• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I find abortion repugnant, but making it illegal makes the problem worse

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I support pro-choice not for philosophical reason, I find abortion repugnant but for pragmatic reasons I support it.

1. Making abortion illegal won't stop abortions.
2. Making abortion illegal will increase injuries and deaths to women, disproportionally harming poorer women.

Making it illegal makes the abortion problem worse, similar to prohibition makes alcohol problem worse.
Therefore, it's legality is a necessary evil ( if you believe it's evil ).

I support pro-choice not for philosophical reason, I find abortion repugnant but for pragmatic reasons I support it.

2. Making abortion illegal will increase injuries and deaths to women, disproportionally harming poorer women.

Making it illegal makes the abortion problem worse, similar to prohibition makes alcohol problem worse. Therefore, it's legality is a necessary evil ( if you believe it's evil ).

I don't believe abortion is evil. I see it as a medical procedure, which women have the right to choose if they don't want to stay pregnant, give birth, or be a mother. I don't believe any woman likes abortion, just as none of us would like to have any other surgical procedure done. But she should have the right to decide for herself whether she will have an abortion or not.

Making it illegal makes the abortion problem worse, similar to prohibition makes alcohol problem worse.
Why do you find abortions repugnant? To most people who are against abortions its nothing more than legalized murder of innocent babies. So the idea that we should keep abortion legal so that women trying to murder their babies don't harm themselves is akin to saying lets keep murder legal so that the attempted murderers don't hurt or kill themselves while trying to commit murder.(yeah I ams sure some abortionist scum will tell me its not murder)

Why do you find abortions repugnant? To most people who are against abortions its nothing more than legalized murder of innocent babies. So the idea that we should keep abortion legal so that women trying to murder their babies don't harm themselves is akin to saying lets keep murder legal so that the attempted murderers don't hurt or kill themselves while trying to commit murder.(yeah I ams sure some abortionist scum will tell me its not murder)

The idea in allowing abortions in the early months is that is none of the states business. It derives originally from the same argument that the state has no business in the intimate lives of married couples, i.e. contraception, homosexuality, etc.

The idea in allowing abortions in the early months is that is none of the states business. It derives originally from the same argument that the state has no business in the intimate lives of married couples, i.e. contraception, homosexuality, etc.
I am sure parents who beat the shit out of their kids say its none of the states business how they discipline their kids. When someone is trying to harm or kill a baby it is the state's business.

I am sure parents who beat the shit out of their kids say its none of the states business how they discipline their kids. When someone is trying to harm or kill a baby it is the state's business.

The big difference being, of course, that those children are already born...

Then protect babies.

But a fetus is fair game

So 8 months in the womb its okay for a woman to kill her baby for whatever reason she wants?

So 8 months in the womb its okay for a woman to kill her baby for whatever reason she wants?

Sigh... If you had ever actually read Roe v. Wade, you would have already answered this question for yourself.... Roe v. Wade held that the states interest in the unborn child increases as the child reaches the time of birth. Early in the pregnancy, the individuals right to privacy exceeds the states interests. As the unborn child grows the states interest increases. Virtually every case the court has taken up since is about the point where the states interests exceeds the individuals privacy rights.

Hence, my contention that Roe v. Wade will never be overturned... Far more than abortion depends on this concept..

I agree with that argument. The state doesn't have any business in the intimate lives of married couples regarding sex, contraception, homosexuality, etc., nor should it. The state has no business in the intimate lives of single people in those matters either.

No matter how often prolifers say it, a fetus isn't a "baby." And making abortion illegal isn't going to make a woman change her mind if she really doesn't want to stay pregnant, give birth, or be a mother.

:rolleyes: If I remember correctly, elective abortion at the 8th-month stage of pregnancy isn't an option. A woman can't get an abortion at that point "just because." It would only be done for a compelling medical emergency, and usually on a wanted pregnancy.

Why do you find abortions repugnant? To most people who are against abortions its nothing more than legalized murder of innocent babies. So the idea that we should keep abortion legal so that women trying to murder their babies don't harm themselves is akin to saying lets keep murder legal so that the attempted murderers don't hurt or kill themselves while trying to commit murder.

There is no such thing as legalized murder. Murder, by definition, is an illegal act.

Abortion has never been murder in the history of your country or mine.

If you took the coronavirus more seriously, that would mean one fewer reasons that your views are pure hypocrisy.

Around 270,000 people die each year of Sepsis.
Around 606,520 people die each year of cancer.
Around 99,000 people die each year of health care acquired infections each year.

