• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"I am Nicky": Whitman's ex-maid emerges as symbol

Chappy

User
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

*clicky*

Excerpted from “Whitman's ex-maid emerges as symbol” By Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer, The San Francisco Chonicle, Sunday, October 10, 2010
[SIZE="+2"]W[/SIZE]hen she came forward as an undocumented Mexican immigrant to challenge the billionaire who was her boss for nine years, Nicandra Santillan Diaz not only helped undermine the carefully crafted message behind Meg Whitman's gubernatorial campaign but may have emerged as one of its most enduring images.

From San Francisco to Los Angeles this week, undocumented domestic and farm workers - some of them holding signs proclaiming "I am Nicky" - held demonstrations to express solidarity with Diaz. They said her statement that Whitman was "throwing me away like a piece of garbage" when she asked for help becoming a legal citizen made her the face of a new movement for the workplace rights of the undocumented. …

For nine years Nicky cleaned Meg Whitman's toilets.

We were like family. — Meg Whitman

But, Meg Whitman claims that for all those years she didn't know that little Nicky was an illegal alien. So, by Meg's own lights she is not accountable for years of illegal employment. Her toilets are clean and so is her conscience.

By Meg's explanation, only Nicky can be held to blame. Isn't this a microcosm of the whole illegal immigration debate? Lawns get manicured. Houses get built. Toilets get cleaned. And, only the “little people” are held to account for this unfair system.

Reality IS that without the now very substantial Hispanic Vote in California , both Brown and Boxer would be toast . In short they have only one Big hope and that is the Heavy Proportional Democrat edge now existing with Hispanics. The last refuge of Scoundrels, This is like 2 notch's above the 2000 Texas James Byrd ad put out by the NAACP.

… The last refuge of Scoundrels …

Please explain: why is courting the Hispanic vote, the “last refuge of Scoundrels.”

Hasn't Meg Whitman's campaign reached out to Hispanics? Aren't Hispanics Americans, too?

But, more important, when Meg Whitman calls for a crack down on employers of illegal aliens and then when she herself is revealed to be an employer of an illegal alien and she claims that she (and presumably employers like her) is not accountable because she didn't know, what are we to conclude? Are we to conclude that under Meg Whitman's leadership the only people to be held to account are the immigrants? Isn't that the unfair and dysfunctional system we already have?

I rather think so.

Last edited:
Individual Hiring of Individual Undocumented types is not unusual and in reality is not the problem. Neither are thousands of Agricultural Workers who could be regulated & made Legal on a rotating basis to the benefit of all.

Deep down Whitman and nearly ever GOP person of prominence clearly does not want this problem to get worse. Liberal Democrats DO because they KNOW that some slip thru and Vote - their way - solid Democrat.

It's beyond Crackdown & Deportations in some areas. A Sea Change has taken place and Civil unrest would occur if it was heavily tried.

Individual Hiring of Individual Undocumented types is not unusual and in reality is not the problem. Neither are thousands of Agricultural Workers who could be regulated & made Legal on a rotating basis to the benefit of all.

Deep down Whitman and nearly ever GOP person of prominence clearly does not want this problem to get worse. Liberal Democrats DO because they KNOW that some slip thru and Vote - their way - solid Democrat.

It's beyond Crackdown & Deportations in some areas. A Sea Change has taken place and Civil unrest would occur if it was heavily tried.

sorry, but that's just a lie. i am a liberal democrat, and i think we have a problem with illegals. many of us do. they drive wages down, and are a drain on our economy.

i guess i could say that republicans don't want to do anything about illegals either, because illegals provide cheap labor and don't complain about working conditions.

see how that works?

Lady, I don't know anybody who has servants or has ever profited by Cheap Labor. Also I'd stake my life that 99% of all those at these TP gatherings have never had servants, or hired any illegals for anything. This applies to those who congregated in those raucous Town Halls these past 2 years.

Beverly Hills people - most of whom are Democrats and kept that sniveling Rodent faced Henry Waxman in office for 36 years do have servants , and some are illegal. This applies to other affluent areas also like Barbara (Brooklyn) Boxer's Marin County.

Obama and others Democrats - like spokesman Bill Press for example WANT this miogration to continue because without it there might be 55 Republican Senators and 250 GOP House members and like always 30 GOP Governors. In short these Bastards have imported Voters.

