• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I’m taking off my mask today......

Anyone who thinks masks are for show are moronic idiots. Go have surgery and demand the surgeon not wear a mask since they are apparently pointless. Why do conservatives even bother going to the doctor if they don't believe in science and medicine? Go have some blogger medically treat them

Feel free to point to any science whatsoever indicating that mask mandates made a shred of difference during the Omicron surge.

There's plenty to the contrary.

......almost two years to the date that I first put it on whenever I went anywhere that there were people, like the grocery store or any other shopping errand. I am 76 years old and have COPD, so I needed to be careful. I have the first two Moderna shots plus the booster. The local hospitals have closed their COVID ICUs and the country has been declared as having a “medium threat by the CDC. The CDC recommends those in areas of high risk to wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public, regardless of their vaccination status. But there is no such recommendation for communities at medium risk for the virus.
Just imagine how much more quickly we could have reached this level of the ignorant right wingers had not gone apoplectic over just getting a vaccination meant to protect both themselves and those with whom they can in contact.
Anyway, I guess I’ll leave the mask off unless and until another surge.
Welcome to the world of choice and individual responsibility.

As COVID becomes less and less dangerous and more folks get vaccinated and get boosters (which may be an annual thing like flu shots), then great, we can ease up on masks and social distancing…and respect those around us.

For those of us who follow the mandates and got the shots…we are happy to do so. It means wearing the mask less and being able to continue life. For us, it was about listening to experts who kept us up to date and who gave updated data which helped us to make choices.

But for the right, it was never about the science or medicine…it was all political theater for them. Just to own the libs. They never had the science back their claims up (seriously, horse dewormer?)…but even if they did try that, it really was only half hearted.

It was all political to the right. It was about owning the libs. It was about Trump.

For them it was never the science. It was never the medicine. It was never about their neighbor. And worse, it was never about America.

It was about their being butthurt when for the first time in their lives they couldn’t boss someone around anymore.

It was just about owning the libs so they could “win”.

Sad.

We never left that world. But it isn't the libertarian fantasy you seem to imply. If someone knows they are sick and they cough while standing near you, who is making the choice and who is accepting individual responsibility? it is no different than any other irresponsible thing that people do that can affect others who don't do those irresponsible things. There are reasonable expectations for how we should expect people in society to behave, especially when their behavior can negatively impact others around them.

Maybe the people that didn't want to be safe during a pandemic are simply all those guys and girls that ran around having unprotected sex when they were younger.

Just imagine how much more quickly we could have reached this level of the ignorant right wingers had not gone apoplectic over just getting a vaccination meant to protect both themselves and those with whom they can in contact.
You had me until this twaddle. But I see you gave yourself cover with the "meant to" hedge. Too cute by half.
You know that the vax didn't stop infection, nor transmission.
But good on you for finally deciding the stop masking after 2 years.

typical dumb comments from conservatives, holy shit. The patient rooms are sanitized, wiped down, has air filtration. The dentist and assistant are masked, gloved and wearing a face shield . The waiting room is not sanitized, there are other patients, receptions staff.

Are you seriously that clueless that you ask such a moronic question?
Apparently he is that clueless, not to mention selfish. In fairness, he has a lot of company. Every covidiot and every maskhole, by definition, is selfish....they are ALWAYS only about ME ME ME ME. See a sign on the dentist office: ignore it.
The world would be a much better place without covidiots and maskholes.

We never left that world. But it isn't the libertarian fantasy you seem to imply. If someone knows they are sick and they cough while standing near you, who is making the choice and who is accepting individual responsibility? it is no different than any other irresponsible thing that people do that can affect others who don't do those irresponsible things. There are reasonable expectations for how we should expect people in society to behave, especially when their behavior can negatively impact others around them.
At what point does your "reasonable expectations" become law? We have learned to live with the spread of diseases throughout our lives without resorting to mandates. The flu has taken a backseat to covid in so far as its spread and that can be largely attributed to the safety precautions people have become accustomed to as a result of dealing with covid. Simple things like avoiding direct contact (like shaking hands) with people you don't know as well as washing your hands. None of the precautionary steps advised for the common flu required mandates and yet for the hyperventilating covid mob only mandates would work bypassing individual choice and responsibility.

"Reasonable expectations". What does that mean and who gets to decide what is "reasonable"?

My job still has us masked up. As for out in public, i did go into a store without one, and it felt weird. If there isn't another spike, I'll probably stop wearing it in public for a while when i feel more comfortable doing that.

