• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am from Belgium. Give me your nuclear secrets

bub

R.I.P. Léo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Curiosities Emerge About Suspected Russian Agents

One explained her Russian-sounding accent by saying she was Belgian.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/nyregion/30suspects.html

Many Americans don’t even know what the native languages of Belgians are, let alone be able to recognize accents of Belgians speaking English. So if you have an unrecognized accent, and you declare yourself Belgian, you may well get away with it among most Americans, and you'll be regarded with less suspicion than if you declare yourself Russian or anything else Slavic.

Spy accents: I am from Belgium. Give me your nuclear secrets | The Economist

Now you know who I am :lol:

LOL so funny. Doubt that would work in Europe though :)

I always thought the native language of Belgium was belgish. :lol:

I always thought the native language of Belgium was belgish. :lol:

i always thought belgians looked like this

oompaloompa.gif

i mean, they make good chocolate, so its only logical.

LOL so funny. Doubt that would work in Europe though :)

You want to bet when most Europeans don't know either, since I saw on the comments in the Economist article that some European idiot that Belgians spoke french, and Flemish when they actually speak Dutch.

You want to bet when most Europeans don't know either, since I saw on the comments in the Economist article that some European idiot that Belgians spoke french, and Flemish when they actually speak Dutch.

The southern half speaks French and the northern half speaks Flemish, which is Dutch (it's the same difference as between UK English and US English)

But on the other hand, you have a point. I once met a French guy who believed we spoke Belgian.

And there is nothing to blame about that, it's normal, Belgium is pretty small.

Last edited:
I remember one American on here telling me that i posted a Breaking news article in the wrong area (i posted it in the Breaking news area) just because it wasn't happening in America. :roll:

This forum isn't just for Americans and there IS a world outside of America!

This might even be more funny in a couple of years if Belgium doesn't exist anymore...

That's a horrible thing to say.
We'd have to rename all of that chocolate :(

Sounds like a fair trade for all that beer and chocolate to me.

Flemish chocolates just wont sell as well as belgian chocolates

Pronounciation is far to close to Phlegm, which is not tasty at all

Flemish chocolates just wont sell as well as belgian chocolates

Pronounciation is far to close to Phlegm, which is not tasty at all

lol that is jokes. Phlegmish chocolate bars. Sounds like something out of harry potter.

This guy is also from Belgium

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

Get to know yer belgian..

TOP 10 REASONS FOR BEING BELGIAN

1. You get to speak three languages, but none of them intelligibly.
2. If other countries want to fight a war, they will do it in your country.
3. You can brew drinks out of fruit, and still call it beer.
4. You are either.. a) like the Dutch, just less efficient, or b) like the French, just less romantic.
5. Decent fries. Real mayonnaise. Great chocolate. The best beer.
6. No one knows anything about you, except for the Dutch and French and they make fun of you.
7. More scandals in a week than any other country in a decade.
8. You can drive like a maniac on the road and nobody cares
9. All your famous countrymen are either imaginary, or sex-offenders
10. Face it. It's not really a country, is it?

Last edited:

I would wager that most Europeans would not mistake a person from Holland with a Russian. Now we might mistake a Russian for Pole or Bulgarian, but not a person from Holland or France.. no way. The languages are far too different.

Back
Top Bottom