• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I feel sorry for the younger generation

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I really do.

I had a few over to the house the other day to fish one of the ponds. One of them exclaimed, "You must be rich!" when they looked around my house.

Um no, we aren't, but my generation had better opportunities like better paying jobs and college was much much cheaper! At some point the fact that this younger generation doesn't have the opportunities we baby boomers did, and either can't afford college or are saddled with debt when they graduate is going to hit the fan.

So what happens when the middle class younger generation can't afford a home or even a decent car and has to settle for fast food jobs below minimum wage? And they can't afford to move away from Mom and Dad? I see catastrophe in the making. Or am I wrong?

Sorry, but that is a defeatist attitude. There are many opportunities for young people. Here is a a man and his foundation that is showing this to be true: Mike Rowe Besides Mr. Rowes scholarship foundation here is a government organization for those that can't take advantage of such scholarships: Job Corps

What needs to be done is people need to stop perpetuating the myth that you can only succeed if you pay lots of money and and go into dept and go to college. Trade jobs will always be needed and are excellent sources of income. You just need to WORK...Hard. IMO Millennial's now a days don't know the meaning of that and that is where the concern should be.

I really do.

I had a few over to the house the other day to fish one of the ponds. One of them exclaimed, "You must be rich!" when they looked around my house.

Um no, we aren't, but my generation had better opportunities like better paying jobs and college was much much cheaper! At some point the fact that this younger generation doesn't have the opportunities we baby boomers did, and either can't afford college or are saddled with debt when they graduate is going to hit the fan.

So what happens when the middle class younger generation can't afford a home or even a decent car and has to settle for fast food jobs below minimum wage? And they can't afford to move away from Mom and Dad? I see catastrophe in the making. Or am I wrong?

What it all boils down to is government focus on economy. In other words...money.

The only thing that's going to give those children the kinds of opportunities that you had is...

1. Less government control over the economy. In other words...get the government out of the way.

2. What government control that is necessary, make sure it's focused on Main Street instead of Wall Street.

btw, this is EXACTLY what Trump is trying to do.

I really do.

Wrong. Kids who achieve can get free college in many state universities. Also it has been my thought that it is a parents' duty to provide for their needs. Thus they should be the ones paying for college. Kids who work hard in school and have that aptitude can still get good paying jobs. In addition not everyone is suited for college. There are plenty of well paying trade jobs.

So to me it is about the individual. As the saying goes:

"You can't soar with the eagles if you hang with turkeys".

I really do.

I'm still in college. Thankfully, because of the Hazelwood Act here in Texas, I can get out of college debt-free if it all goes as planned. And I'm keeping my grades up (got all A's on my classes for the fall semester) so I just gotta keep it up.

Sorry, but that is a defeatist attitude. There are many opportunities for young people. Here is a a man and his foundation that is showing this to be true: Mike Rowe Besides Mr. Rowes scholarship foundation here is a government organization for those that can't take advantage of such scholarships: Job Corps

What needs to be done is people need to stop perpetuating the myth that you can only succeed if you pay lots of money and and go into dept and go to college. Trade jobs will always be needed and are excellent sources of income. You just need to WORK...Hard. IMO Millennial's now a days don't know the meaning of that and that is where the concern should be.

I agree on one thing: The myth perpetuated that you can't succeed unless you go to college has done a lot of damage. That said it's too late for many of these people that are saddled with debt. If they're lucky they can get into an apprenticeship where the education is paid for, but we don't have a lot them in this country. Europe yes. The U.S. no.

And btw do you know what trades people think of college grads? I do. I once applied to get into an electrical apprenticeship program before I became self employed. I aced the tests. Guess what? Was told I failed miserably. I know that was not the case. I think it's likely they didn't expect me to stick around with my college degree. I do my own electrical work for my two business now btw. Been told to my face we don't want no stinking' college boy here once in a factory job. Refused to train me.

Here's some good reading for you. Apparently I'm not the only one apprehensive.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/the-15-trillion-student-debt-bubble-is-about-to-pop-cm976619

Last edited:
I really do.

It's rough for sure. Wages have stagnated and prices are increasing. Cost of living is ridiculous, and nearly all of my friends and associates have massive amounts of student loan debt and hardly any savings. The below article is a good read. It really demonstrates the bind we're in. We need some serious changes if things are going to improve.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/stop-blaming-millennials-killing-economy/577408/

What it all boils down to is government focus on economy. In other words...money.

The only thing that's going to give those children the kinds of opportunities that you had is...

1. Less government control over the economy. In other words...get the government out of the way.

2. What government control that is necessary, make sure it's focused on Main Street instead of Wall Street.

What an oddly delusional thing to assert.

There is no credible evidence, whatsoever, that that's what Trump is trying to do. Zero. None.

I call bull. My generation works just as hard as any American generation prior to us. The difference being is that we are less compensated than those previous generations. It's not a defeatist attitude, it's just plain reality. No one is quitting here, I sure as hell ain't. However, we must recognize the reality we are in if we ever want to navigate through it.

