• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I Don't Know if this is a Trend

sawdust

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Recently I've read articles about some countries swinging in a conservative direction in their election cycles. Norway just elected their version of a conservative leader. While not conservative by our standards she ran on a promise of decreased taxation while preserving their social network. Norway is a very wealthy country with vast petroleum reserves. They will only run out of other peoples money when the oil is gone.

In Australia they also replaced liberal leaders with conservative leaders. It leads me to believe that after years of economic issues globally people are putting fiscal concerns at the top of their wish lists for elected officials. Liberalism certainly doesn't promote careful fiscal planning, being more concerned with so called social justice over the laws of economics.

Perhaps in three years the US will turn to leaders who believe in some sort of fiscal sanity.

Recently I've read articles about some countries swinging in a conservative direction in their election cycles. Norway just elected their version of a conservative leader. While not conservative by our standards she ran on a promise of decreased taxation while preserving their social network. Norway is a very wealthy country with vast petroleum reserves. They will only run out of other peoples money when the oil is gone.

In Australia they also replaced liberal leaders with conservative leaders. It leads me to believe that after years of economic issues globally people are putting fiscal concerns at the top of their wish lists for elected officials. Liberalism certainly doesn't promote careful fiscal planning, being more concerned with so called social justice over the laws of economics.

Perhaps in three years the US will turn to leaders who believe in some sort of fiscal sanity.

There is no "trend." This is just the common "back and forth" between political ideas. You know, where one party gets in and screws up while the other party complains; then the complaining party gets their chance to start screwing up until people get tired and vote the other way again.

There is no "trend." This is just the common "back and forth" between political ideas. You know, where one party gets in and screws up while the other party complains; then the complaining party gets their chance to start screwing up until people get tired and vote the other way again.

I think we agree although I would call the swing a trend. It's a matter semantics.

Except in these parliamentary systems it is not one or the other they way the false choice is presented to voters in the US. Norway, for instance, will have a coalition government in which conservative factions and more liberal factions will actually **shock shock** have to work together to retain power and formulate policy. Not every place is in as big of a race to the bottom the way the US is with itself.

With (now) 43% of Federal tax filers paying no Federal income tax, we're going to have a rough row to hoe. But it'd better happen -- and soon. And while we do focus on the Federal aspect, it holds true from the local level on up.

With (now) 43% of Federal tax filers paying no Federal income tax, we're going to have a rough row to hoe. But it'd better happen -- and soon. And while we do focus on the Federal aspect, it holds true from the local level on up.

It is too late already. Add to the non-taxpayers all that work directly for the gov't (100% supported by tax money) and you have a majority.

Gov't. Employment Ranges From 38% in D.C. to 12% in Ohio

I think we agree although I would call the swing a trend. It's a matter semantics.
It's great on fiscal matters that Norway and Australia pulled left this year, but I wouldn't say the same for social policies.

At the same time, you forget that the left in Albania and Italy pulled victories this year. Angela Merkel may also be struggling in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom