• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am going to keep a close eye on this.

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
If two white men beat an 88 year old black man to death as he sat in his car it would be all over the network news and the word hate crime would be front and center. This just happened so I'll cut the media some slack but I'm betting this never makes the national news. Anyway it's a very sad and tragic event.

SPOKANE, Wash. -- New security photos were released by officials showing the two suspects in Wednesday's deadly beating of an 88-year-old World War II Veteran.
Witnesses described the suspects as 16 to 18-year-old African American males of average build, according to authorities.
The 88-year-old victim, Delbert "Shorty" Belton, had been taken to the Intensive Care Unit after the assault at the Eagles Ice-A-Rena at Francis near Lidgerwood around 8:15 p.m. Officials said they found him with serious head injuries. He died Thursday morning at a local hospital. He's one hell of a guy," said Ted Denison, a friend of Belton. "He'll do anything in the world for anybody."
Investigators said Belton was attacked in the parking lot behind the arena, belonging to the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He had just arrived in his car to play pool with a female friend. A witness said she saw two young men run away from Belton's car. She found him by his vehicle badly beaten.

Photos show men accused of fatally beating WWII veteran | KREM.com Spokane

If two white men beat an 88 year old black man to death as he sat in his car it would be all over the network news and the word hate crime would be front and center.

So hard to be a white man these days, huh?

It is a horrible story, but I am not sure what race has to do with this unless you want to discuss the factors that might lead black youth to commit violent crime and what might be done to curb that. Sadly, seniors citizens are increasingly the target of criminals as they would usually be the ones to put up the least resistance. There was a case in my area not horribly different but the victim was black and the people who beat him were black. Unfortunately in that case, the attackers got not a lot of time, the person who helped make it happen I think was found not guilty, and I sadly think that the community more or less shrugged it off because of the victim's race and that he was poor as opposed to what I would expect the outcome would have been had the victim been white and/or not poor.

So hard to be a white man these days, huh?

The 88 year old white man you mock was shot storming a beach in WW2 and was on his way to play pool at a bar with a lady friend. Sounds like one hell of a man these young punks beat to death and all you can do is be sarcastic. Must suck being you.

It is a horrible story, but I am not sure what race has to do with this unless you want to discuss the factors that might lead black youth to commit violent crime and what might be done to curb that. Sadly, seniors citizens are increasingly the target of criminals as they would usually be the ones to put up the least resistance. There was a case in my area not horribly different but the victim was black and the people who beat him were black. Unfortunately in that case, the attackers got not a lot of time, the person who helped make it happen I think was found not guilty, and I sadly think that the community more or less shrugged it off because of the victim's race and that he was poor as opposed to what I would expect the outcome would have been had the victim been white and/or not poor.

Point is if two young white men beat an 88 year old black WW2 vet to death you can be guaranteed it would have been on the networks tonight.

The 88 year old white man...

Hey, don't get me wrong. I absolutely feel for any person of any race, gender, or religion being assaulted and murdered.

I don't feel for whiny conservatives beating this tired theme about how this is somehow worthy of being a hate crime and the only reason it isn't is because the suspects were black.

Point is if two young white men beat an 88 year old black WW2 vet to death you can be guaranteed it would have been on the networks tonight.

This statement above, is exactly why I began with my white man comment.

This thread isn't here for anything more than for you to bang on about how hard the white race has it these days.

This old man's death was a tragedy... I see no reason to bring race into it other than to race bait.

I'd be surprised unless Rev Al needed a talking point.

This statement above, is exactly why I began with my white man comment.

This thread isn't here for anything more than for you to bang on about how hard the white race has it these days.

This old man's death was a tragedy... I see no reason to bring race into it other than to race bait.

Wrong on every count, this thread is about how the liberal media is not worth watching.

If two white men beat an 88 year old black man to death as he sat in his car it would be all over the network news and the word hate crime would be front and center. This just happened so I'll cut the media some slack but I'm betting this never makes the national news. Anyway it's a very sad and tragic event.

SPOKANE, Wash. -- New security photos were released by officials showing the two suspects in Wednesday's deadly beating of an 88-year-old World War II Veteran.
Witnesses described the suspects as 16 to 18-year-old African American males of average build, according to authorities.
The 88-year-old victim, Delbert "Shorty" Belton, had been taken to the Intensive Care Unit after the assault at the Eagles Ice-A-Rena at Francis near Lidgerwood around 8:15 p.m. Officials said they found him with serious head injuries. He died Thursday morning at a local hospital. He's one hell of a guy," said Ted Denison, a friend of Belton. "He'll do anything in the world for anybody."
Investigators said Belton was attacked in the parking lot behind the arena, belonging to the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He had just arrived in his car to play pool with a female friend. A witness said she saw two young men run away from Belton's car. She found him by his vehicle badly beaten.

Photos show men accused of fatally beating WWII veteran | KREM.com Spokane

You sound like a frightened man to me. You will, over time, loose your power. Our nation will become more equally populated by people of all races and mixed races and the "good ole days" of old white guy power will be a distant memory. All that trying to hang on to it accomplishes is making you look bitter.

Wrong on every count, this thread is about how the liberal media is not worth watching.

... And what criteria did you use to propose the liberal media isn't worth watching, Sawyer?

You sound like a frightened man to me. You will, over time, loose your power. Our nation will become more equally populated by people of all races and mixed races and the "good ole days" of old white guy power will be a distant memory. All that trying to hang on to it accomplishes is making you look bitter.

If I am frightened it is due to people like you that have such a double standard when it comes to crimes like this.

If I am frightened it is due to people like you that have such a double standard when it comes to crimes like this.

Why don't you explain my double standard to me.

What double standard? Show me where opendebate has displayed a double-standard regarding the incident in your opening post.

... And what criteria did you use to propose the liberal media isn't worth watching, Sawyer?

This case is a perfect example of why. A "white Hispanic shoots a black kid in self defense it's front page news. Two black kids beat an 88 year old white man to death and you will never see it on the lib media. If not for this thread you would never hear about this tragic crime.

Your double standard is to cry crocodile tears over Trayvon while you blow off this brutal Spokane murder and imply white men better get over it.

You know, you can chose to stay in your angry little world only populated by things that really piss you off .... or you can listen when someone says what they think. None of that, represents anything I think.

This case is a perfect example of why. A "white Hispanic shoots a black kid in self defense it's front page news. Two black kids beat an 88 year old white man to death and you will never see it on the lib media. If not for this thread you would never hear about this tragic crime.

was the murder in Washington motivated by race?

This case is a perfect example of why. A "white Hispanic shoots a black kid in self defense it's front page news.

Oh, you know there's more to that story then that.

In fact, the George Zimmerman trial was a complicated affair precisely because of the convergence of several social issues and questions.

Two black kids beat an 88 year old white man to death and you will never see it on the lib media.

So, first of all, you are admitting that this thread is indeed about how hard it is to be a white man these days?

Second, you likely won't find many (I can't discount any possibility) people who don't think what happened to this man is tragic.

That doesn't make it newsworthy, however. And if you think the race of the perpetrators and the victims is the reason for this, you are being delusional.

If not for this thread you would never hear about this tragic crime.

Because crime isn't, in and of itself, a newsworthy phenomena. It's common, everyday stuff.

was the murder in Washington motivated by race?

I have no idea, the facts are not in yet but if two young white men beat an 88 year old black man to death the media would already be talking about race and looking for connections to the tea party or so called right wing radio.

Back
Top Bottom