By Meg's explanation, only Nicky can be held to blame. Isn't this a microcosm of the whole illegal immigration debate? Lawns get manicured. Houses get built. Toilets get cleaned. And, only the “little people” are held to account for this unfair system.

Nicky lied!

*clicky*

For nine years Nicky cleaned Meg Whitman's toilets.

We were like family. — Meg Whitman

But, Meg Whitman claims that for all those years she didn't know that little Nicky was an illegal alien. So, by Meg's own lights she is not accountable for years of illegal employment. Her toilets are clean and so is her conscience.

The truth is the woman committed fraud in order to get Meg to hire her. Their relationship as employer/employee or friends or whatever was built upon that singular criminal act.

And everyone who states they "are Nicky"? Great...they just made it easier to tell who to deport. Round 'em up and ship 'em out. After a lengthy jail sentence for BREAKING THE LAW.

Sounds great: "Lock up the criminals." Except they aren't criminals until you convict them. And when you look at what they're doing, they are cutting the grass, harvesting the crops, cleaning the toilets, plucking the chickens, and, raising the well-to-do's children. They are here because they were needed here.

Meg Whitman says we should crack down on the employers of the undocumented workers. But, when she's revealed as one of those employers, it turns out she has an exemption in her own mind; employers who didn't know, who didn't want to know, they're not culpable.

It's the same-old, same-old. Let's blame all our problems on the poor people.

Sounds great: "Lock up the criminals." Except they aren't criminals until you convict them. And when you look at what they're doing, they are cutting the grass, harvesting the crops, cleaning the toilets, plucking the chickens, and, raising the well-to-do's children. They are here because they were needed here.

Meg Whitman says we should crack down on the employers of the undocumented workers. But, when she's revealed as one of those employers, it turns out she has an exemption in her own mind; employers who didn't know, who didn't want to know, they're not culpable.

She fired her when she found out. Until then she had ever reason to believe she was legal. What should she have done differently?

They are not citizens. They have no rights to our court system except where dictated by international law. I don't care what their job is, from fruit picker to teacher to software company CEO; if they committed fraud or broke any other law, they are to be held accountable for it. I am surprised that ANYONE with half a brain would take exception to this way of thinking just because it happens to be a little brown person from south of the border.

There is a huge difference between knowingly hiring an illegal worker and having fraud perpetrated against you by someone with forged papers. I'm sorry you find it hard to wrap your head around that distinction.

This isn't about rich or poor. This is about criminal behavior.

This is a case of dirty rotten politics at its finest. The known facts are that Whitman hired "Nicky" as a domestic servant, and that she fired her when it became undeniable that she was an illegal. Now, Whitman is being criticized for having hired an illegal, while at the same time being criticized for having fired her, or "thrown her away like garbage."

I wonder just who paid this illegal alien to come forward at this critical time in the campaign? you can bet that it wasn't Nicandra Santillan Diaz who thought of the idea.

Further, why is Diaz still in the US? I thought illegals were supposed to be deported. Maybe, if they are useful to powerful enough people they are allowed to stay on.

This is a case of dirty rotten politics at its finest. The known facts are that Whitman hired "Nicky" as a domestic servant, and that she fired her when it became undeniable that she was an illegal. Now, Whitman is being criticized for having hired an illegal, while at the same time being criticized for having fired her, or "thrown her away like garbage."

I wonder just who paid this illegal alien to come forward at this critical time in the campaign? you can bet that it wasn't Nicandra Santillan Diaz who thought of the idea.

Further, why is Diaz still in the US? I thought illegals were supposed to be deported. Maybe, if they are useful to powerful enough people they are allowed to stay on.

Do you think She has received some $$$$$$ from Democrat Friends in the past 2 weeks ??

Ned Racine;1059034524]Lady, I don't know anybody who has servants or has ever profited by Cheap Labor. Also I'd stake my life that 99% of all those at these TP gatherings have never had servants, or hired any illegals for anything.

of these points i have no doubt.

of these points i have no doubt.

You accept that notion because I assume that in your mind those at the TP gatherings are low income,low class, sub Blue Collar, Bigoted, Fearful, Using God as a Crutch,Resentful,Six Pack (or ex 6 pack) consuming clods who are too simplistic to know WHO really wants to assist them.

Right ???????

I believe Nicky. She had proof unlike the members who posted their crap here; they know no shame.

Proof of what, please explain. Also please explain why a high powered lawyer connected to the democratic party took a case and held a press conference because she alleges that Whitman owes her $6K.