Yes. Seeing how hospitals get paid from the government for Covid-19 deaths I seriously doubt all those deaths are actually the result of Covid-19.

Unless the warmongers in the republican party and democrat party try to use this covid-19 to **** China or use this to suppress our rights I think things will return to normal shortly after the election. Right now this is being blown way the **** out of proportion to **** the economy.A sitting president doesn't do well in the polls when the economy goes to **** and the media overall is owned by a handful of people.

COVID deniers are NOT prolife. :)

Sigh... If you had ever actually read Roe v. Wade, you would have already answered this question for yourself.... Roe v. Wade held that the states interest in the unborn child increases as the child reaches the time of birth. Early in the pregnancy, the individuals right to privacy exceeds the states interests. As the unborn child grows the states interest increases. Virtually every case the court has taken up since is about the point where the states interests exceeds the individuals privacy rights.

Hence, my contention that Roe v. Wade will never be overturned... Far more than abortion depends on this concept..
A simple look at the different stages of fetus development demonstrates why this makes sense. A fetus does not begin to resemble a human being until about the fourth month. 91% of abortions are performed at less than 13 weeks gestation. Another 7.7% are performed between 14-20 weeks. My suspicion is that the vast majority of the remaining 1.3% are undertaken for medical reasons.

I believe that "life" begins at conception, but no one will ever convince me that aborting a form of life the shape and size of a pea is in any way equivalent to killing a human baby, as opposed to many other forms of life which we humans take for various reasons every day without batting an eye.

Although I know it's uncomfortable, I think people should also keep in mind that by some estimates 57 million abortions have occurred since Roe v. Wade. If all of those pregnancies had come to term, that is an additional 57 million unwanted children, many or even most of them born into poor, often single-parent households, to have grown up with very little private or public resources. Anyone who thinks that a policy prohibiting abortion will not have incredibly serious and negative social and economic consequences for this country is fooling himself/herself.

On month:
4518_907_1565-six-month-old-fetus.jpg

1586504823.9049-37528.png

Last edited:
If you took the coronavirus more seriously, that would mean one fewer reasons that your views are pure hypocrisy.

COVID deniers are NOT prolife. :)
The death toll of unborn babies are drastically much higher than covid-19 deaths.

I agree with someone who finds abortion distasteful but would rather not make it illegal, thereby denying rights to living, breathing, walking American citizens. We should all bear in mind that the unborn are not citizens with rights under the constitution. However, women are and do.

No one is having elective abortions at 8 months. If a woman is getting an abortion that late in her term, it’s due to a serious medical issue with either herself or the fetus.

Do you believe that anyone 'likes' abortion?

Most, if not all, pro-choice supporters recognize that only a woman, (sometimes with her Dr,) knows her health and circumstances in life and knows what she needs in order to preserve her life, health, and responsibilities to current family (dependents, eldlerly, disabled), and commitments and obligations to employer, church, community, society, etc.

Last edited:
Agreed.

And suffer. And that suffering affects their ability to become mentally and physically capable of becoming contributing citizens of the US...something that affects all society.

The unborn know and suffer nothing.

Please provide data that shows women EVER abort healthy viable fetuses (unless their own lives are in danger)?

The death toll of unborn babies are drastically much higher than covid-19 deaths.

Assuming for the moment that a ZEF is a person, you obviously believe that 200,000 deaths are just fine for your ilk, but a higher number is not. I've always wondered how many dead people your ilk was okay with. Now we finally have a rough estimate!

A simple look at the different stages of fetus development demonstrates why this makes sense. A fetus does not begin to resemble a human being until about the fourth month. 91% of abortions are performed at less than 13 weeks gestation. Another 7.7% are performed between 14-20 weeks. My suspicion is that the vast majority of the remaining 1.3% are undertaken for medical reasons.

I believe that "life" begins at conception, but no one will ever convince me that aborting a form of life the shape and size of a pea is in any way equivalent to killing a human baby, as opposed to many other forms of life which we humans take for various reasons every day without batting an eye.

Although I know it's uncomfortable, I think people should also keep in mind that by some estimates 57 million abortions have occurred since Roe v. Wade. If all of those pregnancies had come to term, that is an additional 57 million unwanted children, many or even most of them born into poor, often single-parent households, to have grown up with very little private or public resources. Anyone who thinks that a policy prohibiting abortion will not have incredibly serious and negative social and economic consequences for this country is fooling himself/herself.

Thank God for the voices of reason and rationality.

Back
Top Bottom