• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I got the flu shot, what did I get?

noonereal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
I finally got the flu shot. First one I have ever had.

I asked what was in it... what strains it may protect me against? The attendee did not know. The Doctor did not know. A second doctor did not know.
Instead they tried to hand me papers which advocated the flu shot be taken.

So I am wondering, does anyone here know what was in their flu shot? What strains am I possibly protected against? If the received the appropriate vaccine? Who manufactured it? Was it age/method of delivery appropriate?

and if not, why not? What a society of sheep we are. Government tells us to get a flu shot (not the best solution to flu to start with) and we go.

I asked what was in it... what strains it may protect me against? The attendee did not know. The Doctor did not know. A second doctor did not know.

So I am wondering, does anyone here know what was in their flu shot? What strains am I possibly protected against? If the received the appropriate vaccine? Who manufactured it? Was it age/method of delivery appropriate?

and if not, why not? What a society of sheep we are. Government tells us to get a flu shot (not the best solution to flu to start with) and we go.

You may have become sheepish but don't blame others for your (uniformed?) personal choice to get a flu shot. The truth of the matter is that you (alone) volunteered to get a flu shot.

You may have become sheepish but don't blame others for your (uniformed?) personal choice to get a flu shot. The truth of the matter is that you (alone) volunteered to get a flu shot.

So, in other words, you are a mindless drone. You I knew were already from your inane posts on on other subjects but thanks for the verification!

The doctors definitely have access to all the information you requested so any failure there would be down to them. I doubt they schedule any time for such explanations (whether they should or not).

I’ve never had one (out of perceived lack of need rather than any concern) but I know the general answers and could find the specific ones if I needed to. I’m not sure a lot of people would understand much of the technical detail behind those answers though and so there will always need to be a level of trust in the clinical professionals in evolved, just as we have in professionals who manage all sorts of other critical roles in our lives (directly or indirectly).

What a society of sheep we are. Government tells us to get a flu shot (not the best solution to flu to start with) and we go.
Should we just blindly accept your open assertion that flu shots aren’t the “best solution” to flu? Baa? ;)

Stupid doctors. What the hell do they know?

Poor little sheepy-sheepy doesn't know how to use the internet.

Let me help you, sheepy:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

So, in other words, you are a mindless drone. You I knew were already from your inane posts on on other subjects but thanks for the verification!

Nope, it was you who (mindlessly?) accepted a flu shot offered yet are now expressing doubts about the wisdom of having done so. The time to solicit advice is before you make such a decision.

You eat, drink, ingest, and other are exposed to countless things every day, and you have no clue what’s in 99% of them. It’s routine.
A flu shot is new to you, and doctors, needles, flu...this all concerns you. So you are paranoid. This is normal. Relax, and enjoy the day.

You can find out what’s in it, it’s got a label they can access, it’s in some solution, all documented. They are distributed to millions, stop worrying about it. If it was the first year we invented them..be concerned. But today, it’s not a concern.

And yes, if there is an epidemic that puts civilization at risk, they DO want you to just hurry and get vaccinated. The people that don’t, may put themselves and others at serious risk. Part of the reason flu shots are done is precisely that...to ensure we have an infrastructure in the United States that is a well oiled machine in terms of identifying viruses, developing vaccines, and distributing that vaccine to the population. That’s maybe the most important, but low frequency, reason. So be thankful our medical capabilities are as good as they get, and that smarter people than us have established a system to ensure we are at least somewhat ready to handle an epidemic...remembering that historically they happen for sure.

The World Health Organization is responsible for what strains of flu to develop a vaccine for. I know the flu vaccination gets a lot of bad publicity because somebody knows someone who got the shot and still developed the flu. But that same person doesn't know how many around them didn't get the flu after being vaccinated. Even if you don't receive the shot you do receive benefit of those who did which help reduce the spread in the "herd".

Most of us here can probably handle being down for up to a week with a flu that knocks them on their butts. But with the elderly or those with compromised immune systems it can definitely be deadly.
Due to the rapid evolution of flu viruses we will probably never have a 100% effective vaccination.

