• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am so tired of the fat acceptance movement and people trying to force the world to accommodate people that have no discipline and have lost control.

Obesity is certainly a problem in the US and also here in Canada. We should never accept it as normal, and anyone with weight issues should try to strive to be healthier.

Now that I got that out of the way, there area few underlying issues as to why people are fat. This was not a problem in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s like it is now, so why is it? Is it because people are lazier today than in the past? Is it because people eat more? Is it because people care less?

A kidney doctor from Toronto wrote a book a few years ago because he wondered why he had so many patients with complications from diabetes. Instead of lecturing his patients, he decided to delve into why it's such a problem. His conclusions -- based-on human trial studies and endless research -- is that people are fat because of our overly processed food abundance. Corn is heavily subsidized and you'll find in some form in everything that is processed. People have less time these days to make nice meals and settle for stuff in a package or box. These processed food cause insulin resistance which leads to diabetes and weight gain. So, in essence, laziness, high-fat, high-calorie diets do not cause obesity. Too much insulin causes obesity. Insulin makes you fat. It's so not about calories in and calories out.

I am skeptical by nature so a friend asked me to read it and get my take. Her doctor told her about it because she had gastro surgery many years ago and had been slowly putting on weight every year despite not changing her diet. I relunctantly read it and I must say I was blown away. I think about food and exercise so differently now.

There’s an excellent video made by UC-San Francisco called “The Bitter Truth About Sugar”. It’s very informative and supports what you’ve said.

I just think fat people should stop expecting society to be responsible for what is only their responsibility

Not quite right. For instance, poverty plays a big role in obesity. Also, some people are born with the fat gene. Also, the medical community has been so wrong about what is healthy that we all get mixed signals. There are many factors at play -- it's not black and white.

Last edited:
There’s an excellent video made by UC-San Francisco called “The Bitter Truth About Sugar”. It’s very informative and supports what you’ve said.

The book is called The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung and it's brilliant. Finally a book that makes perfect sense and puts everything into perspective.
He devoted a whole chapter on the evils of sugar.

Last edited:
A super-abundance of food is a modern first-world phenomenon. We have been evolving for millions of years. Throughout most of that it was vital to utilize food to its fullest to prevent starvation. Life was a lot harder. I think we are still wired to desire to eat food as often as possible. Fit people want to overindulge on all of that horrible addictive shit too, but they don't because they have discipline and respect their bodies.

I would have liked this post if you had omitted the last sentence. But yeah, our evolution is a big part of what is forgotten today, and yes, we are wired that way. This is why snacking and people who eat many meals a day -- no matter how small or healthy -- will be more prone to gain weight. This is the shit we are being fed ('scuse the play on words) by our health government bodies. You can't blame people for being confused.

Not quite right. For instance, poverty play a big role in obesity. Also, some people are born with the fat gene. Also, the medical community has been so wrong about what is healthy that we all get mixed signals. There are many factors at play -- it's not black and white.

Ignorance isn't a good enough excuse. That doesn't alleviate their responsibility.

Ignorance isn't a good enough excuse. That doesn't alleviate their responsibility.

It's not ignorance. We have been told for decades by our government health agencies to eat low fat foods. Low fat foods in boxes and containers marked as "healthy" are mostly processed garbage that make us fat. Diet coke makes you fat. Can you not blame people for being confused?

It's not ignorance. We have been told for decades by our government health agencies to eat low fat foods. Low fat foods in boxes and containers marked as "healthy" are mostly processed garbage that make us fat. Diet coke makes you fat. Can you not blame people for being confused?

Portion control is the real issue. There were more healthy people in decades past when we knew less and had less resources to become informed. Why is that?

Okay, time to be harsh.

Fat shaming is not the answer, shaming of any kind tends to cause other consequences, but leaving people to become obese and not try to help is both an economic and social issue.

So where is the line, we all do unhealthy things? For that I am not sure.
I consider it sufficient that we make sure the government's official position--in all literature and guidelines--is that obesity is unhealthy, unattractive, burdensome to society, and a generally undesirable state of being, similar to drug addiction, smoking, or poor hygiene. It may be tolerable, but it isn't beautiful or commendable.

Yes, this is a judgmental position, but the official position should be judgmental. It should be as blunt and insensitive as a kick to the face.

The sensitivity, encouragement, support, and--yes--pressure, to get people to take weight loss seriously, to not to accept obesity as natural or beautiful, comes from individuals and communities.

