• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I got your liberal media bias right here... Big Time!

It's so awkward to hear people say that there is media bias in this issue even though it is played around the clock on every "liberal" news channel I have.

It's so awkward to hear people say that there is media bias in this issue even though it is played around the clock on every "liberal" news channel I have.

Well, never let facts get in the way of a good whinning. :neener

Even if it is a bit of media bias, lets assume the reporters/writers given the task, probably at random, to write these stories wanted to cover up as best they could, which admittedly isn't much since it can't be openly bias in print, it still a unsuccessful attempt at doing so. Because everyone who cares about that issue, which isn't most people, would research the individuals further and party affiliation.

Can we compromise one two things?
1) Party identification should have been given.
2) No one likes people who constantly claim to be victims of something.

Personally I can't stress the second point enough, I'd probably be more conservative in life and on these forums if I didn't have to identify with people who complained so much, whined so much, and constantly held up the tiniest things and claimed they were 'victims' treated unfairly, and how hard everything is on them, then started whining and complaining about it. It really gets old after a while and it creates an image that you're just immature and childish.

But thats my opinion.

If you can demonstrate to me why their political lean is important, I'll listen. Until then, come back when partisan season is over.

Let me have a crack at it.

What this is about, is how the main stream media in America report the news to the public. I'm not talking about political opinion, but the straight, hard, "just the facts" news.

When politicians screw up and it makes the news, the media mentioning their political lean or party in the story, isn't in my opinion that important for them to do. The problem isn't whether they do or they don't in any one story, it's how they report on political stories collectively.

Over the years, a very clear pattern emerged on how the news media reports on political scandals, based on the party of the politician or politicians they are writing about. When a negative story involves democrats, the media may mention party affiliation, but more times than not, the choose not to include that information in their story. When a negative story breaks that involves a republican however, the opposite is true. They will almost always mention their party affiliation within the body of the story, often times mentioning it in the first sentence or paragraph.

You asked why this was important and here's your answer.

The huge majority of the American public doesn't follow politics like those of us on this board do. All they know about republicans and democrats, comes from what they've been told by family and friends over the years, and by what the news media tells them. The lack of balance in reporting on political issues by our news media, creates for the average American, a distorted view of the ethics of the 2 major political parties. A view that doesn't reflect the reality of our political landscape.

Common sense tells us, that when you take all of the corruption stories the public reads about in the news media over the years that mention party affiliation (assuming each party is involved in an equal amount of corruption) and the number of republicans involved out numbers democrats 5 to 1, and even 10 to 1 depending on the media outlet, this is going to effect how people perceive each parties ethical standards.

I don't care if the news media never mentions party affiliation when reporting on political corruption story, or they mention it every time... But for Christs sake, they owe it to the American public to stop selectively including it, based on which party is involved.

Is this really too much to ask?

Last edited:
Well, never let facts get in the way of a good whinning. :neener

I mean seriously. If it was an issue which just isn't being mentioned, maybe they'd have a point. But the fact that it's being played 24/7 with constant emphasis on how a poor town got swindled out of money by it's city council members, I mean honestly.

Over the years, a very clear pattern emerged on how the news media reports on political scandals, based on the party of the politician or politicians they are writing about.
Proof?

Common sense tells us, that when you take all of the corruption stories the public reads about in the news media over the years that mention party affiliation (assuming each party is involved in an equal amount of corruption) and the number of republicans involved out numbers democrats 5 to 1, and even 10 to 1 depending on the media outlet, this is going to effect how people perceive each parties ethical standards.
Can you demonstrate that this is indeed the case?

I don't care if the news media never mentions party affiliation when reporting on political corruption story, or they mention it every time... But for Christs sake, they owe it to the American public to stop selectively including it, based on which party is involved.

Apparently it isnt because it's been demonstrated multiple times that the story in the OP DOES include political affiliation, even though it's a useless piece of information.

You seem to have very selective outrage about this sort of thing.

Some rely on the common sense notion to cover they don't have the actual evidence. I realize I'm getting through, but the only way to measure bias is through language and inaccuracy without consequence. You have to these type of actual studies to prove something like this. It is time consuming and difficult, but it is how it would have to be tackled.

Let me have a crack at it.

