• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I’m the Head of Planned Parenthood. We’re Done Making Excuses for Our Founder.

For some reason a lot of people on this forum pretend Margaret Sanger wasn't a racist tied to eugenics. Well, now Planned Parenthood is admitting they were spreading fud to try to protect her image and their brand and they can't keep lying about her history anymore. They now admit she worked with the KKK to push her agenda and supported tricking those she deemed unfit to be sterilized.

This has long been known. Who's been lying about it?

Planned parenthood in the 21st century has nothing to do with the legacy or views of Sanger. She was anti-abortion and really does not represent anything planned parenthood stands for now.

Abortion is genocide. Hopefully hell has enough room for those who commit it.
Evidently, you do not know what genocide is.

Definition of genocide

: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group

You are the ones that keep bringing this up. It is as meaningless as saying our founders were racist so we are a racist country. I will keep bringing that up everytime.

We are clearly a racist country because our founders were slave owners.
I'm not sure why you're increasing your font and using bold to talk about slavery and our nation's founding. I think you may be confused. This thread is about Planned Parenthood and Margaret Sanger.

We need to stop funding it.
Can you elaborate on which funding you'd like to take away from Planned Parenthood?

Please, most abortions in the US are given to women of color.

Nothing has changed from the founders vision.
Most clinics are in poor neighborhoods with high minority residents.

Most clinics are in poor neighborhoods with high minority residents.
That's inline with the eugenicist vision too, they didn't want people breeding that "could not pull their weight in the social boat".

Jokes on us, now we have no population growth if you don't count immigrates children.

That's inline with the eugenicist vision too, they didn't want people breeding that "could not pull their weight in the social boat".

Jokes on us, now we have no population growth if you don't count immigrates children.
What a pile. Most clinics are in predominantly white neighbourhoods. And they are in poor neighbourhoods because poor people are the ones who use their services the most!

What a pile. Most clinics are in predominantly white neighbourhoods. And they are in poor neighbourhoods because poor people are the ones who use their services the most!
Which is it?

Interesting to see your view of racism is "so what." Out of curiosity, do you not object to racism only when you feel that it aligns with your politics or is this more of a general acceptance?
Interesting that you feel our country must be a bad one since it was founded by racists who actually wrote their racist beliefs into the constitution

Because the "services" target the poor, they always have, that's why PP was founded.

You can try and make any excuse you want for the genocide, we know what the score is.

Because the "services" target the poor, they always have, that's why PP was founded.

You can try and make any excuse you want for the genocide, we know what the score is.

Scrabaholic said:

Sanger placed PP clinics close to the neighborhoods she wanted to serve. She always felt that the well-to-do & wealthy could take care of themselves in terms of planning births - she focused on serving the working poor, mostly in tenements in her time. That is where PP tended to locate, & that pattern is still in place today, as far as I know. With the passage of time, those neighborhoods have changed in terms of who lives there: Mostly White ethnic neighborhoods have become more Black & Hispanic, but those neighborhoods are still where PP concentrates its efforts @ providing birth control & family planning & related services.

Can it be genocide if it's voluntary? Not by any definition that I'm aware of. But perhaps you have a different definition?

Do you really think the wealthy need them?

Abortion is not genocide.

Interesting that you feel our country must be a bad one since it was founded by racists who actually wrote their racist beliefs into the constitution
My view isn't "so what" about slavery or racism. I think you're confusing your position for mine. Let me know when you'd like to actually discuss the topic and when you'll be done projecting.

It seems like a safe conclusion that since you refused to answer the question that it's more of a general acceptance in regards to racism. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
My view isn't "so what" about slavery or racism. I think you're confusing your position for mine. Let me know when you'd like to actually discuss the topic and when you'll be done projecting.

It seems like a safe conclusion that since you refused to answer the question that it's more of a general acceptance in regards to racism. Thanks for clearing that up.
Then state your view of this country being founded by racist slave owners and how that is better than who founded PP

Or not

Let me be clear. I always object to racism

Then state your view of this country being founded by racist slave owners and how that is better than who founded PP

Or not
Sure, make a thread about it and I'll engage you there. Your position right now is just an attempt to derail this thread because you've gone down a racist logic path that you know is untenable.