I really do.

Well, I am that younger generation. I know people my age with college degrees, but serving tables as their main source of income, because it's the only job they can get. A lot of people my age don't own homes, and are waiting longer than usual to have children.

In many ways, I am lucky, but I have gone through a lot of trouble to get where I am. I have a good paying job. I own a house, and I have no kids, just a husband.

I went to college and struggled to find work. I drove out of state for job interviewers. I spent long hours in the car driving, and sometimes stayed in hotel rooms just for an interview. Many places were not interested in hiring somebody out of town, so I was shot down a lot for that reason. I often tried to hide the fact that I was out of town. I was willing to temporarily live in a hotel if I had to, because I was desperate to get something.

Sometimes people really liked my resume, and would have me come in for an interview. I would drive hours to meet them, but to my horror, they sometimes said they were in a hiring freeze and had nothing to offer, but just wanted my details for future opporunuties. That kind if stuff would make me mad, because I put some much time, practice, and energy into interviewing. What a waste of my time.

I ended up getting a job out of state and moving. I then had to have a major surgery, and diagnosed with a medical condition. I have medical debt and student loan debt. If I didn't have either, my quality of life would be much different. I wasn't able to buy a house until meeting my husband.

So here I am. I have a nice house, good car, and a good paying job, but my disposable income is bare because of student loans and medical debt. I don't know how I could afford to have children if I wanted them. My medical bills run 10 to 20 thousand, annually. I don't spend money I don't have, and I am not going into deeper personal debt. It's hard to save for retirement, but I have plans to retire outside of the US.

I am concerned about the budget deficit and the insolvency of programs like SSN, Medicare, state retirement funds, and all other spending budgets. I think my generation is going to be left with a budget crisis and insolvency issues. When Trump passed the last round of tax cuts, I remember Morning Joe saying, these millenials and their kids are going to have to pay extremely high tax rates at some point, just to sustain the current level of spending we have. I think he is right.

I have many, many concerns about the future of this country. I talk to my husband about it, and we both have determined that it's in our best interest to plan on retiring outside America. We research real estate, exchange rates, health care costs, etc. I am not counting in something or somebody coming along and fixing all these issues. We, my husband and I, are taking matters into our own hands.

I really do.

It was easier for me to get my first job out of college than it is to move up the ladder. A big problem is education too. Schools just don't teach you that and I'm not sure they can. Most of us grew up thinking we could get paid decently for things we like to do (since the older guys told us this) and it seems only the prestigious schools have networking events that will help you get those high paying jobs in the first place. A lot of people in my generation try out hobbies and side gigs until we make it big or turn 30. But we are living longer.

Well, I am that younger generation. I know people my age with college degrees, but serving tables as their main source of income, because it's the only job they can get. A lot of people my age don't own homes, and are waiting longer than usual to have children.

In many ways, I am lucky, but I have gone through a lot of trouble to get where I am. I have a good paying job. I own a house, and I have no kids, just a husband.

I went to college and struggled to find work. I drove out of state for job interviewers. I spent long hours in the car driving, and sometimes stayed in hotel rooms just for an interview. Many places were not interested in hiring somebody out of town, so I was shot down a lot for that reason. I often tried to hide the fact that I was out of town. I was willing to temporarily live in a hotel if I had to, because I was desperate to get something.

Sometimes people really liked my resume, and would have me come in for an interview. I would drive hours to meet them, but to my horror, they sometimes said they were in a hiring freeze and had nothing to offer, but just wanted my details for future opporunuties. That kind if stuff would make me mad, because I put some much time, practice, and energy into interviewing. What a waste of my time.

I ended up getting a job out of state and moving. I then had to have a major surgery, and diagnosed with a medical condition. I have medical debt and student loan debt. If I didn't have either, my quality of life would be much different. I wasn't able to buy a house until meeting my husband.

So here I am. I have a nice house, good car, and a good paying job, but my disposable income is bare because of student loans and medical debt. I don't know how I could afford to have children if I wanted them. My medical bills run 10 to 20 thousand, annually. I don't spend money I don't have, and I am not going into deeper personal debt. It's hard to save for retirement, but I have plans to retire outside of the US.

I am concerned about the budget deficit and the insolvency of programs like SSN, Medicare, state retirement funds, and all other spending budgets. I think my generation is going to be left with a budget crisis and insolvency issues. When Trump passed the last round of tax cuts, I remember Morning Joe saying, these millenials and their kids are going to have to pay extremely high tax rates at some point, just to sustain the current level of spending we have. I think he is right.

I have many, many concerns about the future of this country. I talk to my husband about it, and we both have determined that it's in our best interest to plan on retiring outside America. We research real estate, exchange rates, health care costs, etc. I am not counting in something or somebody coming along and fixing all these issues. We, my husband and I, are taking matters into our own hands.

It's good that you are financially stable. I worry about that all the time; anxiety towards the future. Hopefully I can find a good job once I get out of college.