But for Christs sake, the media is not computers, they are humam beings. You have no clue!!! What did that guy in NO during Katrina say, "Stuck on Stupid?" :roll:

But for Christs sake, the media is not computers, they are humam beings. You have no clue!!! What did that guy in NO during Katrina say, "Stuck on Stupid?" :roll:

Speaking of that, why wasn't there a huge uproar about Ray Nagin talking about getting New Orleans back to a chocolate city? Imagine if a white republican had talked about getting New Orleans to be a vanilla city. They'd still be marching the streets today.

Dude, you can't argue the bias in the media. Bernie Goldberg worked for CBS news for 30 years. He has access to insider information that you never will. He spilled the beans on CBS in his book, "Bias." I read it. It was fascinating.

You can call it being human, but humans are naturally biased. If it would be split 50-50 that's NATURAL. Having 8 stations being left wing and one being right, that ain't natural. That's bias.

Last edited:

It's something difficult to prove without finding every story that ever involved political corruption. However, I have certainly noticed the pattern. In fact if no party affiliation is mentioned in the first paragraph or two, I know it's a democrat. It's just one of those things. Now, I do not believe reporters do this on purpose. I think it's just an unintentional manifestation of their biases. Anyway, here is an examination of how a couple of scandals were covered. I do not know this website, but assume they are the right wing version of media matters?

NBC Nightly News Finally Calls Spitzer 'Democratic Governor' --3/14/2008-- Media Research Center

Dude, you can't argue the bias in the media. Bernie Goldberg worked for CBS news for 30 years. He has access to insider information that you never will. He spilled the beans on CBS in his book, "Bias." I read it. It was fascinating.
:lamo :lamo Yeah, Bernie Goldberg knows it all. He's a whore and tells the right exactly what they want to hear.

You can call it being human, but humans are naturally biased. If it would be split 50-50 that's NATURAL. Having 8 stations being left wing and one being right, that ain't natural. That's bias.
Do you do the comedy clubs?

:lamo :lamo Yeah, Bernie Goldberg knows it all. He's a whore and tells the right exactly what they want to hear.

Do you do the comedy clubs?

Just like Rachel Maddow and the like tell the left what they want to hear.

Wow, that was one lame ass rebuttal. I expected a better rebuttal out of you. Maybe I shouldn't have. At least next time, don't make your failure so obvious, k?

I'll chock that up as me being right on that one. You couldn't dispute a single thing said in a 300 page book, and your rebuttal is a few smileys? Awesome, that was easy.

Last edited:
I'll chock that up as me being right on that one. You couldn't dispute a single thing said in a 300 page book, and your rebuttal is a few smileys? Awesome, that was easy.
You can chock it up to whatever you feel is best DWBH. I didn't read Bias, however I know you'll be shocked to know not everyone thinks Bernie is telling the truth.

"Bias" Isn't Supported—Because It's Not True

Goldberg marshals little documentation for his claim that the news is packed with the views of liberal advocacy groups and rarely includes conservative opinions. In reality, year after year, right-leaning think tanks are cited in far more broadcast and print reports than either centrist or left-leaning think tanks. A survey by Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting of Nightline's guest list found that for every representative of a labor union invited to debate economic issues, there were seven representatives of corporations.

If, as Goldberg argues, there's a media tilt toward Democrats, then why have Republicans received a majority of newspaper endorsements in all but two presidential elections since 1932?

Prove it, show us where a City council article mentions Republicans specifically to a crime. Go ahead.

Let's just let the conservatives revel in their persecution complex. Maybe we can convince them that this is the a sign of the end of times so they should run to their bunkers and, no matter what, don't come out until Jan 1 or the rapture, whichever comes first.

Former Ocean County assemblyman, Jersey City council candidate indicted in massive FBI sting | NJ.com

If there is no mention of party affiliation in the first 2 paragraphs of a news story, it is almost certainly a democrat that is being accused.

Check this out and see how far you have to read to find out that Galbraith is a Dem. Even then, they don't come right out and say it, unless I missed something.

Vermont State Senate candidate Peter Galbraith to receive millions for financial stake in Iraqi oil field - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

Not mentioning their party affiliation itself isn't the problem. The problem is the double standard in the main stream media. If these officials had been republicans, it would have been mentioned in every story, followed by every network spending at least a week speculating on how it would hurt the GOP in the upcoming congressional elections.