If the nurse who gave you the shot told you this year it was guided to protect you against B/Colorado/06/2017, A/Michigan/45/2015, A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016, and B/Phuket/3073/2013 it wouldn't really give you any additional information. Hopefully this season's batch will give better protection than last year's which was only 25% effective.

It is what it is. I never get sick from getting the flu shot and even though it isn't 100% I will take any help I can get to prevent the flu. For one thing I am the biggest wuss about having to bend over the ivory throne and throw up every single drop of fluid from my stomach lining.

The current flu shot is made from a crankcase additive called "Motor Honey".

Your Doctor should be able to explain what the composition of your vaccine is and what strains they are attempting to protect you from.

The vaccines change each year here (Australia), based on recommendations from The World Health Organization Conference held in September. (They look at all the current information about influenza, including the recent patterns of flu epidemics across the world, to decide which strains of flu are likely to be most common in the next flu season. Vaccines are created to protect against these strains, usually containing three or four strain vaccines.)

You will be grateful for the added protection if you are unfortunate enough to be hit with the actual flu. The flu vaccine can have some minor side effects but the flu vaccine does not actually cause the flu so the symptoms aren't as severe as having the flu itself.

It actually makes me giggle when someone suggests they have the "flu" after having the shot. I'm sorry, toughen up please, you don't have the flu and I can guarantee you that if you were ever unfortunate enough to get it, you would know all about what the flu actually is then.

Nope, it was you who (mindlessly?) accepted a flu shot offered yet are now expressing doubts about the wisdom of having done so. The time to solicit advice is before you make such a decision.

not at all

I was well aware going in that it was likely pot luck. I accepted it, for the first time in my life, because I;ll likely be in the hospital once or twice during flu season and have no control of my environment. As such, and factoring in the really low incident of negative affects, I decided it MIGHT, although unlikely, protect me from complications.

Trust me, I do nothing without a self evaluation. Nothing.

I started this thread to cause folks to think.

personally, I'd abolish the flu shot if I were King and put the cash into implementing and enforcing, stopping disease spreading actions we engage in daily.

Your Doctor should be able to explain what the composition of your vaccine is and what strains they are attempting to protect you from.

The vaccines change each year here (Australia), based on recommendations from The World Health Organization Conference held in September. (They look at all the current information about influenza, including the recent patterns of flu epidemics across the world, to decide which strains of flu are likely to be most common in the next flu season. Vaccines are created to protect against these strains, usually containing three or four strain vaccines.)

You will be grateful for the added protection if you are unfortunate enough to be hit with the actual flu. The flu vaccine can have some minor side effects but the flu vaccine does not actually cause the flu so the symptoms aren't as severe as having the flu itself.

It actually makes me giggle when someone suggests they have the "flu" after having the shot. I'm sorry, toughen up please, you don't have the flu and I can guarantee you that if you were ever unfortunate enough to get it, you would know all about what the flu actually is then.

A lot of the anti-vaxx crowd thinks that there's the flu inside of the vaccine, when in reality it's a dead piece of the microbe. So that you body can kill it with no harm, and it will be able to recognize the real thing and kill it when it shows up. But of course that crowd doesn't understand that. More like they don't want to, really.

The World Health Organization is responsible for what strains of flu to develop a vaccine for. I know the flu vaccination gets a lot of bad publicity because somebody knows someone who got the shot and still developed the flu. But that same person doesn't know how many around them didn't get the flu after being vaccinated. Even if you don't receive the shot you do receive benefit of those who did which help reduce the spread in the "herd".

Most of us here can probably handle being down for up to a week with a flu that knocks them on their butts. But with the elderly or those with compromised immune systems it can definitely be deadly.
Due to the rapid evolution of flu viruses we will probably never have a 100% effective vaccination.

If the nurse who gave you the shot told you this year it was guided to protect you against B/Colorado/06/2017, A/Michigan/45/2015, A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016, and B/Phuket/3073/2013 it wouldn't really give you any additional information. Hopefully this season's batch will give better protection than last year's which was only 25% effective.