Portion control is the real issue. There were more healthy people in decades past when we knew less and had less resources to become informed. Why is that?
Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s society pretty much ate 3 meals a day. Most were home cooked. Today, we are told to not only snack, but that it's actually better for you! Today's health guidelines includes snacks on top of meals. Today's health guidelines say it's better to eat 6-8 little meals a day. The reason why this does not work is because when you eat, you spike insulin. Insulin not only makes you fat, but it also makes you crave more food. Insulin makes you fat. Calories, per se, do not make you fat. Say you take in a 2000 calorie day. Tell me, what is better... six meals at 325 calories each or one meal at 2000?

I consider it sufficient that we make sure the government's official position--in all literature and guidelines--is that obesity is unhealthy, unattractive, burdensome to society, and a generally undesirable state of being, similar to drug addiction, smoking, or poor hygiene. It may be tolerable, but it isn't beautiful or commendable.

Yes, this is a judgmental position, but the official position should be judgmental. It should be as blunt and insensitive as a kick to the face.

The sensitivity, encouragement, support, and--yes--pressure, to get people to take weight loss seriously, to not to accept obesity as natural or beautiful, comes from individuals and communities.

There is a major trend in medical fields to be more sensitive to people who are struggling with issues. They have discovered that the "kick in the face" approach not only makes things worse, but it shies people from getting the help that they need.

There is a major trend in medical fields to be more sensitive to people who are struggling with issues. They have discovered that the "kick in the face" approach not only makes things worse, but it shies people from getting the help that they need.
I consider doctors to be part of the "individuals and communities" group, not the government. The role of this group, as I say, is to provide the sensitivity, encouragement, support, and pressure.

At the same time, sensitivity doesn't mean a doctor saying to an obese patient, "You don't need to lose any weight," to spare their feelings.

In short, maintain the standard in a patient and caring way, but maintain the standard. I think what @dex4974 is mainly concerned about is a growing movement of obese (and often hyperobese) individuals--usually woman--advancing the doctrine that since many people inevitably fall short of weight standards, and this falling short agitates and depresses people, there should be no standards. I agree with Dex that this doctrine specifically is both wrong-headed and dangerous.

I consider doctors to be part of the "individuals and communities" group, not the government. The role of this group, as I say, is to provide the sensitivity, encouragement, support, and pressure.

At the same time, sensitivity doesn't mean a doctor saying to an obese patient, "You don't need to lose any weight," to spare their feelings.

In short, maintain the standard in a patient and caring way, but maintain the standard. I think what @dex4974 is mainly concerned about is a growing movement of obese (and often hyperobese) individuals--usually woman--advancing the doctrine that since many people inevitably fall short of weight standards, and this falling short agitates and depresses people, there should be no standards. I agree with Dex that this doctrine specifically is both wrong-headed and dangerous.

Completely disagree with the pressure part. Just like you cannot pressure an alcoholic and drug addict to quit, same can be said about pressuring someone to lose weight. Not talking about "sparing feelings here" and have zero idea how you got that notion. But there is a specific way to communicate a path to health without being judgemental and harsh.

And yes it's usually women because it's women who are mostly scrutinized about their weight. You bet it's not good or healthy to be obese nor should it be accepted. But the health scale goes the other way too. Some women starve themselves skinny because it's sexy and beautiful to be a size zero. Think that is healthy?

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s society pretty much ate 3 meals a day. Most were home cooked. Today, we are told to not only snack, but that it's actually better for you! Today's health guidelines includes snacks on top of meals. Today's health guidelines say it's better to eat 6-8 little meals a day. The reason why this does not work is because when you eat, you spike insulin. Insulin not only makes you fat, but it also makes you crave more food. Insulin makes you fat. Calories, per se, do not make you fat. Say you take in a 2000 calorie day. Tell me, what is better... six meals at 325 calories each or one meal at 2000?

The snacking doesn't work because people overdo it. They end up eating 6 meals a day. If you do it correctly it can work well because it keeps your metabolism active which makes your body burn more calories naturally. That diet strategy is not responsible for the obesity epidemic. You get fat when you take in more calories than you burn off. It's impossible to have a calorie deficit and not lose weight. The body can not maintain or store new fat when your body is getting less calories than it uses.

Yes. We need doctors to tell us the blunt truth. That's their job.

If you're fat the world doesn't exist to accommodate you. Get your shit together. Also stop polluting the minds of young people by making them think it's cool to accept being extremely fat and unhealthy.