Sure, make a thread about it and I'll engage you there. Your position right now is just an attempt to derail this thread because you've gone down a racist logic path that you know is untenable.
I see. Then I accept your concession

...... The point is that there are many on this forum who pushed a false narrative about the organization's founder and that organization just set them straight. ....... What is relevant is that many people on this forum have been pushing a lie and they've just been completely exposed. I get you're trying to play hide the ball to give them air cover, but I don't have the desire to do so.
In her letter Alexis McGill Johnson, the CEO of PP claimed that, " In the name of political expedience she (Sanger) chose to engage white supremacists to further her cause. In doing that she devalued and dehumanized people of color."

Sanger never engaged with white supremacists groups. She spoke, by invitation, to one group of women's auxiliary of the KKK . She talked about serial pregnancies and how birth control worked. She wrote at length about her experience and her disagreement with the goals of the KKK women and never spoke to another KKK group. When she speaks of immigrants, and minorities being illiterate, living in abject poverty, overcrowded slums, undernourished, uneducated, and debilitated she was not denigrating, dehumanizing, or devaluing any race or ethnicity she was simply reporting the appalling conditions created by serial pregnancies and the great need for birth control.

Again, Ms Johnson, is simply wrong when she states that Puerto Rican women were victims of birth control pill testing. Puerto Rico was chosen because birth control was legal and they had a system of clinics from which to contact women. Most US states would have prohibited testing of women's birth control. The study was voluntary, any woman could join. Women were told that the pills prevented pregnancy. So many women volunteered that another study group was set up. They were not told about the side effects because almost nothing was known about them, hence the testing.

Sanger did support the eugenics movement but Johnson implies her support was racist and intended to harm Blacks. The discovery of genes and the knowledge that better plants and animals could be bred using genetics fascinated the world and the idea of improving the human race fostered international eugenics organizations. Starting in the 1950s, long after Sanger ha disowned eugenics, the movement degenerated into racism and states used it against poor men and women: Mexican, Black and white. Sanger saw eugenics as dealing with the problem and not with the cause of human unfitness. In 1919 she wrote:

"While I personally believe in the sterilization of the feeble-minded, the insane and syphilitic, ...... they do not go to the bottom of the matter. ..... do not touch those great masses, who through economic pressure populate the slums and there produce, in their helplessness, other helpless, diseased and incompetent masses, who overwhelm all that eugenics can do ..... Birth Control, on the other hand, .....enables the child to be better born, better cared for in infancy and better educated........ Eugenics without Birth Control .... is at the mercy of the rising stream of the unfit. ...... Only upon a free, self-determining motherhood can rest any unshakable structure of racial betterment."

Planned Parenthood, like its founder, is committed to helping men and women build stronger, healthier, caring families. A navel gazing CEO falsely calling her a racist will hasten the banning of abortion and women's birth control.

Last edited:
........... Planned Parenthood, like its founder, is committed to helping men and women build stronger, healthier, caring families. A navel gazing CEO falsely calling her a racist will hasten the banning of abortion and women's birth control.

And that possibility looms very large. The Supreme Court has just agreed to hear the Mississippi anti-abortion law that bans abortions after the 15th week. I wonder id Alexis McGill Johnson has any idea how damaging her letter has been and will be.

Then as now, women of means have access to family planning services that poor women don't. Thus, they have more unwanted pregnancies. Sanger's own mother had 11 children. Was dead by about age 45.

Sanger put together a book of all the letters she had received pleading for help in controlling the number of pregnancies. The letter writers are almost always poor, in poor health and with several children also in poor health. They desperately want to do the right thing for their present children but they don't have any way to control the serial pregnancies that are destroying the family. There are about 350 letter altogether and all represent men, women and families at the mercy of laws that prevented any birth control information being given by books, articles, doctors, counselors, clinics, through the mail or sold in pharmacies or by doctors and clinics.

Will the Supreme Court return us to this time by deciding that abortion and contraception are sins and women should accept every pregnancy as a gift from God.

There are 5 justices on the Supreme Court that are devout Catholics and one justice that was raised Catholic and has conservative views. What are the chances that a women's right to make personal decisions about childbearing will the precedence over the alleged "right" of a fetus?

Back
Top Bottom