• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

I feel so secure

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This area of security....is in my mind , one of the most likely ways for a massive terrorist attack. The amount of Damage that could be done might far exceed that done (financially) by the 9/11 attacks. And yet.....we cut the budget.....I see no sense in this at all.

"The Treasury Department says that cyber crime has now outgrown illegal drug sales in annual proceeds, netting an estimated $105 billion in 2004, the report said.

At the same time, the Department of Homeland Security's 2005 research budget for cybersecurity programs was cut 7% to $16 million. "

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/29/technology/computer_security/index.htm?cnn=yes

I bring this to your attention, mainly because it is part of a pattern of neglect by this "department of homeland security". Between this, lack of protection for Nuclear/Chemical/Fuel plants....Border security etc....I am left to wonder what this heavily funded entity actually accomplishes....other than wiretaps.

I agree that many programs are underfunded. It seems as though our venture into Iraq has cost us more than we bargained for. We were told in the begninning that Iraq's oil profits would pay for reconstruction. Has that been the case? No. You want to know why useful domestic programs are being cut? It's because the Iraq war is set to top $500 billion in 2006. Our military budget is more than the next 19 countries combined. How are we supposed to fund homeland security when we have a 500 billion dollar monkey on our back?

I feel so secure too, tecoyah. After all, the bipartisan 9-11 Commission gave the Bush administration multiple F's in its failure to impliment its recommendations. Boy, our current president is all about keeping us secure. :roll:

:lol: Maybe we just haven't given up enough of our civil liberties

Back
Top Bottom