• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I don't know about you .....

upsideguy

Pragmatic Idealist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
..... but today is the first day in about 4 years where I feel things are settling into normal. I did not realize just how affected I have been by the nonstop chaos that the Trump presidency has brought. It has elevated my blood pressure. Today, for the first time in a long, long time I have felt as I have on the first day of a long overdue vacation.

I think its time for another margarita......

margarita.jpg

Oh waiter ......

(PS - we still have a ways to go, but finally the end is in sight....)

I don't drink alcohol, but I love Mountain Dew and virgin pina coladas. :)

Dang it, Guy, you've put that song "Margaritaville" in my head and I can't get rid of it! :)

..... but today is the first day in about 4 years where I feel things are settling into normal. I did not realize just how affected I have been by the nonstop chaos that the Trump presidency has brought. It has elevated my blood pressure. Today, for the first time in a long, long time I have felt as I have on the first day of a long overdue vacation.

View attachment 67306130

Oh waiter ......

It might be more normal than Trump's normal, but IMO normal is a lie.

Normal is what we call it when we're comfortable, and we should never be comfortable in that way for more than a week or so, and that only when on vacation.

This country had a bunch of problems before Trump, before Obama, before Bush, and for that matter before it was even a country.
Many of those problems have been addressed or ceased to matter.

But some remain, and new ones appear every year.

Biden will be better than Trump on some things, but it's less likely he'll be better than Obama on some other things, and those are the things which brought us Trump.

Things like income inequality, the shrinking middle class, infrastructure issues, and ability to get needed medical care without paying heavily for it.

It might be more normal than Trump's normal, but IMO normal is a lie.

Normal is what we call it when we're comfortable, and we should never be comfortable in that way for more than a week or so, and that only when on vacation.

This country had a bunch of problems before Trump, before Obama, before Bush, and for that matter before it was even a country.
Many of those problems have been addressed or ceased to matter.

But some remain, and new ones appear every year.

Biden will be better than Trump on some things, but it's less likely he'll be better than Obama on some other things, and those are the things which brought us Trump.

Things like income inequality, the shrinking middle class, infrastructure issues, and ability to get needed medical care without paying heavily for it.

So we are clear, I am not suggesting our problems are over. They are not. To expand my metaphor, you go on vacation to temporarily escape your life, yet get in touch with it. You sort though the things that you struggle with so that when you return you have a mindset and the energy to tackle them. IMHO, we have had four years of chaos. None of America's real problems were solved or even really addressed. We just had turmoil. So much like a vacation, the problems are not gone, but the mindset (the optimism) and the energy is being recharged

I am only remarking about how I feel at the moment. I see this as a respite from a long journey in difficult conditions. The journey remains. We will have to get back on the road, but I feel a degree of optimism that the weather is improving and road ahead (and it challenges, which will be many) will not be as treacherous as that which we just traveled.

So we are clear, I am not suggesting our problems are over. They are not. To expand my metaphor, you go on vacation to temporarily escape your life, yet get in touch with it. You sort though the things that you struggle with so that when you return you have a mindset and the energy to tackle them. IMHO, we have had four years of chaos. None of America's real problems were solved or even really addressed. We just had turmoil. So much like a vacation, the problems are not gone, but the mindset and the energy is being recharged.

I am only remarking about how I feel at the moment. It is a respite from a long journey in difficult conditions. The journey remains. We will have to get back on the road, but I feel a degree of optimism that the weather is improving and road ahead (and it challenges, which will be many) will not be as treacherous as that which we just traveled.
I think that if anything good came from Trump's presidency, it was that for me at least, it highlighted further how fragile and based on tradition some of the things I assumed were required are.

For example what was done on the border to refugees and others.

Some of that should not be allowed.

I think that if anything good came from Trump's presidency, it was that for me at least, it highlighted further how fragile and based on tradition some of the things I assumed were required are.

For example what was done on the border to refugees and others.

Some of that should not be allowed.

Yes, I agree. In fact, I posted a similar sediment this morning. Trump exposed the soft underbelly of American democracy that if we don't shore up will one day be exploited by someone smarter and more cunning than he....

View attachment 67306130

Oh waiter ......

Be still my heart! I'll have one :)

View attachment 67306130

Oh waiter ......

I think once we've had some time away from Trump, we'l decide we never want to go back. Kinda' like a passionate, but abuse relationship. We become emotionally mired in it.But when it ends and some time passes, we can't believe how bad it was and how long we stayed!

So we are clear, I am not suggesting our problems are over. They are not. To expand my metaphor, you go on vacation to temporarily escape your life, yet get in touch with it. You sort though the things that you struggle with so that when you return you have a mindset and the energy to tackle them. IMHO, we have had four years of chaos. None of America's real problems were solved or even really addressed. We just had turmoil. So much like a vacation, the problems are not gone, but the mindset (the optimism) and the energy is being recharged

I am only remarking about how I feel at the moment. I see this as a respite from a long journey in difficult conditions. The journey remains. We will have to get back on the road, but I feel a degree of optimism that the weather is improving and road ahead (and it challenges, which will be many) will not be as treacherous as that which we just traveled.
You're not alone @upsideguy, I feel the same way. The chaos and lunacy of the past four years is coming to an end, a little late, but I'll take it. President Biden will inherit a mess from this clown, but he's smart and organized, one step at a time he'll do his best for this country and do what he can to repair the damage.

Wow, I feel bad for all of you stressing out over Trump. Try not to let these petty things overbear you. There is way more to life out there than politics. You just need to find it.
Glad you are all feeling better now.

Back
Top Bottom