• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hypothetical - Private life vs Work life

Is the company right to fire Person X?

• Yes

• No

• Uncertain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atreus21

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Person X is an American citizen who maintains an office job over the last 10 years. X's performance at the workplace has been very good, and X gets along with all coworkers just fine regardless of racial/sexual differences. There have never been complaints about X, and all has been well.

Someone unrelated to the company discovers that X has been arguing the merits of Nazism/fascism/white supremacy on internet forums under an alias.

The company discovers this, and fires X.

Is that morally right?

Person X is an American citizen who maintains an office job over the last 10 years. X's performance at the workplace has been very good, and X gets along with all coworkers just fine regardless of racial/sexual differences. There have never been complaints about X, and all has been well.

Someone unrelated to the company discovers that X has been arguing the merits of Nazism/fascism/white supremacy on internet forums under an alias.

Is that morally right?
Sorry to hear you lost your job.

Be better next time.

Is that morally right?
Certainly.
What people do in their off time, can be a concern for employers.

Is that morally right?
Let’s rephrase this, ever so slightly.

Someone unrelated to the company discovers that X has been arguing the merits of man-boy sexual relations on internet forums under an alias.

Is that morally right?

Is that morally right?

1.) morals are subjective so thats not really a factor
2.) define arguing the merits of Nazism/white supremacy?

If that means fully supportive, in favor of, promoting and suggesting the country should be run that way . .then for many companies he is toast and typically it wont even be a task it will violate a policy in the company handbook that was signed agreed upon. Just like if he was supporting pedophilia and other sick views etc

additional hypothetical . . . .Its my company and I find out about it . . yes he is terminated if its what I described above. How can a loon like that ever be trusted and not be an instant liability and what happens when co workers find out? X is gone.

Firing him isn't only morally right, it is morally necessary.

I find it odd that there is a survey attached to such a gimme.

Certainly.
What people do in their off time, can be a concern for employers.

Insofar as it affects their interests, perhaps. I don't agree otherwise.

Let’s rephrase this, ever so slightly.

Someone unrelated to the company discovers that X has been arguing the merits of man-boy sexual relations on internet forums under an alias.

Is that morally right?

My answer would be the same, unless X has engaged in criminal conduct related to the subject.

Firing him isn't only morally right, it is morally necessary.

I find it odd that there is a survey attached to such a gimme.

I just can't agree. If I discovered that an employee supported Marxism or defended the Holodomor or some other ideology or act equally as murderous, I'd reach the same conclusion.

Last edited:
1.) morals are subjective so thats not really a factor
2.) define arguing the merits of Nazism/white supremacy?

Standard fare like holocaust denial, or justifying the notion of a master race.

If that means fully supportive, in favor of, promoting and suggesting the country should be run that way . .then for many companies he is toast and typically it wont even be a task it will violate a policy in the company handbook that was signed agreed upon. Just like if he was supporting pedophilia and other sick views etc

additional hypothetical . . . .Its my company and I find out about it . . yes he is terminated if its what I described above. How can a loon like that ever be trusted and not be an instant liability and what happens when co workers find out? X is gone.

The hypothetical states that he has been working competently for ten years without issue. That seems to indicate trustworthiness.

1.)Standard fare like holocaust denial, or justifying the notion of a master race.
2.)The hypothetical states that he has been working competently for ten years without issue. That seems to indicate trustworthiness.

1.) so flat out support for racism and bigotry, yeah fired
2.) actually it doesn't at all if they are that bat shit insane to support nazis and white supremacy . . . .it seems to scream a ticking time bomb to me.
You have to be severely mentally broken to support and promote those so its just a liability waiting to happen . . and again what happens if co-workers find out? no thanks. . . fired

like I said just like if it was found out he was supporting and promoting pedophilia etc

My answer would be the same, unless X has engaged in criminal conduct related to the subject.
😲 wow . . .thats an insane view . . . . . so you wouldnt fire somebody promoting and supporting child rape?????

Is that morally right?

If they don’t fire X, then they officially become known as an employer...and sympathizer...of Nazis. Is it fair to force the employer to be saddled with that reputation?

1.) so flat out support for racism and bigotry, yeah fired
2.) actually it doesn't at all if they are that bat shit insane to support nazis and white supremacy . . . .it seems to scream a ticking time bomb to me.
You have to be severely mentally broken to support and promote those so its just a liability waiting to happen . . and again what happens if co-workers find out? no thanks. . . fired

like I said just like if it was found out he was supporting and promoting pedophilia etc

Yeah. Just can't agree. It's one thing to avoid hiring them, but another to fire someone who had your complete confidence for years before you discovered they held some truly stupid positions.

