• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hyper-partisans - Where do you draw the line?

I would specify that this thread is aimed at folks who know what moderation is or who aren't extremists themselves, but the whole point is that they can't tell.

In threads on both sides of the aisle the last several days, I have hit the same extremism that made me wander off political boards for a year or so. I really enjoy a good debate and I think this board does far better than most. I actually enjoy being proven wrong and pulled to the other side or at least arguing with someone who can see something outside their views even if they don't agree with me in the end.

Unfortunately, we all know the extremists. The folks that will hold tight to their views no matter how categorically proven wrong or who have no concept of their own failures in logic. There are a ton of them mixed in with all the intelligent folks here.

My question is this; where do you just drop them? I'm not the type of guy who needs to get the last word and I know that you will never end an argument with a hyper-partisan on a reasonable note. I often find myself walking away and pitying them on how much they miss.

Where do you personally draw the line? Do you feel a couple tries is enough to show them logic? Do you keep it up in hopes that you will convince them or the other fools who believe as they do? Do you just see a name and not think it's worth responding? Does the first sign of refusing to even read opposing views make you give up on them anymore?

Share your thoughts. I would enjoy if this thread didn't turn into a hate-fest, but I'm not a moderator. Please try to keep your responses to I statements and not attacks on any other person.

You've been here as long as I have. You know which ones you'd rather avoid. :lol:

That's what I do. I know who to avoid. I know who to scroll on past. I am obviously left-leaning, but I don't avoid, or scroll past everyone on the right. Echo chambers are no fun. That being said, it's pointless to even try to debate with certain people, because you'll get nowhere.

Makes total sense.

To those reading and responding, I appreciate it and have a question. How much does your pride or stubbornness bother you when you have to let a moron feel like they won? I admit it bothers me much more than it should as a reasonable adult.

it used to bother me a lot more than it does now. I used to be this kind of person that was like, "There's something on the internet! I have to make sure that they know I am right!" :lol: Now, I just don't care. After a while, if I see that debate is pointless, I just walk away.

It doesn't sting like it used to. Now, I just drop it in the ****-it bucket and walk away.

it used to bother me a lot more than it does now. I used to be this kind of person that was like, "There's something on the internet! I have to make sure that they know I am right!" :lol: Now, I just don't care. After a while, if I see that debate is pointless, I just walk away.

It doesn't sting like it used to. Now, I just drop it in the ****-it bucket and walk away.
For me, realizing that the person I'm talking to is irrational helped me not take it personally when they make ignorant assessments of my beliefs. It also helps to understand that some people 'drink the kool-aid' and even if they do know they have been duped by their ideological leaders, they'd still rather stand by what they've already endorsed, over taking responsibility for repeating untruths.

People have to want to honestly assess their beliefs, nobody can force them to.

For me, realizing that the person I'm talking to is irrational helped me not take it personally when they make ignorant assessments of my beliefs. It also helps to understand that some people 'drink the kool-aid' and even if they do know they have been duped by their ideological leaders, they'd still rather stand by what they've already endorsed, over taking responsibility for repeating untruths.

I've definitely learned that here. You can lead a horse to water, and all that.

Well said. Thanks for the comment.

I try very hard to keep an open mind and have been swayed a few times on here. I actually had an incredibly weird experience at one point; I was wrong about something. It was very disturbing. I tried to use the experience to grown and had a very fruitful conversation following the realization.

I know a lot of folks (probably more than those who don't) come here just to spew talking points and to teach people a lesson. However, I really enjoy discourse with those who come here to get another viewpoint and are open to real discussion. Some of the folks on here are incredibly intelligent.

Well said. Thanks for the comment.

I try very hard to keep an open mind and have been swayed a few times on here. I actually had an incredibly weird experience at one point; I was wrong about something. It was very disturbing. I tried to use the experience to grown and had a very fruitful conversation following the realization.

I know a lot of folks (probably more than those who don't) come here just to spew talking points and to teach people a lesson. However, I really enjoy discourse with those who come here to get another viewpoint and are open to real discussion. Some of the folks on here are incredibly intelligent.
Thanks.

In my experience what grows a person more than anything is that humbling reminder every once in awhile of being fallible, and learning not just what to think, but also how to think.

I would specify that this thread is aimed at folks who know what moderation is or who aren't extremists themselves, but the whole point is that they can't tell.

In threads on both sides of the aisle the last several days, I have hit the same extremism that made me wander off political boards for a year or so. I really enjoy a good debate and I think this board does far better than most. I actually enjoy being proven wrong and pulled to the other side or at least arguing with someone who can see something outside their views even if they don't agree with me in the end.

Unfortunately, we all know the extremists. The folks that will hold tight to their views no matter how categorically proven wrong or who have no concept of their own failures in logic. There are a ton of them mixed in with all the intelligent folks here.

My question is this; where do you just drop them? I'm not the type of guy who needs to get the last word and I know that you will never end an argument with a hyper-partisan on a reasonable note. I often find myself walking away and pitying them on how much they miss.

Where do you personally draw the line? Do you feel a couple tries is enough to show them logic? Do you keep it up in hopes that you will convince them or the other fools who believe as they do? Do you just see a name and not think it's worth responding? Does the first sign of refusing to even read opposing views make you give up on them anymore?

Share your thoughts. I would enjoy if this thread didn't turn into a hate-fest, but I'm not a moderator. Please try to keep your responses to I statements and not attacks on any other person.

Well, if you know they are hyper-partisan to begin with then you should be smart enough to know that you ain't never gettin through, not even on the first try. But, sometimes I like playing games with them since they aren't good for anything else. It's like picking the wings off flies just for the sadistic pleasure of it. Of course they are too stupid to realize it and think you are actually debating with them. And, as you say, it is their belief that if they get the last word in then they have won the debate.

Back
Top Bottom