• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"... I did nothing wrong by being a gay man" after wrongful firing by catholic school

I'm not defending the church on a personal level just stating why they believe they have the right to fire someone who doesn't practice all the tenants of their faith. The church probably believes they had a BFOQ.

-- A “BFOQ” stands for Bona Fide Occupational Qualification, and differs from the right to discriminate in that it allows an employer to discriminate based on religion, sex, or national origin if the position absolutely requires one of these protected classes.

An important distinction between the two, is that BFOQ is more narrowly defined as opposed to a religious organization’s right to discriminate. The former relates more to the job itself, whereas the latter focuses on the nature of the employer.--
Well the court says otherwise. Their discrimination is limited to religion only. I find even that over the line for lay people they employee. It violates the right to privacy.

So again, why are you so obsessed with sodomy you want to force people to recognize it as anything other then sexual disorder?
Who died and made you king of deciding what is a "sexual disorder"?

Well the court says otherwise. Their discrimination is limited to religion only. I find even that over the line for lay people they employee. It violates the right to privacy.

I agree that employers have no right to delve into an individuals' private life if it doesn't directly affect the business or organization in a negative manner.

If the school is owned and run by the church, then I imagine it's considered part of a religious organization?

I'd say it's affiliated with the religious organization... but it's also affiliated with the State. The school has to maintain a certain academic standard, for instance, to be accredited as a legitimate school. The teachers it hires have to be licensed. The curriculum has to meet certain standard (ie, it can't be a Catholic madras that just teaches religion all day). The school probably receives some level of State or Federal funding as well (consistent with the so-called Lemon Test). There's a lot of public/private overlap there that doesn't exist for a purely religious organization.

Or "lives in sin"? If he goes to confession once a week, should he not be absolved of that week's sodomies? 3 "hail Marys" and whatnot? The hypocrisy of it is rather stark.

Agreed... plus the fact that the School made very clear that he was dismissed purely as a result of announcing his wedding on Facebook. I could see his dismissal being appropriate if he was espousing Satanic beliefs or advocating child abuse or something along those lines.... but it seems to me that it ought to be completely appropriate and understandable conduct for someone to announce their wedding without fear of dismissal.

Last edited:
Most Catholics are suppressed gays scared of being judged by God.

Back
Top Bottom