• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am so tired of the fat acceptance movement and people trying to force the world to accommodate people that have no discipline and have lost control.

Yes, X-factor, Diet Coke does indeed make you fat. It spikes insulin. Insulin makes you fat.

Sorry, something with zero calories cannot make you fat. I’m not saying Diet Coke is good or healthy but something with no calories can not make you fat.

Yet isn't it interesting that only 5% manage to keep it off. Why is that, X????

Why is that interesting? It’s much easier to fall back into old habits than maintain something for life.

The idea that it should be illegal for medical care insurance premiums and/or deductibles to be adjusted for actuarial risk factors (aka pre-existing conditions) is part of the problem.

Why, exactly, does it make sense to allow medical care insurance premiums to be tripled based on one’s age, yet not increased (at all) based on one’s obesity?
That’s an excellent question. Made me look it up.
Do Health Insurance Premiums Differ for Obese People?
Health insurance companies calculate an approximate cost they might have to bear to provide insurance to an individual. This cost depends on various factors of which age, gender, and weight are a few to name. So, yes, health insurance companiescan charge you more if you are obese or overweight and they think that your weight is a risk factor. Not all types of insurances get affected by weight, but health insurance and life insurance certainly do.
Now this is just one citation I’ve been able to find. I don’t recall ever being asked about my weight on any application. Now I’ll pay more attention to see if they do ask. If they do ask maybe they should tell you why they’re asking.

That’s an excellent question. Made me look it up.

Now this is just one citation I’ve been able to find. I don’t recall ever being asked about my weight on any application. Now I’ll pay more attention to see if they do ask. If they do ask maybe they should tell you why they’re asking.

Hmm... based on your link it would appear that PPACA did not eliminate the use of pre-existing conditions (other than age and tobacco use) for setting medical care insurance premium rates.

Why is that interesting? It’s much easier to fall back into old habits than maintain something for life.

95% failure? Does it not make you wonder if the methodology is flawed? Look at the show The Biggest Loser. Seems like driven and focussed people losing a shit ton of weight, no? Know why there is no reunion show? Because they cannot keep the weight off eventually. Nothing to do with will power -- how quick you are to judge! It's because they've screwed up their basal metabolic rates so much, makes it impossible to maintain. Ever hear of a plateau or do you think I'm just making this up?

You can continue believe the same old bullshit that does not work or I dare you to watch this and come back here and let me know what you think.Open your mind, X. What Dr Fung says makes perfect sense and his theories are backed up by science and research.

Hmm... based on your link it would appear that PPACA did not eliminate the use of pre-existing conditions (other than age and tobacco use) for setting medical care insurance premium rates.
Do you think we were lied to? They can’t deny you insurance, just charge you more.

Nothing to do with will power

Please...

They gain the weight back by not sticking to the diet and exercise routine that got it off in the first place. That is 100% a willpower issue. Once the pressure of the show subsides they slip back into their old habits. The hard part is making the behavior long term. That's the part that takes willpower.

Please...

They gain the weight back by not sticking to the diet and exercise routine that got it off in the first place. That is 100% a willpower issue. Once the pressure of the show subsides they slip back into their old habits. The hard part is making the behavior long term. That's the part that takes willpower.

You are 100% absolutely wrong.

There's a lot of reasons why people become obese. Sure people who are not active, by choice, do not eat properly , drink too much booze can become overweight. But there are also people who become large due to physical disabilities making it impossible for them to be active. There are several medications that can cause weight gain. They may have eating disorders. And then again there are very healthy people who carry weight and live a healthy lifestyle.
So when you see a person overweight I would advise before becoming critical to remember you have not walked in their shoes. I took offense to this thread because I have dear friends that are obese but they are the kindest loving souls I have had the pleasure to call friends.

You are 100% absolutely wrong.

How am I wrong? You're very short on details; I think you're in denial. Are you suggesting that if they had stuck to their diet and exercise plan they would have gained the weight back anyway? If you stick to a healthy routine the weight will stay off. I am not wrong. There's not some black voodoo magic forcing these people to gain weight again. They lack the willpower to keep it off. I don't understand why people fight so hard to avoid responsibility for their own actions.

You know a lot less about this subject than you realize, to the extent you are talking through me with the points you're trying to make rather than actually having an exchange.

Last edited:
You heard it here folks. Losing weight and keeping it off has little or nothing to do with willpower. A serious long term lifestyle change is not largely about willpower and dedication. The difference between the fit and the fat is not discipline and dedication; it's all insulin. When people gain weight back it's not because they lacked the strength to continue their new lifestyle.

Give me a break...

What a delusional perspective.

My partner is a "large" person, and we don't really talk about it because they are ashamed. They have tried different things but nothing has stuck, and even they have always known the biggest problem is willpower.

My partner is a "large" person, and we don't really talk about it because they are ashamed. They have tried different things but nothing has stuck, and even they have always known the biggest problem is willpower.

All overweight people know it in their hearts if they are honest with themselves. Taking responsibility is hard though. It's hard to accept that your own weakness is the problem and that it's entirely up to you to overcome that. That's why they delude themselves sometimes. Those delusions aren't going to help them lose weight though. Props to your partner for being real with themselves; that's half the battle.

How am I wrong? You're very short on details; I think you're in denial. Are you suggesting that if they had stuck to their diet and exercise plan they would have gained the weight back anyway?

Yes. By the time they were done with the show, their bodies were burning 600-800 fewer calories... a day. Why? Because they had slowed their metabolic rates to a crawl. So it does not take a math genius to see how that would result in eventual weight gain.

I have a friend who had a gastro bypass done many years ago. She lost 130 pounds and got to a size 8. That is when she plateaued. Even successive year she gain 12-15 pounds without changing a thing. She's now a size 16. I found out about Dr Fung teachings through her because her doctor recommended she read it. She had asked me to vet the book because she knows how anal I am with details. I started off being highly skeptical and finished being on the bandwagon.

If you stick to a healthy routine the weight will stay off. I am not wrong. There's not some black voodoo magic forcing these people to gain weight again. They lack the willpower to keep it off. I don't understand why people fight so hard to avoid responsibility for their own actions.

YOU ARE 100% WRONG. You are your worst enemy, you know that, right? You stick to your guns and don't give a shit about learning, or even trying to understand any other viewpoint. I have no idea why I am even trying to get through to you because it seems it's a futile exercise.

You know a lot less about this subject than you realize, to the extent you are talking through me with the points you're trying to make rather than actually having an exchange.

You must live on another planet.

Finally we are seeing eye to eye. I'm not interested in discussing this with you any further.

Yes. I am always open and interested to learning new things. You, on the other hand, are not.

Yup. We live on different planets.

Back
Top Bottom