We also have an exremly higher cost of living, so making 40 to 50K a year isn't what it used to be. They may not have student loan debt, but throw in the cost of a family and mortgage, ontop of the insane medical bill of having a baby, and the medical costs children incur on families, and it's not that easy.

That was all your generation's fault!!! You guys told us and our parents that you need a college degree, only then will you be successful. Also common advice was to get a college degree in something you like doing. The chinese millennials do it differently IMO. They aren't lazy MotherF***ers that's for sure. So I think the myth of the lazy Millennial should stop being spread because well we don't all live in giant communes and there's no woodstock.

These are the same talking points since Reagan, and since before I was born. It doesn't seem to be working or helping my generation.

Trade schools of my generation and before should be reestablished.

It's rough for sure. Wages have stagnated and prices are increasing. Cost of living is ridiculous, and nearly all of my friends and associates have massive amounts of student loan debt and hardly any savings. The below article is a good read. It really demonstrates the bind we're in. We need some serious changes if things are going to improve.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/stop-blaming-millennials-killing-economy/577408/

I've got 5K in my savings. I probably need to start saving more.

We also have an exremly higher cost of living, so making 40 to 50K a year isn't what it used to be. They may not have student loan debt, but throw in the cost of a family and mortgage, ontop of the insane medical bill of having a baby, and the medical costs children incur on families, and it's not that easy.

I also really worry about being able to afford children. I do want kids, and my parents really want to be grandparents one day, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Particularly considering I'm not going to be having kids the old-fashioned way. The extra cost of adoption or IVF is really prohibitive, and the field I'm going into isn't exactly a money-pit.

I don't think it has one thing to do with what generation you were born in, but all about the decisions that you make throughout your life. If you want to be a successful adult, you should start making wise choices in your younger years. Some people have it easier because they have parents who give a damn about their future and make them do their homework, study for tests, not go out drinking every weekend and help them to realize that making very poor choices now will greatly effect them later. Some kids will have a harder time with this because of things out of their control like their parents, homelife or other factors. That hasn't ever changed - we have that in every generation.

I'm still in college. Thankfully, because of the Hazelwood Act here in Texas, I can get out of college debt-free if it all goes as planned. And I'm keeping my grades up (got all A's on my classes for the fall semester) so I just gotta keep it up.

I didn't have anything like that. I had scholarships but I still had to take loans.

If my college education was completely free or affordable, I would have went for a PHD in sciences. Instead I went for business science, because I knew I would make good money and owe less.

I have family members working in hospitals. Emergency room doctors are loaded down with debt. It's very sad, because it's preventing people from becoming medical doctors. I have seen it first hand.

My mom was working with a young DR at the hospital, and she living in am apartment, paying thousands a month in debt, and washing her clothes in a coin machine.

The American system is brutal, and it probably will become unsustainable. It's actually costing us talented, educated professionals

I also really worry about being able to afford children. I do want kids, and my parents really want to be grandparents one day, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Particularly considering I'm not going to be having kids the old-fashioned way. The extra cost of adoption or IVF is really prohibitive, and the field I'm going into isn't exactly a money-pit.

We're in the same boat, sister. I'm entertaining the idea of adopting in the future, but I worry about not having the cash, too.

I've got 5K in my savings. I probably need to start saving more.

Yes. If you have no debt (other than a mortgage) you should be building up your savings to be able to live off of it for 3-6 months in case of a medical or career emergency.

I agree on one thing: The myth perpetuated that you can't succeed unless you go to college has done a lot of damage. That said it's too late for many of these people that are saddled with debt. If they're lucky they can get into an apprenticeship where the education is paid for, but we don't have a lot them in this country. Europe yes. The U.S. no.

And btw do you know what trades people think of college grads? I do. I once applied to get into an electrical apprenticeship program before I became self employed. I aced the tests. Guess what? Was told I failed miserably. I know that was not the case. I think it's likely they didn't expect me to stick around with my college degree. I do my own electrical work for my two business now btw. Been told to my face we don't want no stinking' college boy here once in a factory job. Refused to train me.

Here's some good reading for you. Apparently I'm not the only one apprehensive.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/the-15-trillion-student-debt-bubble-is-about-to-pop-cm976619

The college myth needs to be discussed, because I have seen people getting into college and taking out thousands in debt, and they really don't belong in college. It would be better for them if they went somewhere that was a better fit.

For example, I have seen people with serious drug issues getting into a University and taking out thousands in loans, then quitting. Some people even use the funds as spending money. Some of the cash they get, could be a grant, but still... This is what happens when a University is for profit, and everybody can apply for financial aid.

Then there are people who love education, and want to go to college for the passion of learning. I consider myself in this group, and I always wanted to go to college and study, but the high cost is a major discouragement.

The entire way America views and treats a college education is being skewed.

I agree with everything accept your last statement. How is trump trying to get the government out of education? And his trade war is crushing main street. Seems to me, trump couldn't give 2 ****s about the common man.

Back
Top Bottom