• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

****! I’m Old!

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My Iphone is sending barometer readings to IBM/Weather Channel, my smart TV is sending viewing data to advertisers and now Apple Ear Buds can be configured to listen in on conversations. ......and there are cameras everywhere. I am going to have to read “1984.” It was assigned reading in high school, but somehow I skated.....

1) L.A. Sues IBM'''s Weather Company over '''Deceptive''' Weather Channel App | Fortune

2) https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securi...ou-watching-tv-consumer-reports-finds-n845456

3) https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-airpods-live-listen-feature-misused-for-spying/

Edit: Insult to injury; they just announced the three acts for SB half-time and I haven’t heard of any of them!

Last edited:
My Iphone is sending barometer readings to IBM/Weather Channel, my smart TV is sending viewing data to advertisers and now Apple Ear Buds can be configured to listen in on conversations. ......and there are cameras everywhere. I am going to have to read “1984.” It was assigned reading in high school, but somehow I skated.....

1) L.A. Sues IBM'''s Weather Company over '''Deceptive''' Weather Channel App | Fortune

2) https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securi...ou-watching-tv-consumer-reports-finds-n845456

3) https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-airpods-live-listen-feature-misused-for-spying/

Edit: Insult to injury; they just announced the three acts for SB half-time and I haven’t heard of any of them!

In your defense almost nobody wants to do SB halftime anymore, the fact that they dont get paid is only one of many reasons.

In your defense almost nobody wants to do SB halftime anymore, the fact that they dont get paid is only one of many reasons.

They can just pad the expense account!

From the link—“The costs are nothing to sniff at either. They can run more than $10 million, according to online news outlet Heavy.com. In fact, Super Bowl XLIX halftime performer Katy Perry told Billboard that the NFL asked her to pay some of the costs, although she declined to do so.”

Lady Gaga Super Bowl Halftime Show: How Much Will She Make? | Money

The true test to determine if you are old:

How long can you sleep for before you have to get up and pee?

So true. Add in the middle of the night, 3/4 asleep, bathroom lights on, no spillage
And do NOT forget to close the seat

*sigh*

Who sleeps?

Yes, I'm that old.

And the kids wonder why we like to nap so much

But it is nice being up early in the morning. I sit on my porch, which has a nice view of the Hudson River, and watch the sunrise while I drink my morning covfefe

But it is nice being up early in the morning. I sit on my porch, which has a nice view of the Hudson River, and watch the sunrise while I drink my morning covfefe

:lol:

I see wut you did thar!

Are you north of Newburg (sp?). Years ago we we rode from Va to NH and passed thru West Point and headed north. I think we were not allowed to fuel our own machines. The Hudson Valley reminded me of European scenes; roads laid out along rivers and brooks......

So true. Add in the middle of the night, 3/4 asleep, bathroom lights on, no spillage

I leave the seat up, purposefully. Wherever I go. Big girls know how to look and put it down. :)

I also teach the grandkids to perform in front of obvious security cameras, making faces and such nonsense. Lots of fun as strangers join in.

LOL I don't turn on the light in the middle of the night either and one night my son opens the door and screams bloody murder because he didn't see me standing there wizzing away.

"Why didn't you turn on the light and lock the door??!!!"

"Because I was too sleepy to remember to lock the door and because I don't want the light to wake me up. Are you going to watch me finish peeing?" :lamo

Now the bolded is some funny stuff! :thumbs:

LOL I don't turn on the light in the middle of the night either and one night my son opens the door and screams bloody murder because he didn't see me standing there wizzing away.

"Because I was too sleepy to remember to lock the door and because I don't want the light to wake me up. Are you going to watch me finish peeing?" :lamo
I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to family living, the more walls, doors, floors, and bathrooms separating everyone - the better it is! Parents on the second floor, guests on the first floor, kids in the basement, and everyone meets in the kitchen, dining room, and front room, when they want to be communal. Otherwise, to each their own corner!