It is what it is. I never get sick from getting the flu shot and even though it isn't 100% I will take any help I can get to prevent the flu. For one thing I am the biggest wuss about having to bend over the ivory throne and throw up every single drop of fluid from my stomach lining.

A couple things. First off, you post is overall pretty good.

The CDC makes recommendations on what to vaccinate against based on trends, but manufactures are not held to so do. (as I understand) Plus, vaccines are made differently and delivery systems differ. Both of which effect success. Not to mention, different vaccines for different age groups. So I can't just run to the CDC site and know what I am protected against. Plus, you mention the WHO. You may well be right that they make the recommendation but I have never read that. Like I said, I believe it is the CDC.

As to last years batch... too funny. I argued a few weeks ago with someone that worked in this industry and he claimed the effective rate was 60% last year! I laugh because I know it was said to be about 20% effective last year during the outbreak BUT as time went on, the figure jumped up! I have no doubt that someone change how the number is calculated to get a better effective %.

Poor little sheepy-sheepy doesn't know how to use the internet.

Let me help you, sheepy:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

You ignorant idiot... This does not tell me what I ask. Dope, just stupid.

YOU are the ignorance that allows such a superficial lack of accountability. Good grief. I so disdain stupidity.

and I see you got a like. Let me just say, that poster is as ignorant as you. And then they let you vote, This country is ****ed.

Stupid doctors. What the hell do they know?

Is this ever true!!!!!!!

I have stories that span a lifetime. I'd be dead if I blindly followed.

Working in collaboration with a secure doctor is how to maximize your health.

Sure should but could not. Two of them.

Well aware but I believe the CDC makes the recommendations to big pharma for USA consumption which dominates the world market.

again, well aware.

Indeed. i have had the flu 4 times in my life, twice I needed the hospital. Dopes sneeze and yell flu and associate it with the shot.

Unfortunately, your post tells me what the doctor told me, which I already know. It does not tell me what I actually got or if it was age appropriate. I do know the delivery method, I guess they do to as they administered it.

The doctors definitely have access to all the information you requested so any failure there would be down to them. I doubt they schedule any time for such explanations (whether they should or not).

Should or not? Are you serious?

Good God.

I’ve never had one (out of perceived lack of need rather than any concern) but I know the general answers and could find the specific ones if I needed to. I’m not sure a lot of people would understand much of the technical detail behind those answers though and so there will always need to be a level of trust in the clinical professionals in evolved, just as we have in professionals who manage all sorts of other critical roles in our lives (directly or indirectly).

Really? How do you know which vaccine a specific doctor purchased and from who?

I know the general answers. I obviously know more than most.

Should we just blindly accept your open assertion that flu shots aren’t the “best solution” to flu?

No.

Isn't that the point of this thread? To say no one should blindly just follow along?

Not sure how this pertains except that you are superficial yet presume yourself differently.

Should or not? Are you serious?
Yes. I don’t think it’d be practical if the doctor had to allow enough time for every single vaccine recipient to receive detailed answers to any question they might have. There needs to be routes for patients to get that information if they want it, I just don’t see that as a viable means to achieve it.

Really? How do you know which vaccine a specific doctor purchased and from who?
It’d be on the box it came in. A random patient may or may not be able to interpret that information of course. That’s part of the problem I’m talking about. Even if the doctors spent time providing all of the information, many patients still wouldn’t be in a position to make an informed decision.

Isn't that the point of this thread? To say no one should blindly just follow along?
I totally agree with that in principle, the question is what practical outcome you’re expecting. As I said, when we’re dealing with a complex technical field, most of us are inevitably going to have to trust in what the experts in that field tell us to some extent.

The three most commonly expected strains are put into vaccines. It takes several weeks to create a batch large enough to inoculate everyone. Sometimes the CDC guesses wrong which is why some years the shot doesn't protect against the prevailing strain. FWIW, as a frequent traveler, I always stay current on my shots including the annual flu shot.

OTOH, we could talk about chemtrails. :)

Back
Top Bottom