At what point does your "reasonable expectations" become law? We have learned to live with the spread of diseases throughout our lives without resorting to mandates. The flu has taken a backseat to covid in so far as its spread and that can be largely attributed to the safety precautions people have become accustomed to as a result of dealing with covid. Simple things like avoiding direct contact (like shaking hands) with people you don't know as well as washing your hands. None of the precautionary steps advised for the common flu required mandates and yet for the hyperventilating covid mob only mandates would work bypassing individual choice and responsibility.

"Reasonable expectations". What does that mean and who gets to decide what is "reasonable"?

Reasonable expectations become law when there are too many unreasonable people doing what they want to do without regard for others and causing harm.

You seem to be equating the COVID pandemic with seasonal flus. They are not the same. It is a matter of numbers and susceptibility. Covid times are not normal times. And there have been no permanent laws passed regarding Covid behavior. So it is the "freedom" mob getting all worked up about nothing.

Your elected officials or their delegates get to decide what is "reasonable", just as they always have. If you don't like what they are deciding you vote for someone else next time. Elected officials have decided, for example, that cars may not go as fast as they like, that there will be speed limits; that people may not drive drunk and your elected officials have decided that an alcohol level of .08 or more is the level at which you are likely impaired; your elected officials have decided that you may not smoke cigarettes indoors inside restaurants in most locations etc etc etc etc.
There are many decisions I don't like either, but I live with them just as everyone needs to live with them. If there is a mask mandate it is NOT reasonable to ignore it.

......almost two years to the date that I first put it on whenever I went anywhere that there were people, like the grocery store or any other shopping errand. I am 76 years old and have COPD, so I needed to be careful. I have the first two Moderna shots plus the booster. The local hospitals have closed their COVID ICUs and the country has been declared as having a “medium threat by the CDC. The CDC recommends those in areas of high risk to wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public, regardless of their vaccination status. But there is no such recommendation for communities at medium risk for the virus.
On a trip to a state with no mandates, I'm not wearing a mask except when I go into a business where the employees are wearing them, then I'll put it on. Honestly, I don't see it as a problem and for all of you who do...worry about a real problem.

I haven't worn a mask in the US for any reason other than flying in an airplane in about 8 months. It's about a year now since it was anything but a rarity.

Feel free to wear them, but they do not work - at least the "cloth face coverings" and the "blue paper surgical masks" do not work. The n-95 are helpful, when properly worn.

What works is keeping distant from people, washing hands regularly, etc. The vaccines are good, but their efficacy was way overstated, and their lack of side effects was way understated , and that was done on purpose just to get people to take them. When people are lied to "for their own good" they tend to get very bothered by it. Next time, I don't want Dr. Fauci trying to "push the narrative" like he liked to do - making statements that weren't true, because he expected a certain reaction from the public. That's not is job.

Are you an expert in infectious diseases? Dr Fauci is. Guess whose advice I will seek.

On a trip to a state with no mandates, I'm not wearing a mask except when I go into a business where the employees are wearing them, then I'll put it on. Honestly, I don't see it as a problem and for all of you who do...worry about a real problem.

A real problem like over 200,000 COVID-related deaths in the past two years? You mean a real problem like that?

You mean the “individual responsibility” of the Republicans who refused to get the vaccine and/or to wear a mask and thus contributed mightily to the spread of the disease that killed over 200,000 in the past two years. You’re proud of that? Really.

You had me until this twaddle. But I see you gave yourself cover with the "meant to" hedge. Too cute by half.

Are you a infectious disease expert?

Lots of falsehoods and quibbling but short on facts and truth.

A real problem like over 200,000 COVID-related deaths in the past two years? You mean a real problem like that?
That would qualify as a real problem and if they thought about it, real humans would put on the mask.

Prove it.
Please don’t bother debating facts. It only feeds the trolls.You might as well debate that Saturday follows Friday.

Are you an expert in infectious diseases? Dr Fauci is. Guess whose advice I will seek.
That's a different question. Try to focus.

He specifically admitted that he would say stuff that wasn't accurate based on what he thought the public would do.

He specifically admitted that he would say stuff that wasn't accurate based on what he thought the public would do.

I’m focused. You made claims about vaccinations and masks and other aspects of the COVID pandemic. Ow answer the question. Are you an infectious disease expert.
As for your claim about Dr Fauci: prove it or shut up.

False global claim.

Yup. Fauci lied-once. You are referring to the time he told us that it would likely take 70% compliance with vaccination to achieve herd immunity because we “weren’t ready” to hear 90%.
That’s it. If you think he lied (and don’t include changing recommendations when new information appeared) another time by all means prove it.

Back
Top Bottom