• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I Got My First Above Minimum Wage Job

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I just got my first above minimum wage job for 4 months through my school's co-op program at Pratt & Whitney. I am really excited to start, as I have never worked a job like it before and it is very relevant to my degree.

I just got my first above minimum wage job for 4 months through my school's co-op program at Pratt & Whitney. I am really excited to start, as I have never worked a job like it before and it is very relevant to my degree.

Congrats, and good luck to you. :)

Congratulations!

Exceed their expectations. Be a sponge of knowledge and wisdom from your fellow employees. Give praise and thanks for their selfless assistance as you acclimate to your surroundings. And most important, be a giver beyond what is required, or expected, without expecting anything in return.

Do that, and its likely the wave you are riding will never crest, but just keep on flowing.

Congrats. Good on you! Much success in the new job, and learn everything you can.

And what aircraft are their engines used on, again?

I may want to modify my flying habits! :2razz:

Congratulations!

Exceed their expectations. Be a sponge of knowledge and wisdom from your fellow employees. Give praise and thanks for their selfless assistance as you acclimate to your surroundings. And most important, be a giver beyond what is required, or expected, without expecting anything in return.

Do that, and its likely the wave you are riding will never crest, but just keep on flowing.
You're hired! :thumbs:

Good job and good luck learn from everyone and work all the overtime you can.
It will pay off.

Follow Ocean's advice and you'll become very well paid and indispensable. Very good to see you're not a young person who believes you "deserve" a big salary right out of school.

All the very best - and save all you can afford to save because one day you'll be lucky enough to be retired like me!!

And what aircraft are their engines used on, again?

I may want to modify my flying habits! :2razz:

You're hired! :thumbs:

Well Pratt & Whitney Canada focuses on turboprop engines for planes and turborotor engines for helicopters. Their turborotors are used in Blackhawk helicopters, other military helicopters, and a few civilian helicopters. Their turboprops are used mainly in business aircraft. They also do some jet engines which are used in fighter aircraft, Pratt & Whitney are providing the engines for the F-35.

Follow Ocean's advice and you'll become very well paid and indispensable. Very good to see you're not a young person who believes you "deserve" a big salary right out of school.

All the very best - and save all you can afford to save because one day you'll be lucky enough to be retired like me!!

Any money I save will most likely go to paying rent in Dublin the semester after. I do not believe I deserve a big salary right out of school, but I think I can earn an above average salary since my degree and the skills it teaches are a lot more rare than say accounting or other business degrees.

Last edited:

Youre moving up in the world, well done! :applaud:party:drink:clap:

Well done. This is just the beginning of a great and wonder-filled life. I'm happy for you, and I can feel the excitement in your words. Again, well done. Now, do everything you can to take advantage of this opportunity, and to reward those that gave you this opportunity as well - ocean515 gave you some very wise advice - I would heed it.

Well Pratt & Whitney Canada focuses on turboprop engines for planes and turborotor engines for helicopters. Their turborotors are used in Blackhawk helicopters, other military helicopters, and a few civilian helicopters. Their turboprops are used mainly in business aircraft. They also do some jet engines which are used in fighter aircraft, Pratt & Whitney are providing the engines for the F-35.

F-35 eh? Well at least you'll have jb security!

F-35 eh? Well at least you'll have jb security!

Well if the Canadian government does not go with the F-35 they will move production elsewhere but that does not really affect me since a) they mainly produce turboprops and turborotors and b) my job is only from September - December. Though if all goes well hopefully they night hire me back for one of my other work terms.

Congrats!

What is minimum wage in Canada?

Congrats!

What is minimum wage in Canada?

Varies by province, in Ontario it was $11/hour, and in Quebec it is $10.75/hour. Here is a list. According to my school I should be making anywhere from $14-$20/hour.

Last edited:

Do a good job. Don't start a petition drive for a dress code of your choice. Remember the bosses last name is sir or Ma'am, whichever is applicable, and you'll go far.

My grandson just graduated from engineering school this year. Always interned. He had several job offers. Ended up at a major firm in his field at $60K.
Always wore khakis and a button down shirt. Nowhere to go but up.

Do a good job. Don't start a petition drive for a dress code of your choice. Remember the bosses last name is sir or Ma'am, whichever is applicable, and you'll go far.

My grandson just graduated from engineering school this year. Always interned. He had several job offers. Ended up at a major firm in his field at $60K.
Always wore khakis and a button down shirt. Nowhere to go but up.

That is what I am trying for,a job offer after I graduate, though I may go get a master's.

You're on your way to becoming conservative! Congratulations!

Varies by province, in Ontario it was $11/hour, and in Quebec it is $10.75/hour. Here is a list. According to my school I should be making anywhere from $14-$20/hour.

For the love of God....don't screw this up.

Let me give you some advice my old mom gave me.

The party will always be there...

Meaning don't feel like your missing out on the fun. Don't ruin any good chances you have with drugs or alcohol or going out and wanting to party.

Any money I save will most likely go to paying rent in Dublin the semester after. I do not believe I deserve a big salary right out of school, but I think I can earn an above average salary since my degree and the skills it teaches are a lot more rare than say accounting or other business degrees.

Man, don't knock accounting, lol. Anyway my youngest has a lot more rare degree than accounting too, he's doing alright for his first "real" job. They make all kinds of parts for things including jet engine parts for Rolls Royce. He likes it.

Work hard and learn everything you can it will help when you graduate.

Man, don't knock accounting, lol. Anyway my youngest has a lot more rare degree than accounting too, he's doing alright for his first "real" job. They make all kinds of parts for things including jet engine parts for Rolls Royce. He likes it.

Work hard and learn everything you can it will help when you graduate.

I was in accounting and I have still have a lot of friends who are, I can knock it all I want. I left accounting because even after one class I found it dreadfully boring.

That is what I am trying for,a job offer after I graduate, though I may go get a master's.

I'd hold off on the masters, work some and find where your interests lie, then get a masters, a lot of employers will pay for them. My older boy has an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and his employer is paying for him to get his masters in electrical engineering. It'll take 5 years to complete, but he still works full time while he's doing it.

I was in accounting and I have still have a lot of friends who are, I can knock it all I want. I left accounting because even after one class I found it dreadfully boring.

twas a joke, accounting isn't for everyone and yes the basics can be boring, but it is the language of business.

Back
Top Bottom