• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'I cannot teach in Florida': LGBTQ educators fear fallout from new school law

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Last month, a group of parents in Orlando, Florida, demanded “consequences” against sixth grade science teacher Robert Thollander. His crime? Thollander acknowledged his marriage at school.

Sixth-grade? I thought the Don't Say Gay bill only targeted teachers for third grade and below. Looks like it's open season on all of them now.

Thollander denied having discussed his marriage since he and his husband tied the knot in March of last year, aside from acknowledging it when he was asked. No action was taken against him by school leaders, who defended him several days later with a letter of their own, he said.

Nevertheless, the incident prompted Thollander to make this school year his last after 11 years of working in Florida as a teacher.

This is what righties want, to purge schools of any teacher that doesn't conform to their right-wing views.

This is coming everywhere. Florida is just the start.

Integrityrespec

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Sixth-grade? I thought the Don't Say Gay bill only targeted teachers for third grade and below. Looks like it's open season on all of them now.

This is what righties want, to purge schools of any teacher that doesn't conform to their right-wing views.

I don't expect any teacher to go into detail about their love life, their dating life, their marital situation, and certainly not their sex life with students. Just like I'd not expect them to discuss their drug use, drinking and partying behavior. Yes, I'm married, yes I date some, yes that's ok but let's not go too deep into things that lead to sexual conversations in the classroom. Advocating for one or the other is just not necessary and teachers aren't paid to get into it. I remember when teachers tried to keep most of their private lives, private. Sure avoided lots of issues.

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I don't expect any teacher to go into detail about their love life, their dating life, their marital situation, and certainly not their sex life with students. Just like I'd not expect them to discuss their drug use, drinking and partying behavior. Yes, I'm married, yes I date some, yes that's ok but let's not go too deep into things that lead to sexual conversations in the classroom. Advocating for one or the other is just not necessary and teachers aren't paid to get into it. I remember when teachers tried to keep most of their private lives, private. Sure avoided lots of issues.

Read the story. That's not what teachers are worried about.

Mr Person

A Little Bitter
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Stoking culture wars to get votes from rubes who follow a hate-based ideology is the first goal. The second is to keep their children under-educated and stupid.

Rawley

Sedition Apologist™ and Charter Cult Member™
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
They are probably happy LGTBQ teachers are quitting. That's what they wanted all along anyway.
If they care more about discussing their sexuality, than their students, I doubt they will be missed.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Florida doesn't need schools.

They don't seem to benefit from education or experience.

Those Florida teachers can come to Arizona. I mean, if they can't find a good-paying job.

Rawley

Sedition Apologist™ and Charter Cult Member™
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Read the story. That's not what teachers are worried about.
“The law would erase me as an LGBTQ teacher,” she said. “Nobody would be able to know, which then puts me in the closet, and I’m there seven hours a day, if not more, five days a week. I wouldn’t be able to be who I am.”

The law wouldn't do that.

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That's the goal.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
That's the goal.

That's okay.

I care about the fate of Florida as much as I care about the fate of Wyoming or Idaho.

People who don't want to live in a hellhole will eventually leave.

AmNat

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Great news. Thanks for posting.

HangLow

BUFF 52 Nav
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
1648971881872.png

Athanasius68

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Stoking culture wars to get votes from rubes who follow a hate-based ideology is the first goal. The second is to keep their children under-educated and stupid.

Its not clear why RESPONDING to efforts to teach LBGQT+ issues to five year olds is "stoking culture wars."

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That's okay.

I care about the fate of Florida as much as I care about the fate of Wyoming or Idaho.

People who don't want to live in a hellhole will eventually leave.
The goal, it certainly seems, is to create a mass exodus of educated liberals, leaving a state that’s safely secure in its two Republican senators and 29 electoral votes. Texas is following the same plan. Ironically, the solution isn’t to leave the state but to flood the zone with educated liberals.

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

She can go teach in San Francisco.

axxx

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

What is the benefit of teaching homosexuality to a 5 year old?

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The goal, it certainly seems, is to create a mass exodus of educated liberals, leaving a state that’s safely secure in its two Republican senators and 29 electoral votes. Texas is following the same plan. Ironically, the solution isn’t to leave the state but to flood the zone with educated liberals.

Yes, but I've never counted on either of those states, or even admitted that they are a possible purple.

I just want to see them sink into the 17th century.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
*Some* teachers should fear the Christian Taliban.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yes, but I've never counted on either of those states, or even admitted that they are a possible purple.

Unfortunately, the structure of the Constitution makes it so they could sink into the Stone Age and still have the ability to decide Presidential elections and lifetime judicial appointments. They could forget written language and how to control fire and it would be the same.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Unfortunately, the structure of the Constitution makes it so they could sink into the Stone Age and still have the ability to determine Presidents and lifetime judicial appointments. They could forget language and how to control fire and it would be the same.

Yes, but they're already doing that for the other side.

And since that is the case AND they choose to live like savages, I say let them sink. Besides, it will be fun to watch. I'll bring the popcorn.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yes, but they're already doing that for the other side.

And since that is the case AND they choose to live like savages, I say let them sink. Besides, it will be fun to watch. I'll bring the popcorn.
The savages, unfortunately, are deciding all of our fates right now. Sorry, but this ain’t reality tv. It’s our reality.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The savages, unfortunately, are deciding all of our fates right now. Sorry, but this ain’t reality tv. It’s our reality.

I just assume that those electoral votes are part of what we have to get past. We have gotten past them before; it's not like Texas or Florida has voted dem anytime recently.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I just assume that those electoral votes are part of what we have to get past. We have gotten past them before; it's not like Texas or Florida has voted dem anytime recently.
What’s frustrating is that they always seem blue but really can’t quite get across the line. But both states could absolutely be blue-purple. We’re not talking about absolutely hopeless states like Wyoming, Idaho or West Virginia. These are states that could be gotten. If both states went blue, no more Republican Presidents, and no more Federalist Society lifetime judicial appointments.

They’re two of the fastest growing states in the country, and those people aren’t coming from red states.

Imagine a world in which we’d have to listen to Republicans demand that the President’s judicial appointments define random words from the dictionary all day long, and while nauseating, they’d ultimately be irrelevant.

axxx

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

And yet these so called educated liberals are flocking to TX and FL from blue states. Could be the same reason the people there stay there-freedom from mandates and pompous "I know better than you" liberal politicians..

Top Bottom