• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I Failed the Covington Catholic Test. Next time there’s a viral story, I’ll wait for more facts to e

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...rman-i-failed-covington-catholic-test/580897/

"I Failed the Covington Catholic Test. Next time there’s a viral story, I’ll wait for more facts to emerge.

The story is a Rorschach test—tell me how you first reacted, and I can probably tell where you live, who you voted for in 2016, and your general take on a list of other issues—but it shouldn’t be. Take away the video and tell me why millions of people care so much about an obnoxious group of high-school students protesting legalized abortion and a small circle of American Indians protesting centuries of mistreatment who were briefly locked in a tense standoff. Take away Twitter and Facebook and explain why total strangers care so much about people they don’t know in a confrontation they didn’t witness. Why are we all so primed for outrage, and what if the thousands of words and countless hours spent on this had been directed toward something consequential?

If the Covington Catholic incident was a test, it’s one I failed—along with most others. Will we learn from it, or will we continue to roam social media, looking for the next outrage fix?

If you want the whole story and draw your own conclusions from the video, here it is:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuc...eople-in-power-attacking-people-theyve-failed

But the overarching problem is you shouldn't have to watch it yourself. The media should have presented the issue fairly since it was largely non partisan - abortion, Indian land, Catholic school, and a radical black group. What did the media show as "truth"? An old man and a high school kid in a rigged scene.

Holy crap how many threads are there on this social media click-bait?
And why is it in the political forums? This is a social media video-gone-viral.

Let me guess.

Let me guess.

Cuz if it was fake this time, it's fake every time.

What the folks posting and reposting this stuff fail to realize that it still says something that everyone believed it instantly. That's the image these folks have. Getting it wrong once won't matter because it'll be right more often than it's wrong...which is a shame, on both counts.

Cuz if it was fake this time, it's fake every time.

What the folks posting and reposting this stuff fail to realize that it still says something that everyone believed it instantly. That's the image these folks have. Getting it wrong once won't matter because it'll be right more often than it's wrong...which is a shame, on both counts.

Its because the media wants a group of white Catholic high school kids to be the face of America’s racism. The MSM wants that, they need that, and they will do what it takes to sell it.

Let me guess.

Only in TRump's America is such **** behaviour celebrated.

Its because the media wants a group of white Catholic high school kids to be the face of America’s racism. The MSM wants that, they need that, and they will do what it takes to sell it.

Well, Chuck, to be fair, the MAGA hat has been seen at many a bad scene. I don't think the media "wants" or "needs" a group of white Catholic high school kids to be the face of America's racism, that's odd to me. Rather, maybe they're wrong this time, but the other nine out of ten times they're not...so when presented with those (or similar, I'm chatting, not being scientific) odds, you can understand why they'd just go and believe it.

When people talk about the negative impact of being douchebags, this is it. It's like the boy who called wolf. Maybe you get the benefit of the doubt a few times, but eventually people are willing to think the worst of you, whether your deserve it or not.

(A bunch of universal you's there, Chuck...I'm not calling you a douchebag)

At some point you need to give serious reflections to the stereotypes being applied to your demographic, and determine if they are warranted, either by what you do, or by what you tolerate, or by what you stay silent about, or by what you excuse. Until then, I would imagine the benefit of the doubt will be rarely extended.

The Fake News/Lying Left is too invested in its manufactured narrative/agenda to be bothered checking the veracity of its propaganda. Don't expect that to change.

Well, Chuck, to be fair, the MAGA hat has been seen at many a bad scene. I don't think the media "wants" or "needs" a group of white Catholic high school kids to be the face of America's racism, that's odd to me. Rather, maybe they're wrong this time, but the other nine out of ten times they're not...so when presented with those (or similar, I'm chatting, not being scientific) odds, you can understand why they'd just go and believe it.

When people talk about the negative impact of being douchebags, this is it. It's like the boy who called wolf. Maybe you get the benefit of the doubt a few times, but eventually people are willing to think the worst of you, whether your deserve it or not.

(A bunch of universal you's there, Chuck...I'm not calling you a douchebag)

At some point you need to give serious reflections to the stereotypes being applied to your demographic, and determine if they are warranted, either by what you do, or by what you tolerate, or by what you stay silent about, or by what you excuse. Until then, I would imagine the benefit of the doubt will be rarely extended.

So have hard hats and "do-rags".

The school was shut down today...America has spoken...No white bigots...Not now...Not ever

The school was shut down today...America has spoken...No white bigots...Not now...Not ever

No white bigots exposed , just the BLACK ONES , of the Black Israelites, and the Native American deriding the white kids.

Covington Catholic is NOT CLOSING...by any stretch of the imagination. If they are closed today, it's to UP SECURITY for protection from the foamy-mouthed left threats.

No white bigots exposed , just the BLACK ONES , of the Black Israelites, and the Native American deriding the white kids.

Covington Catholic is NOT CLOSING...by any stretch of the imagination. If they are closed today, it's to UP SECURITY for protection from the foamy-mouthed left threats.

They'll be closed again/...America will not stand with these White Nationalist Bigots

The school was shut down today because it is a holiday. Its “TDS day”. Didnt you know that? Free coffee at Salvation Army! Better hurry!

Had the kid not being wearing a MAGA hat, this would not have made the news. It's pure manufactured outrage.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...rman-i-failed-covington-catholic-test/580897/

If you want the whole story and draw your own conclusions from the video, here it is:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuc...eople-in-power-attacking-people-theyve-failed

But the overarching problem is you shouldn't have to watch it yourself. The media should have presented the issue fairly since it was largely non partisan - abortion, Indian land, Catholic school, and a radical black group. What did the media show as "truth"? An old man and a high school kid in a rigged scene.

I disagree we all have a responsibility to look deeper into stories Fox and MSNBC started polluting news a very long time ago now and its only gotten worse. I agree news should do better but that not an excuse for lack of looking deep.

as for the topic, i passed with flying colors!!!
my stance hasnt changed at all. there was new info i learned about the entire scene . .other players involved, other harassment, other videos and etc etc but the only things i actually commented on i still stand by 100% because theres been no factual evidence to change it.

Basically it was along the lines of some of the kids acted like ignorant punks because of their mocking behaviors, im glad the schools condemned their mocking behavior and I hope more punishment comes for those students both through the school and parents. Theres no reason to change any of that :shrug:

as for the melee comments made about by others about: this side vs that side, maga, trump, obama, racists, media, black people, brown people, white people, loony leftist extremists, conservatards etc etc thats for others to make their amends with lol

The school was shut down today because it is a holiday. Its “TDS day”. Didnt you know that? Free coffee at Salvation Army! Better hurry!

I believe it was closed today due to bomb and shooting threats made against the school.

Back
Top Bottom