• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I can't drive a manual.

Being able to now drive a manual on regular roads means I have been able to practice down shifting more, and from higher speeds.

However, it seems that no matter what I do, there's always someone telling me it's wrong.

For example, I was told to double-clutch to shift up or down. Then a 2nd person tells me not to double-clutch, but use the engine's RPMs to shift up or down. After that, a 3rd person tells me not to use the engine to slow down because "that wears out the engine faster, just take it out of gear and use the service brake". So I take it out of gear and use the service brake, but here comes a 4th person to tell me not to do that because it's hard on the brakes, that I should use more distance to slow so that I don't have to use the engine RPMs and only apply the service brake right before I want to actually stop.

Honestly I like to listen and try everything. I'll get it. But now all 4 of these people all say I don't listen to instruction, even-though they were the one's contradicting each-other and I'm just trying to learn how to operate the damn thing.

Arg!

Being able to now drive a manual on regular roads means I have been able to practice down shifting more, and from higher speeds.

However, it seems that no matter what I do, there's always someone telling me it's wrong.

For example, I was told to double-clutch to shift up or down. Then a 2nd person tells me not to double-clutch, but use the engine's RPMs to shift up or down. After that, a 3rd person tells me not to use the engine to slow down because "that wears out the engine faster, just take it out of gear and use the service brake". So I take it out of gear and use the service brake, but here comes a 4th person to tell me not to do that because it's hard on the brakes, that I should use more distance to slow so that I don't have to use the engine RPMs and only apply the service brake right before I want to actually stop.

Honestly I like to listen and try everything. I'll get it. But now all 4 of these people all say I don't listen to instruction, even-though they were the one's contradicting each-other and I'm just trying to learn how to operate the damn thing.

Arg!

Over time you will develop your own sense of when and how to do things, i.e.: downshift, etc.

I learned in a manual (3 on column) in a 63 plymouth with a clutch like mashed potatoes. Over the years I've purchased both manual and auto. Had a Datsun B210 5 speed which was my favorite. The most fun was driving on a winding country road, downshifting on turns avoiding the brakes when possible (and when safe).

Driving a manual is fun, but a real bit*h in heavy traffic.

I've driven both manuals and automatics. For city driving I'd choose an auto every time, but on narrow country and mountain roads, where I do 90% of my driving, a 6-speed manual will turn ordinary driving into a real pleasure. Manuals are waaay more fun, and they're appreciably more economical. Horses for courses.

It's not something most people learn anymore.

I learned but I seriously doubt my kids will. Hell, half the time I find myself wondering if my kids will have to learn to drive at all.

I learned but I seriously doubt my kids will. Hell, half the time I find myself wondering if my kids will have to learn to drive at all.
I didn't start driving until my mid 20s. I never needed to. Up until then I either lived in a city where it made more sense to use public trans, or everything I did was local and I could never justify the cost of a car...especially in CA.

Then the inevitable happened: I had to drive my truck on a freeway 40 miles back to the yard. There was no one else available who could drive it for me, or drive with me. I really don't understand what I did during those 40 miles that now caused the truck to refuse to go into 1st gear, and the clutch grinds constantly in and out of gear.
It probably needs fluid.

Arg!

if you need to or are told to double clutch,you are using a non syncronous transmission.they can be speed shifting by rpm,but even that will eventually damage the trans in the long run.double clutching in any truck is like driving an old deuce and a half military truck.

they use non syncronous transmissions because they are the strongest and cheapest available.there are constant mesh transmissions almost as strong that dont require double clutching,but are more expensive and mostly found on the newest trucks.syncronous transmissions are usually found in 1/2 ton-3 ton standard through heavy duty trucks,they olny need to be single clutched,but are much weaker than non syncronous and constant mesh units.

id advise doubleclutching it unless youve had loads of experience.it may be annoying,but you cant go wrong,most telling you to rpm shift it have been driving those trucks a while and know their exact rpm ranges and when the transmissions syncronizes.

I learned in a manual (3 on column) in a 63 plymouth with a clutch like mashed potatoes. Over the years I've purchased both manual and auto. Had a Datsun B210 5 speed which was my favorite. The most fun was driving on a winding country road, downshifting on turns avoiding the brakes when possible (and when safe).

Driving a manual is fun, but a real bit*h in heavy traffic.

when i have to test drive customers cars in downtown killeen,my route on the way back faces uphill at the red light.never fails some jack%ss stops one inch behing the rear bumper,and im always scared when im test driving a car with a bad clutcth,that it will roll backwards before it applies.

ofcourse in texas the insurance would immediatly label the guy whostopped right on the bumper at fault,for not leaving a safe distance,especially uphill.

when i have to test drive customers cars in downtown killeen,my route on the way back faces uphill at the red light.never fails some jack%ss stops one inch behing the rear bumper,and im always scared when im test driving a car with a bad clutcth,that it will roll backwards before it applies.

ofcourse in texas the insurance would immediatly label the guy whostopped right on the bumper at fault,for not leaving a safe distance,especially uphill.

