! You can't find that in any of the articles! That means that the media hates Democrats!

Back
Top Bottom