Anyone who actually pays attention to how the news is presented in this country, isn't surprised by this in the least. It's been a rule of thumb for years now, that when you read or watch a story on TV about political corruption, or a politician screwing up in his personal life, that when there is no party affiliation mentioned, you can bet the farm it was a democrat.

prove it. oh wait, you're suspended.

.Notice anything here?
Sep 29, 2010 ... New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino is taking a very unique approach to dealing with the media.
Paladino to Fred Dicker: "I'll take you out!" [VIDEO]--UPDATE | The New York Observer

Sep 30, 2010 ... Gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino (R) got into an angry, expletive-filled exchange with a reporter for the New York Post when asked to ...
44 - Carl Paladino to reporter: 'I'll take you out'

Sep 30, 2010 ... Last night at a campaign event in Lake George, the New York Republican gubernatorial nominee and New York Post state editor Fred Dicker had ...
Paladino Confronts Journalist: 'I'll Take You Out, Buddy!' (VIDEO) | TPMDC

Sep 30, 2010 ... The Republican candidate for New York Governor and a newspaper reporter tell us what triggered their on-camera argument.
Paladino, Reporter Speak About Confrontation - Local News - Buffalo, NY - News - msnbc.com
Sep 30, 2010 ... This is the showdown between New York Post Reporter Fred Dicker and Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino. ...
Paladino, Reporter Speak About Confrontation | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Local

Sep 30, 2010 ... A recent confrontation between New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino and a newspaper columnist illustrates the ...
Paladino scuffle with reporter 'Tony Soprano-like' - CNN.com

Connecticut Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal lied about service record in Vietnam. Published: Monday, May 17, 2010, 11:24 PM Updated: Tuesday, May 18, ...
Richard Blumenthal held a press conference today responding to allegations—made in a front-page New York Times story today, summarized here —that he ...
Blumenthal: Vietnam Fib 'Absolutely Unintentional' - Says Times insulted Marine Reserves

May 18, 2010 ... UPDATE: Richard Blumenthal defended himself against charges that he repeatedly made misleading comments about his military service during a ...
Richard Blumenthal Claimed Vietnam Service But Never Went; Calls NYT Report 'Outrageous Distortion'

May 20, 2010 ... Richard Blumenthal, front-runner in the Connecticut race for US Senate, said he served 'in Vietnam.' He didn't, and the 'misstatements' hurt ...
Richard Blumenthal Vietnam

May 19, 2010 ... Blumenthal explained Tuesday that he meant to say he served "during" Vietnam, not "in" Vietnam. And he stressed that "there were no special ...
Senate hopeful Richard Blumenthal addresses report he lied about Vietnam record

May 17, 2010 ... I served in the military during the Vietnam War, but I did not serve in Vietnam. Whenever I speak or write about my service during the ...
Richard Blumenthal

May 18, 2010 ... Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal -- faced with allegations that he misled voters about his military service during the ...
Blumenthal Claims He Misspoke About Vietnam Military Record, Defends Service - FoxNews.com

- MassLive.com My Wide World - MassLive.com

what should i notice?

how does the msm treat these stories?

What is there to notice?

what should i notice?

how does the msm treat these stories?

Paledino= GOP, Republican, Gubernatorial Candidate (R)

Blumenthal= hmmmm no idea.

but I'm sure you noticed that.

Um... this story gets lots of local coverage. I see it every morning on the local news. It's in in L.A. times every couple of days.

So, fail on Grim's part...

Paledino= GOP, Republican, Gubernatorial Candidate (R)

Blumenthal= hmmmm no idea.

but I'm sure you noticed that.

I think you should check again.

Prove it, show us where a City council article mentions Republicans specifically to a crime. Go ahead.

Don't get your panties in a wad, you know yourself that the MSM is left.

Thanks especially to Grim17 for starting this thread and for Barbbtx for providing some good (and typical) fodder for discussion. Fair studies have been done proving the liberal bias of the MSM and there is no doubt. The Paladino and Blumenthal headlines are classic... and typical. I've said all along that our present sad state of affairs is not only the fault of liberal policians - biased MSM deserves much of the credit by Pied Pipering many mindless saps to pull levers with "D" next to the names because they are too lazy to do their own research. And we get candidates line McCain and Obama! I still don't get the motivation of the left wing media... hoping to become the next Pravda perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom