• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am softening my stance on illegal aliens

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is really hard for me to post, but I have to look at myself pretty hard in a mirror, and you know what? I am not sure that I like what I see. I am about to change that.

For many years, I have been bashing illegal aliens, and to tell you the truth, there may have been some racism involved. I have seen so many illegal aliens here in Houston that I have been kind of pissed at them. There are a lot of people living under bridges, while illegal aliens have been taking jobs that they could have done. So I have taken an extremely hard line with them.

Here is what has happened to me in the last few days - For almost 18 years, I have managed an Iranian owned HVAC company, and the owner and I have become very close friends. I made excellent money, and we were rocking and rolling. About a year ago, my boss sold the company and retired. The new boss is not a good businessman, and has run the company into the ground. I can't blame him completely, as the downturn economy hit pretty hard. Small HVAC companies have been dropping like flies, but I didn't think it would happen to my company. After all, during the last 6 years, we won 6 BBB Awards for Excellence, which included 2 Pinnacle Awards. Out of thousands of companies in East Texas, including the Houston area, only one Pinnacle award is given out in any given year, and only 2 or 3 Winners of Distincion Awards are given out. We were on top of the world. But a perfect storm of economic conditions and mismanagement from the new owner hit us.

As a result, the company is about to close its doors. There was a layoff about a month ago, and this week, I was informed that I was also about to be laid off, in a last ditch effort to keep the company afloat. It looks like all the cost cutting is for nil. The company that I put so much effort into is about to fold, and most likely will be out of business by the end of the year.

When I got the news that I was about to become unemployed, I asked for permission to hit the bricks and look for another job, which I was given. Although good jobs, even here in Houston, are tough to find, I lined up an interview for a sales job with an industrial solvents manufacturer for the next day, and this is where my story begins.

I had some time to kill on my way to the interview, so stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. After that, I was going to shop for some new clothes, so that I would look as presentable as I could. I refuse to take unemployment compensation, so doing whatever I had to do to get a new job was my number one priority. On leaving the restaurant, I got into my car, started the engine, and then shifted into reverse to back out of my parking space. Nothing happened. The cable to my transmission had broken, and I was dead in the water. Needless to say, if I didn't make my interview, then my chances to get this job were also dead in the water.

Across the street from the restaurant was a used tire place, run by Mexicans. After saying a prayer, I went across and asked if anyone there knew anything about mechanics. I told them that I knew what the problem was, and that I needed to get to a job interview in the worst way. They called a guy named Enrique, who met me in the restaurant parking lot, and looked at my car. My transmission cable was definitely broken. He repaired the cable, and when I attempted to pay him, he told me it was OK. I insisted, and he then said "10 dollars". I negotiated with him, and finally got the price up to 130 dollars. If I had gotten my car towed to my regular mechanic, and then repaired, the price would have been well over 300 dollars plus the tow, and I would have missed my job interview. 10 dollars was not fair at all. Anyways, he repaired the cable and I paid him. The last thing he said to me before I left was "Good luck with your interview, and God bless you". Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and made me take a hard look at myself in a mirror. You know what? I did not like what I saw. That is about to change.

I didn't have time to shop for clothes, but I made the interview with about 5 minutes to spare, and guess what else? I got the job. I start in a week. Not quite the pay I was getting at my old job, but I am employed and that is what counts. And it was all because of a Mexican who couldn't speak English well at all. I could hardly understand his speaking, but now I understand his heart. Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings, more human than many who speak perfect English. I have to be honest. If I were in his shoes, I would have said "Transmission problems? Sorry to hear that. Too bad". So here I am, taking inventory of my life, and thanking God that, when in an hour of crisis, it was a Mexican who couldn't speak English well, that saved my sorry ass.

I know that I come off here as someone who people believe mocks God. I don't mock God. I just have a problem with some people, mainly televangelists, who tell me how God is supposed to be some kind of a cosmic gofer, who will give you whatever you ask for. I believe that God teaches lessons, and this week, God taught me an important lesson, and I humbly accept his teaching. It was an illegal alien who made me see that God loves everyone, no matter their station in life. No longer will I bash illegal aliens, but will from now on support any program that gives them a chance to become American citizens.

To me, God does work in mysterious ways.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.

BTW, this is the reason I have not been online much this week. I hope that everyone congratulates me on obtaining a new job, only one day after losing my old job. I have been paying employment taxes for more than 40 years now, and guess what? I don't need the government to help me out at all. I did this all on my own, with a little help from an illegal alien, God bless him.

I now put on my flameproof suit.

Last edited:
They called a guy named Enrique, who met me in the restaurant parking lot, and looked at my car. My transmission cable was definitely broken. He repaired the cable, and when I attempted to pay him, he told me it was OK. I insisted, and he then said "10 dollars". I negotiated with him, and finally got the price up to 130 dollars. If I had gotten my car towed to my regular mechanic, and then repaired, the price would have been well over 300 dollars plus the tow, and I would have missed my job interview. 10 dollars was not fair at all. Anyways, he repaired the cable and I paid him. The last thing he said to me before I left was "Good luck with your interview, and God bless you". Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and made me take a hard look at myself in a mirror. You know what? I did not like what I saw. That is about to change.

Enrique was a certified illegal alien? Sounds like you ethnically profiled him. I don't think there's an illegal alien code to replace a cable for free. It is however, good PR for the business of which I'm sure you are likely to return.

And it was all because of a Mexican who couldn't speak English well at all. I could hardly understand his speaking, but now I understand his heart. Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings, more human than many who speak perfect English.

So you ditch one racist idea for another.

I have to be honest. If I were in his shoes, I would have said "Transmission problems? Sorry to hear that. Too bad".

I wonder what would happen if a white english speaking garage competed against this other place with free estimates and services. After that all you need to do is profile someone as an illegal alien next time you go to the Auto Zone to take advantage of Auto Zones, I mean, the illegal aliens free services which are not meant to expand their markets and compete with good PR. Was there a receipt for the money you gave to him? Hopefully he didn't pocket your charity at the expense of the tireplace paying him to be there and maintaining the cost of brick and motor of the establishment that contracted him.

It was an illegal alien who made me see that God loves everyone, no matter their station in life. No longer will I bash illegal aliens, but will from now on support any program that gives them a chance to become American citizens.

Nice to see that the State can count on people to advocate it's extortion and money laundering for causes despite their revelations.

If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.
They legally couldn't if they came over illegally.

I hope that everyone congratulates me on obtaining a new job, only one day after losing my old job.

I'll congratulate you as soon as I get back on the gravey train. Until then you can take your job and love it.

Last edited:
Bitter much, Shackleferd?

It's cool that your opinion is changing, Danarhea. Generalizations and stereotypes always cloud the perception and focus.

Enrique was a certified illegal alien? Sounds like you ethnically profiled him. I don't think there's an illegal alien code to replace a cable for free. It is however, good PR for the business of which I'm sure you are likely to return.

So you ditch one racist idea for another.

I wonder what would happen if a white english speaking garage competed against this other place with free estimates and services. After that all you need to do is profile someone as an illegal alien next time you go to the Auto Zone to take advantage of Auto Zones, I mean, the illegal aliens free services which are not meant to expand their markets and compete with good PR. Was there a receipt for the money you gave to him? Hopefully he didn't pocket your charity at the expense of the tireplace paying him to be there and maintaining the cost of brick and motor of the establishment that contracted him.

Nice to see that the State can count on people to advocate it's extortion and money laundering for causes despite their revelations.

They legally couldn't if they came over illegally.

I'll congratulate you as soon as I get back on the gravey train. Until then you can take your job and love it.

Yup, I was right to put on my flameproof suit - Someone is already calling me a profiler and racist. How did I know that Enrique was illegal? He told me.

And I also bet that Shackleford happens to be one of those hypocrites who loudly proclaims "What would Jesus do".

Finally, look at the posts of both Shackleford and myself, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see who the real racist is, does it?

Last edited:
This is really hard for me to post, but I have to look at myself pretty hard in a mirror, and you know what? I am not sure that I like what I see. I am about to change that.

For many years, I have been bashing illegal aliens, and to tell you the truth, there may have been some racism involved. I have seen so many illegal aliens here in Houston that I have been kind of pissed at them. There are a lot of people living under bridges, while illegal aliens have been taking jobs that they could have done. So I have taken an extremely hard line with them.

Here is what has happened to me in the last few days - For almost 18 years, I have managed an Iranian owned HVAC company, and the owner and I have become very close friends. I made excellent money, and we were rocking and rolling. About a year ago, my boss sold the company and retired. The new boss is not a good businessman, and has run the company into the ground. I can't blame him completely, as the downturn economy hit pretty hard. Small HVAC companies have been dropping like flies, but I didn't think it would happen to my company. After all, during the last 6 years, we won 6 BBB Awards for Excellence, which included 2 Pinnacle Awards. Out of thousands of companies in East Texas, including the Houston area, only one Pinnacle award is given out in any given year, and only 2 or 3 Winners of Distincion Awards are given out. We were on top of the world. But a perfect storm of economic conditions and mismanagement from the new owner hit us.

As a result, the company is about to close its doors. There was a layoff about a month ago, and this week, I was informed that I was also about to be laid off, in a last ditch effort to keep the company afloat. It looks like all the cost cutting is for nil. The company that I put so much effort into is about to fold, and most likely will be out of business by the end of the year.

When I got the news that I was about to become unemployed, I asked for permission to hit the bricks and look for another job, which I was given. Although good jobs, even here in Houston, are tough to find, I lined up an interview for a sales job with an industrial solvents manufacturer for the next day, and this is where my story begins.

I had some time to kill on my way to the interview, so stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. After that, I was going to shop for some new clothes, so that I would look as presentable as I could. I refuse to take unemployment compensation, so doing whatever I had to do to get a new job was my number one priority. On leaving the restaurant, I got into my car, started the engine, and then shifted into reverse to back out of my parking space. Nothing happened. The cable to my transmission had broken, and I was dead in the water. Needless to say, if I didn't make my interview, then my chances to get this job were also dead in the water.

Across the street from the restaurant was a used tire place, run by Mexicans. After saying a prayer, I went across and asked if anyone there knew anything about mechanics. I told them that I knew what the problem was, and that I needed to get to a job interview in the worst way. They called a guy named Enrique, who met me in the restaurant parking lot, and looked at my car. My transmission cable was definitely broken. He repaired the cable, and when I attempted to pay him, he told me it was OK. I insisted, and he then said "10 dollars". I negotiated with him, and finally got the price up to 130 dollars. If I had gotten my car towed to my regular mechanic, and then repaired, the price would have been well over 300 dollars plus the tow, and I would have missed my job interview. 10 dollars was not fair at all. Anyways, he repaired the cable and I paid him. The last thing he said to me before I left was "Good luck with your interview, and God bless you". Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and made me take a hard look at myself in a mirror. You know what? I did not like what I saw. That is about to change.

I didn't have time to shop for clothes, but I made the interview with about 5 minutes to spare, and guess what else? I got the job. I start in a week. Not quite the pay I was getting at my old job, but I am employed and that is what counts. And it was all because of a Mexican who couldn't speak English well at all. I could hardly understand his speaking, but now I understand his heart. Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings, more human than many who speak perfect English. I have to be honest. If I were in his shoes, I would have said "Transmission problems? Sorry to hear that. Too bad". So here I am, taking inventory of my life, and thanking God that, when in an hour of crisis, it was a Mexican who couldn't speak English well, that saved my sorry ass.

I know that I come off here as someone who people believe mocks God. I don't mock God. I just have a problem with some people, mainly televangelists, who tell me how God is supposed to be some kind of a cosmic gofer, who will give you whatever you ask for. I believe that God teaches lessons, and this week, God taught me an important lesson, and I humbly accept his teaching. It was an illegal alien who made me see that God loves everyone, no matter their station in life. No longer will I bash illegal aliens, but will from now on support any program that gives them a chance to become American citizens.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.

BTW, this is the reason I have not been online much this week. I hope that everyone congratulates me on obtaining a new job, only one day after losing my old job. I have been paying employment taxes for more than 40 years now, and guess what? I don't need the government to help me out at all. I did this all on my own, with a little help from an illegal alien, God bless him.

Yeah, I've known a lot of illegal immigrants; I've always found them to be gentle, generous, and kind.
The thing is, they're very family oriented. I mean, very.
Most of them are very religious. The purpose of their lives is to get married young and start having a bunch of children. Work hard, and take the very best care of those children that they can.
I have observed them to be excellent parents- the men and women both. Far superior to Norte Americano parents.
I've also observed them to be extremely hard workers, very reliable on the job, and almost universally helpful and friendly.
The sole exception is perhaps teenage males, who sometimes get into trouble and cause trouble.
But that is not unique to illegal immigrants. That's every race and culture.

Other than that, the only unfortunate habit I've noticed in nearly 20 years of living around and among a bunch of illegal immigrants is the propensity of the males to drink and drive, and to drive without insurance.
But again, that's a lot of cultures.

Yup, I was right to put on my flameproof suit - Someone is already calling me a profiler and racist. How did I know that Enrique was illegal? He told me.

And I also bet that Shackleford happens to be one of those hypocrites who loudly proclaims "What would Jesus do".

Finally, look at the posts of both Shackleford and myself, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see who the real racist is, does it?

I'm glad you had an "ah-ha moment" -- a paradigm shift you'll remember for a long time. People are people. There's good and bad. And, as you maybe now see, just because someone comes to the United States for a better life - and came illegally because they saw no other way -- doesn't mean they're bad people.

Congrats on your new job. With people asking that unemployment benefits be extended/extended/extended, it is great to see someone who relies on himself. No wonder you got a job right away. People recognize that in a person. I wish you well!!!

He's the kind of person who sees opinion sharing, like these forums, as a good place for him to educate the ignorant masses to the truth that only he, and perhaps some others, truely understand. He's his own Jesus in a way.

Let me say, I don't care what opinion you had or where you are moving to. If someone has a enough rational thought to examine themselves and their surrounding and realize they may have been wrong, in their own eyes, about something and then admit their mistake, again its a relative term so in their own eyes, and change, then they are cool in my book.

I don't care what you think, as long as you think and me and you are cool. Rock On Danarhea.

Last edited:
Of course they're not animals or bad people. These are people who want what every person wants - more freedom, a chance to do better, employment and an opportunity to support themselves and their family. That does not mean however, that they are excused from our laws. I'm glad you no longer see them as animals and recognize that racism may have played a part in your previous stance.

You met a nice person, and he happened to be an illegal alien. This doesn't change the fact that we as a nation can't afford all these illegals. We really need to put a stop to all the immigrants period coming in.
You're a good person, Dan, and it's great that you got a "new" job so quickly. Hope it all turns out well for you. Keep us posted.
Congratulations!:)

Of course they're not animals or bad people. These are people who want what every person wants - more freedom, a chance to do better, employment and an opportunity to support themselves and their family. That does not mean however, that they are excused from our laws. I'm glad you no longer see them as animals and recognize that racism may have played a part in your previous stance.

It's hard for me to imagine that he could've lived in South Texas all these years and still think they were "animals" or 'bad people".
This is the sort of opinion I'd expect from Northerners, who have never encountered any.
They're obviously good people; it's hard to see how one could miss that after 20 years of living and working around them.
Dan must've been very self-segregated.

I wished we had a program like the one where two hostile countries will have when they trade prisoners.

I would gladly trade some of our "American born" lard arses for Mexican illegals easily. As matter of fact I would do a 100 American lard arses for 1 Mexican illegal.

It's a nice sob story... makes you sound like that guy who says "I'm not racist, I have a black friend!"

So this barely english speaking illegal was able to fix your car and you paid him for his service. Aces. Good on him for it and you for paying him. But he shouldn't be here, he broke the law, and you aided a criminal by paying him. Sure, he was a nice guy, and he came through when you needed help. Again aces and good on him. No ones saying illegal immigrants aren't good folks at heart just trying to make a living. They are however, here illegally.

Being for strong borders, and demanding that illegal immigration be dealt with through tough laws and regulation isn't being inhumane, or evil, or racist, it's being realistic.

BTW If I were Hispanic, your condescending story would of offended the hell out of me. Oh look, the white angry guy saw the light now he pities us and is gonna champion our causes! :roll:

As far as Im concerned I would analogize illegal immigration to making an illegal u-turn when theres nobody around.
Imagine the prickiness of the prick who hates you for that, sheesh.

I'm always happy to see someone come to some realization that changes their view on things, regardless of the subject matter. It shows progression and a willingness to accept and process new information that is very refreshing.

I worked **** jobs for a while and a lot of them alongside people I knew weren't there legally. They worked hard, came in early, left late, and they treated everyone else there with respect. The guy I remember most was Joe, I dont know if that was his given name or not, but we all called him Joe. The man sometimes worked just over 100 hours every week to pay for his daughters to go to a private school.

I have a hell of a lot more respect for the vast majority of the undocumented workforce than I do the natural born workforce. These people ****ing EARNED my respect.

Someone is already calling me a profiler and racist. How did I know that Enrique was illegal? He told me.

May want to include that in your story.

You think I'm Christian?

I'm one step below someone who isn't rocket scientist so you'll have to explain this one to me.

You said illegal aliens have warmer hearts than many English speakers.

You admitted to racism in OP.

I analyzed the logic path you took in your story and applied them to a hypothetical situation where your presented logic would probably make you devalue illegal aliens again.

If anyone wants to say that I'm "the real racist", I'll wear it as a badge of honor.

Everyone congratulating you for your confession and unreasoned revelation makes me want to puke. I hate looking at everyone use this thread as a opportunity to make it known that they're not racist by saying things like, "all people are people too!".

Did you honestly view illegal aliens as animals? Come on. I think you're milking it. Then again, your alleged previous ignorant hate for others is about as credible as your quick thoughtless revelation. I'm really looking forward to posts like this from you in the future. The way you come to conclusions astounds me.

BTW If I were Hispanic, your condescending story would of offended the hell out of me. Oh look, the white angry guy saw the light now he pities us and is gonna champion our causes! :roll:

Right on.

Good on you Dan.
I also changed my view when I started to work with a lot of former illegals.

You know what I found out?
They whine less, are more family orientated and are more financially responsible, than my American born coworkers.

Something I could not ignore.
They are better Americans, than many born Americans.

I'm always happy to see someone come to some realization that changes their view on things, regardless of the subject matter. It shows progression and a willingness to accept and process new information that is very refreshing.

I worked **** jobs for a while and a lot of them alongside people I knew weren't there legally. They worked hard, came in early, left late, and they treated everyone else there with respect. The guy I remember most was Joe, I dont know if that was his given name or not, but we all called him Joe. The man sometimes worked just over 100 hours every week to pay for his daughters to go to a private school.

I have a hell of a lot more respect for the vast majority of the undocumented workforce than I do the natural born workforce. These people ****ing EARNED my respect.

Ditto..... ;)

BTW If I were Hispanic, your condescending story would of offended the hell out of me. Oh look, the white angry guy saw the light now he pities us and is gonna champion our causes!

Lo odiamos por ver la luz. :roll:

positive generalization that come from anecdotal evidence is still a generalization.

You have a great story and I think people will also take a look at themselves in the mirror after reading it. I also hope you are adjusting okay to your new job! :2razz:

My sister was in a similar situation as you were, but she had a grudge against Africans. She would always talk about the stereo types and lock her car doors when she seen them walking on the side walk.

One day me and her were going to Mississippi. We were driving down a highway and it was 11:00 at night. Small communities in the south have little to no traffic at this time. Many small cities actually just turn the traffic lights off at that time since it becomes a ghost town. So here we were passing through a small community with no one around in the middle of the night... Almost out of gas because she was expecting a station to be in this town. We didn't make it. We were costing on empty and our GPS said the gas station was about 20 miles ahead.

Finally the car gives out and here we are stuck on the side of the highway in the middle of the night with no one around - completely out of fuel. She turns on the emergency lights and sit there waiting to flag down a passing vehicle if we seen it's headlights. We waited and she was planning on going to sleep in the car till morning because their would be more traffic passing through. About an hour went by and I finally seen headlights through the windshield. She quickly got out the front seat and waved her arms in the air. The passing vehicle pulled over in front of us and stepped out of his car. To her surprise, he was a middle aged black man passing through to Jackson. He asked us if he could help us with anything. I told him we were out of gas and according to our GPS we were far from a gas station.

He told us to put the car in natural and all 3 of us would push it into the grass so a drunk driver wouldn't hit it. He offered to drive us to the gas station and back. I knew what my sister was thinking but she bit her tongue. During the trip to the station we talked about our trip and I asked him what made him stop for us. He said something like this happened to him once and he knew how scary it can be. So we finally arrive at the station and I went inside to get a container then went to pump. He waited in his car while we bough the container. My sister started whispering in my ear while we were in the checkout line. She said "You know, I'm starting to regret every word I said about black people. We never know what could have happened if we fell asleep stranded. We could have been hit by another vehicle or robbed. I should have never judged a book by it's cover."