It is obviously a problem these days

He's fat. So is Barr. Let's talk about them and how gross they are.

You know, this is fair. Trump only allows himself to be photographed with greasy foods. It’s like he’s actively promoting being a big fat sack of shit.

Bill Barr is...just...gross. Look at his face. You could fit luggage in one of his jowels.

We need some not fatso role models if we’re gonna get over this national nightmare.

98B524AF-5215-4DFD-BE20-EAB43BB7628A.jpeg

If you're fat the world doesn't exist to accommodate you. Get your shit together. Also stop polluting the minds of young people by making them think it's cool to accept being extremely fat and unhealthy.

You know, this is fair. Trump only allows himself to be photographed with greasy foods. It’s like he’s actively promoting being a big fat sack of shit.

Bill Barr is...just...gross. Look at his face. You could fit luggage in one of his jowels.

We need some not fatso role models if we’re gonna get over this national nightmare.

View attachment 67296483

This is different than what I am doing. This is a personal and honestly kind of cruel attack.

This is different than what I am doing. This is a personal and honestly kind of cruel attack.

I’m sorry, is there something you were doing? I was picking up the thread to the poster I replied to. WE do have an obesity problem in our country, part of what creates the image that it’s okay is often obese men are accepted. Trump and Barr, as two examples, are very obviously the opposite of the Alpha Male image, and yet htey are held up in all of their fatness as Real Men.

As long as we keep telling young boys this is what htey should aspire to, we are franchising fat men as the standard. It’s gotta stop.

I’m sorry, is there something you were doing? I was picking up the thread to the poster I replied to. WE do have an obesity problem in our country, part of what creates the image that it’s okay is often obese men are accepted. Trump and Barr, as two examples, are very obviously the opposite of the Alpha Male image, and yet htey are held up in all of their fatness as Real Men.

As long as we keep telling young boys this is what htey should aspire to, we are franchising fat men as the standard. It’s gotta stop.

So why are so many women obese?

So why are so many women obese?

IT seems about split among the sexes, so it would seem per my previous posts, we have franchised being fat into our culture as a whole. Donald TRump is the literal “standard bearer“ and he’s got tits.

IT seems about split among the sexes, so it would seem per my previous posts, we have franchised being fat into our culture as a whole. Donald TRump is the literal “standard bearer“ and he’s got tits.

I think presidential candidates overall are a relatively healthy weight on average compared to the population. No? Donald and Rubio on the right. Who else? On the left I think Hillary might have been the most out of shape person. Were there any others? My memory isn't always the best.

I think presidential candidates overall are a relatively healthy weight on average compared to the population. No? Donald and Rubio on the right. Who else? On the left I think Hillary might have been the most out of shape person. Were there any others? My memory isn't always the best.

It’s not about any one individual per se, I used Trump’s obesity and greasy food habits as an example of what we as a nation accept as the image of a Captain of Industry Alpha. If that visual is what accompanies that description, that would probably account for why our country more closesly resembles someone who looks like Donald Trump than not.

If we accept that an obese man is the standard, then I’m not sure what you’re struggling with as to why we have a fat country.

Completely disagree with the pressure part. Just like you cannot pressure an alcoholic and drug addict to quit, same can be said about pressuring someone to lose weight. Not talking about "sparing feelings here" and have zero idea how you got that notion. But there is a specific way to communicate a path to health without being judgemental and harsh.
When my weight rose to 191 lb, the only reason I fought it back down to 173 was because my grandparents' eyes bugged out of their heads when I told them I'd let myself go to 191.

I suppose they weren't "judgmental or harsh" in the sense of calling me "fattie", etc., but it was clear they were amazed and disappointed I'd let myself go, and that was the key motivation behind my losing 18 pounds.

Hence I'm living proof that while "pressure" may not always work, it can work and may be the only thing that works.

When my weight rose to 191 lb, the only reason I fought it back down to 173 was because my grandparents' eyes bugged out of their heads when I told them I'd let myself go to 191.

I suppose they weren't "judgmental or harsh" in the sense of calling me "fattie", etc., but it was clear they were amazed and disappointed I'd let myself go, and that was the key motivation behind my losing 18 pounds.

Hence I'm living proof that while "pressure" may not always work, it can work and may be the only thing that works.

What did they say to you -- specifically -- that they were disappointed? Also, was that your only motivation?

Back
Top Bottom