Oh yeah... hills can be scary. Once you find the sweet spot on the clutch... it's a piece 'a cake.

Oh yeah... hills can be scary. Once you find the sweet spot on the clutch... it's a piece 'a cake.

its hard on customers cars though,each car is different,and im always driving different cars every day,not the same one over.worst are the cars with race clutches,where 1/4 inch pedal travel is the difference between not moving and launching through a wall,as those clutches were designed for dragstrips and race tracks,not practical day to day driving.

I didn't start driving until my mid 20s. I never needed to. Up until then I either lived in a city where it made more sense to use public trans, or everything I did was local and I could never justify the cost of a car...especially in CA.

Well, I mean because we'll probably have self-driving cars by the time my kids would be old enough to start driving.

Well, I mean because we'll probably have self-driving cars by the time my kids would be old enough to start driving.
According to the 1980s we're supposed to have flying cars by now.

#backtothefuture

I learned how I drive on a manual. Went back and forth on my cars but most have been manuals. If you live where it snows they are awesome to drive because if you are going down an icy street just slip it in first gear and coast down with minimal breaking. I drive a manual right now and it's just fun to drive.

I learned how I drive on a manual. Went back and forth on my cars but most have been manuals. If you live where it snows they are awesome to drive because if you are going down an icy street just slip it in first gear and coast down with minimal breaking. I drive a manual right now and it's just fun to drive.

Good point about brakes. Driving in the mountains a manual saves big time on brake pads. A friend who drives an auto goes through a set of brake pads every year. I've gone through 2 sets in 7 years because I let the gears take the strain. Going to the nearest town is a 7km drop down into the valley. I can always tell when I'm following an automatic because the brake lights are on almost the whole time. Auto drivers don't seem to use (and I guess some cars don't have) low-ratio gearing.

its hard on customers cars though,each car is different,and im always driving different cars every day,not the same one over.worst are the cars with race clutches,where 1/4 inch pedal travel is the difference between not moving and launching through a wall,as those clutches were designed for dragstrips and race tracks,not practical day to day driving.

Never drove a race clutch before, but I'm sure by your description it's just bunches of fun!!

Yeah those triple disk clutches are a pain in the rear. There either on or off! Not a lot of modulation in them at all. The new race trans we use has an internal clutch and much easier to use.

Never drove a race clutch before, but I'm sure by your description it's just bunches of fun!!

Oh yeah they are awesome! If you ever want to see something funny just go watch someone who has never driven one try to get the car moving. Watched a guy try ten times before he gave up and got out of the car. His buddies were laughing their butts off. It takes some finesse that's for sure.

According to the 1980s we're supposed to have flying cars by now.

#backtothefuture

Yeah, but there are already self-driving cars on public streets. They aren't ready for sale to the public yet, but the technology's out there, and it won't be too many more years before they start selling them.

well theres usually multi disk and cam locking clutches.

the multi disk are a pain because they were designed to launch a car fast,instead of driving down the street.

the locking cam types are even worse for daily driving,since you can still somewhat slip a multi disk if your good at it,a locking cam has a cam that applies heavy preasure and locks the clutch until the pedal is pushed in again.do you may try to slip it,and a 1/8th a second later the cam locks and it either launches or dies.

the locking cam clutches were designed for drag strips,designed to give just enough slip to keep the engine from stalling until the cam kicks in,then balls to the wall.

well theres usually multi disk and cam locking clutches.

the multi disk are a pain because they were designed to launch a car fast,instead of driving down the street.

the locking cam types are even worse for daily driving,since you can still somewhat slip a multi disk if your good at it,a locking cam has a cam that applies heavy preasure and locks the clutch until the pedal is pushed in again.do you may try to slip it,and a 1/8th a second later the cam locks and it either launches or dies.

the locking cam clutches were designed for drag strips,designed to give just enough slip to keep the engine from stalling until the cam kicks in,then balls to the wall.

sounds like fun, however I'll pass. I know my limitations. :)

Yesterday I was with a guy that revved the engine and shifted to 2nd, then immediately revved the engine and shifted to 3rd, etc, hitting 6th gear about 10 seconds after we started moving. Is that what 'short-shifting' is?

How fast were you going. 6th gear in 10 seconds?
Now the 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds had a 2nd gear skip shift if you were under a certain speed. It would go right to 3rd on the T56 manual trans.
But getting up in to 6th without flying is hard on the engine and trans.

6th gear in 10 seconds on this 30 year old old flat-bed loaded down with construction cargo = 30mph.

Oh, a heavy load. But six speeds. Most old flats had a 5 speed Spicer trans.

Oh, a heavy load. But six speeds. Most old flats had a 5 speed Spicer trans.
Yes he went through the first 4 low speeds, flipped the switch, and was in the second high speed, within 10 seconds. Is that what "short-shifting" is?

I've never seen this truck go over 60mph. 1st & 2nd gear on this truck barely get you over 5mph, but are very good in sand with the dif-locks in.

Back
Top Bottom