Until their actions reflect it, I can't see punishing people for thinking the wrong things.

If they don’t fire X, then they officially become known as an employer...and sympathizer...of Nazis. Is it fair to force the employer to be saddled with that reputation?

Is the utility company also a Nazi sympathizer/enabler for providing water and electrical service to X's home? How far should we follow this logic?

😲 wow . . .thats an insane view . . . . . so you wouldnt fire somebody promoting and supporting child rape?????

Unless they're doing something illegal, no. Nor would I fire someone who advocated late term abortion, something equally as horrifying to me. Opinions alone, expressed external to the company's interests, shouldn't be grounds for termination.

IMO it's not so much a moral question as an 'ethical' question. A business usually supports owner and employees. If the public behavior of the individual places the security of the others at risk...which should be sacrificed?

I’m going to play devil’s advocate to the response to the OP by positing another question.

An elementary school employs a female teacher whose performance has been nothing but exemplary. It later comes out that in her off time, she’s been a sex worker or has been a sex worker in the past. The school fires her. Was it right for them to do so?

If not, why not? What are the important fundamental distinctions between my example and the example in the OP? I don’t mean the distinction between a sex worker and a Nazi because, trust me, I don’t need to be told what that difference is. But what is the philosophical difference is as it applies to the point of the thread?

1.) Yeah. Just can't agree. It's one thing to avoid hiring them, but another to fire someone who had your complete confidence for years before you discovered they held some truly stupid positions.
2.) Until their actions reflect it, I can't see punishing people for thinking the wrong things.
1.) no, its not "another thing", its common sense . . and to call nazisim and white supremacy and pedophilia as "just stupid positions" speaks volumes of your world views
2.) again that speaks volumes of your world views . . .nazism, pedophilia and white supremacy isn't just thinking wrong things LMAO

Ill ask again since you keep dodging it . . .what happens when co workers find out?

I know if I was an employee and there was a co worker that was promoting and supporting one of those three things if you didnt fire them, Id quit and rightfully out the company as a sympathizer

Is the utility company also a Nazi sympathizer/enabler for providing water and electrical service to X's home? How far should we follow this logic?

What? LMAO just stop . .theres a HUGE difference between a UTILITY company selling its product than a company employing somebody now you are just being intellectually dishonest, it should be embrassing

IMO it's not so much a moral question as an 'ethical' question. A business usually supports owner and employees. If the public behavior of the individual places the security of the others at risk...which should be sacrificed?

But it doesn't. X has been entirely professional in his dealings with coworkers and colleagues.

What? LMAO just stop . .theres a HUGE difference between a UTILITY company selling its product than a company employing somebody now you are just being intellectually dishonest, it should be embrassing

No meaningful difference. It's still an economic transaction.

But it doesn't. X has been entirely professional in his dealings with coworkers and colleagues.
Doesnt matter if their customers become aware of his public persona and object to his actions/opinions and associate it with the business. And then decide not to use that business.

I’m going to play devil’s advocate to the response to the OP by positing another question.

An elementary school employs a female teacher whose performance has been nothing but exemplary. It later comes out that in her off time, she’s been a sex worker or has been a sex worker in the past. The school fires her. Was it right for them to do so?

If not, why not? What are the important fundamental distinctions between my example and the example in the OP? I don’t mean the distinction between a sex worker and a Nazi because, trust me, I don’t need to be told what that difference is. But what is the philosophical difference is as it applies to the point of the thread?
interesting

My answer is the same for part one based on what I said about policy. typically a handbook or contract you agree too, especially with a school and dealing with minors, that would probably handle that and they would be fired for misconduct or violating some other clause

for part two, my own business, my answer changes . . . my own personal company, I wouldn't fired person X unless it was a liability. If my company is a shipping company its probably a nonfactor

so for me since you want differences . .

1.) I don't see being a sex worker as a mentally broken sociopath and dangerous to others and society like I do supporting and promoting nazism, white supremacy and or pedophilia
2.) I can't think of a scenario where employing a mentally broke sociopath is not a liability and a ticking time bomb

of course, those are subjective but definitely how I view it . . . .a person with an onlyfans is not the same as a nazi

No meaningful difference. It's still an economic transaction.

actually based on law you are factually wrong LMAO but that's not surprising based on your views on this topic

I also ask you again, what happens when your employees find out?

Back
Top Bottom