If you think that is real, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Reality IS that without the now very substantial Hispanic Vote in California , both Brown and Boxer would be toast . In short they have only one Big hope and that is the Heavy Proportional Democrat edge now existing with Hispanics. The last refuge of Scoundrels, This is like 2 notch's above the 2000 Texas James Byrd ad put out by the NAACP.

Boxer is a lock. Almost 10 points ahead.

I hope Whitman pulls it out.

I believe Nicky. She had proof unlike the members who posted their crap here; they know no shame.

What proof does she have? A forged tax form and identification that belonged to her sister?

Before you start spewing off at the mouth, you might want to consider what the facts are and cut through your ignorant partisan blinders with a little bit of reason.

2rcy0yx.jpg

There that's more like it.

Yes poor Nicky was abused and said not one damn word until now for Gloria Allwet who put her up to this and most likely is paying her.

Allwett opened Nicky up to a few felony charges for which Nicky needs to be made an example of and either thrown in a Federal prison or deported.

It has been shown in the paper work that Meg Whitman wisely help onto that she checked poor Nicky's right to work and it proves without any doubt Poor Nicky is a liar and a felon.

Gloria Allwet is a media whore and proven long time supporter of wacko Liberals like Jerry Brown.

The idiots who were at today's dog a pony show protest should have been check for citizenship papers and if found to be illegal deported as the law says.

The illegals are making a huge mistake because the backlash is building as Obama's disapproval rates grown and the cost to the States and Federal Government of Obama's failed programs and polices along with the Billions it costs in taxes and the lost jobs when Obama is trying to kill the economy is not going to work in the favor of the Liberals who want no controls on our Borders.

Try to go to Mexico and live there illegally I double dog dare you. Even idiots know it can't be done without real trouble.

This whole issue isn't about caring for people it's about voted and power just like the welfare system was created to hold down the Southern Blacks when it became obvious the Democrats fight tooth and nail against the civil rights movement were going to fail when Federal Troops moved in to Enforce the law.

Black people were told look what we did for you, here have some free money you have been held down b those wicked Republicans, who were in fact the reason why open segregation was forced to end.

That's why Liberals don't want it to be well know that MLK was a Conservative Republican and so was most of his Family.

Now they play the race card for Mexican votes, it's no damn different.

I might not call Allwet a media whore if she hadn't proven herself to to be just that by putting her client in jeopardy for political gain. And she is usually ALL WET!

By the was the Calling Poor Poor Nicky a modern-day Rosa Parks is a disgrace and insult to the memory of Rosa Parks.

Last edited:
Proof of what, please explain. …

What proof does she have? …

I can say it is possible that I would've scratched a follow-up note on a letter like this. — statement by Meg Whitman's husband, Griffith Harsh

Oops, Nicky kept the 2003-dated letter with Griffith's scrawl on it; it proves that he knew there was an issue with her documentation. She served Meg and Griffith for six more years until she became inconvenient, and then Meg fired Nicky over the phone. I guess she didn't have the stomach to do it in person.

But, the immigration reactionaries here are missing the point. When people say “I am Nicky” it's a reflection of the same spirit as Michael Moore's second film title, “Pets or Meat.”

These rich s-o-b-s treat us as “one of the family” right up until they have an incentive to serve us up as so much snake appetizer.

The reactionaries don't want ordinary people to recognize the reality that undocumented workers are just one step below us documented workers.

It is time for a change, maybe not the one Obama had in mind, but, oh, yes, we can!

Last edited:
I can say it is possible that I would've scratched a follow-up note on a letter like this. — statement by Meg Whitman's husband, Griffith Harsh

Oops, Nicky kept the 2003-dated letter with Griffith's scrawl on it; it proves that he knew there was an issue with her documentation. She served Meg and Griffith for six more years until she became inconvenient, and then Meg fired Nicky over the phone. I guess she didn't have the stomach to do it in person.

So she has a letter that confirms her fraud. Now show where Whitman has such a letter and you might be on to something.

Boxer is a lock. Almost 10 points ahead.

I hope Whitman pulls it out.

Boxer is a lock? Where did you get that stat? The last I heard, her senate seat was in jeopardy. Anyway, Boxer is not running aqgainst Whitman. It is Whitman vs Brown for the governorship, Boxer vs Fiorina for the senate seat.

As an aside, the Democrat leaning Fresno Bee just created a local furor by endorsing Fiorina.

Back
Top Bottom