Soon after we got out the store and started pumping, she went up to his window and said there must be something she can do to repay him. He said "You kids do not owe me anything. Helping someone is a privilege on my part." She moved to the pump, grabbed the nose and started pumping gas into his car. She told him it was the least she could do. He smiled and told us we should be getting back to our car.

He drove us all the way back and we put the fuel into our tank. I shook his hand and told him thank you. So did my sister. More importantly, She learned something that day.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally..

I think most of us feel this way. It's the illegals who did it "illegally" that need to get in back of the line. :thumbs:

YOU RACIST PROFILER!!!!!!!!! :ssst:

I dont see a change here, this is exactly my view. There not animals like dirt bags Buchanan and Frosty Wooldridge say but what grinds me gears is that they are illegal. Amnesty and any other forum of there of is nothing but a slap in the face to legal immigrants, Im Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and I want them gone however Police State tactics are not the way to get rid of them.

It's just as naive to judge all illegals based on an experience with one nice illegal as the other way around. I don't believe in blanket judgements but there is no doubt about the problems caused by rampant illegal immigration from Mexico. We are not nor can we throw every illegal out of the country but we have to have a plan. Shutting the border down tight so that the problem doesn't continue to grow is the first step. We don't have to throw anyone out for that. Identifying long term, productive illegals and their circumstances and providing a path to citizenship or some kind of work visa is another. Removing the criminal element from the country is another. Our idiot elected officials are doing little or nothing. It is a horrible injustice for legal U.S. citizens to have to endure or accept. The vast majority of the citizens of this country did not create this mess, the government did.

Yeah, I've known a lot of illegal immigrants; I've always found them to be gentle, generous, and kind.

i've known quite a few as well; worked with several. i was involve in an armed standoff once where about 20 of them threatned to kill one of my friends because he called the police when one of them T-Boned him in a parking lot.

The thing is, they're very family oriented. I mean, very. Most of them are very religious. The purpose of their lives is to get married young and start having a bunch of children. Work hard, and take the very best care of those children that they can. I have observed them to be excellent parents- the men and women both. Far superior to Norte Americano parents.

[fully half of hispanic children are born to single parent households. compared to about 26% of whites in this country.

I've also observed them to be extremely hard workers, very reliable on the job, and almost universally helpful and friendly.

as of 2000, The proportion of immigrant households using welfare programs is 30 to 50 percent higher than that of native households.

The sole exception is perhaps teenage males, who sometimes get into trouble and cause trouble.

In 2004, the year when the data was most recently available, 12.4 percent of California prisoners were illegal immigrants, as compared with an estimated 6.9 percent of the state population. In Arizona, 11.1 percent of the prison population was undocumented, compared with 7 percent of the overall state population. as for Federal prisons: In 2005, fully 20 percent of the inmates in federal prisons were noncitizens.

Danarhea:

if truly your stance on illegal immigration was based on racism, then that's unfortunate, and i applaud you for being able to look past it and modify your views; and I especially agree with your point that christian ethics demand you do so. In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek nor Male nor Female, nor citizen nor illegal imigrant.

but the New Testament also teaches that we are to obey the law of the country we are in. that includes immigration law. Enrique being a nice guy does not make him less a criminal; and the lax attitude towards non-violent crime continues to encourage the far more dangerous variety. see Broken Windowns Theory

Okay, I'm not knocking your self-evaluation and subsequent conclusion. But I do need to question one aspect. You said you had some racism toward Mexicans in general, and I can understand why this experience would make you re-evaluate that. However, how does it make you re-evaluate ILLEGAL immigration? Was the guy that fixed your car here illegally? And if he was, because of the kindness of one illegal immigrant, you think that all illegal immigration is okay despite the negative effects it has on so much of our country? Honestly, I'm pretty stunned by this.

Again, I can totally see why it made you see how you were being racist and re-evaluate that and I think that's FANTASTIC. But being against illegal immigration has jack all to do with racism.

Back
Top Bottom