Always lock the door, or you too shall hear at 4 in the morning or thereabouts, a 3 year old granddaughter asking "why do you pee standing up?"

Are you north of Newburg (sp?). Years ago we we rode from Va to NH and passed thru West Point and headed north. I think we were not allowed to fuel our own machines. The Hudson Valley reminded me of European scenes; roads laid out along rivers and brooks......

The Hudson Valley is absolutely stunning. Funny how people who have never been to NY automatically assume that all of NY is concrete and tall buildings, and "Where you there when the towers fell?" :roll:

I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to family living, the more walls, doors, floors, and bathrooms separating everyone - the better it is! Parents on the second floor, guests on the first floor, kids in the basement, and everyone meets in the kitchen, dining room, and front room, when they want to be communal. Otherwise, to each their own corner!

Lots of money will be made fixing the recent open floor plan houses at some point I figure.

My Iphone is sending barometer readings to IBM/Weather Channel, my smart TV is sending viewing data to advertisers and now Apple Ear Buds can be configured to listen in on conversations. ......and there are cameras everywhere.
The weather app issue is just a claim in a law suit and it’s not immediately clear what the technical details actually are – do you really have more trust in lawyers? ;)

The Smart TV issue involves some systems sending basic viewing data to the suppliers. It is configurable (though most people will skip over that option) and there’s no immediate evidence of any of that data being misused.

The Apple Ear Buds issue is about claims that some people are choosing to abuse an otherwise legitimate functionality. That’s entirely down to those individuals.

Cameras have been “everywhere” for decades but I’d argue this is generally more good than bad. Plenty of serious criminals have only been caught because they were seen on CCTV.

I am going to have to read “1984.” It was assigned reading in high school, but somehow I skated.....
Please do. You might realise how many people misrepresent it’s actual meaning when they refer to it in reference to technology used by private companies. The novel was about the policies of a manipulative fascist government and how people respond to it. The fictional technologies everyone obsesses over were very much background elements.
Age is no excuse for having knee-jerk reactions to tabloid news rather than seeking out the true details and reaching rational conclusions. :cool:

The weather app issue is just a claim in a law suit and it’s not immediately clear what the technical details actually are – do you really have more trust in lawyers? ;)

The Smart TV issue involves some systems sending basic viewing data to the suppliers. It is configurable (though most people will skip over that option) and there’s no immediate evidence of any of that data being misused.

The Apple Ear Buds issue is about claims that some people are choosing to abuse an otherwise legitimate functionality. That’s entirely down to those individuals.

Cameras have been “everywhere” for decades but I’d argue this is generally more good than bad. Plenty of serious criminals have only been caught because they were seen on CCTV.

Please do. You might realise how many people misrepresent it’s actual meaning when they refer to it in reference to technology used by private companies. The novel was about the policies of a manipulative fascist government and how people respond to it. The fictional technologies everyone obsesses over were very much background elements.
Age is no excuse for having knee-jerk reactions to tabloid news rather than seeking out the true details and reaching rational conclusions. :cool:

I keep looking for the ”tongue-in-cheek” emoji.............:shrug:

I keep looking for the ”tongue-in-cheek” emoji.............:shrug:
I gathered your post wasn’t entirely serious but you were still propagating misinformation and myths that need to be corrected at every opportunity.

Oh it's no biggie, I had my back to him anyway, I think he just didn't expect anyone to be in there with the lights off.
Eventually our daughter will be going off on her own and he will inherit her bedroom which has its own bathroom anyway.
It was laugh material later.

Always lock the door, or you too shall hear at 4 in the morning or thereabouts, a 3 year old granddaughter asking "why do you pee standing up?"

I normally do. I think I was on sleep auto-pilot.

I know what you mean. I bring a bucket in the house when the weather is cold, so i dont have to go piss off the back porch. the cold air wakes me to the point where i cant sleep.

Back
Top Bottom