• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Sally, now a Category 2 storm, threatens the Gulf Coast

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
People in Missisippi and Alabama, keep safe. Sally is coming to visit. I hope you're not in her path, and if you are , evacuate as needed. It's an active hurricane season this year, so be safe.

Hurricane Sally: Millions prepare for Category 2 storm path as three governors declare state of emergency - CBS News

Dauphin Island, Alabama — As the time to prepare for Hurricane Sally runs out, the storm's threat is coming into focus. Forecasters are expecting a storm surge of up to 11 feet for parts of the Gulf Coast and up to 16 inches of rainfall. Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana have all declared a state of emergency.

More than 17 million people are in the path of the Category 2 hurricane. Hundreds of miles of coastline are under storm watches and warnings. There's a possibility that Sally will turn into a major Category 3 storm with maximum sustained winds of at least 111 mph before it makes landfall Tuesday afternoon.

Andrew Gilich, the mayor of Biloxi, Mississippi, is concerned about the storm surge. "We're hearing, of course, it's changing almost every hour, 7 to 11 feet of storm surge," he said. "That's what kills people."

People in Missisippi and Alabama, keep safe. Sally is coming to visit. I hope you're not in her path, and if you are , evacuate as needed. It's an active hurricane season this year, so be safe.

Hurricane Sally: Millions prepare for Category 2 storm path as three governors declare state of emergency - CBS News
With it seemingly slowing down & due to change directions, it looks like this thing is going to hover & slowly come ashore, churning-up water for maybe 24hrs. Shades of Harvey!

New Orleans missed three bullets in the last few weeks.

I wonder if this will lead some Mississippians and Alabamians to reconsider their stance on global warming.

New Orleans missed three bullets in the last few weeks.

I wonder if this will lead some Mississippians and Alabamians to reconsider their stance on global warming.
The big deal seems to be the rapid intensification. These things get into the Gulf, and go from storm to serious hurricane in one day. Laura literally went from a 1 to a very high 4 in around 24hrs. Amazing!

The big deal seems to be the rapid intensification. These things get into the Gulf, and go from storm to serious hurricane in one day. Laura literally went from a 1 to a very high 4 in around 24hrs. Amazing!

It’s 90 degree water!

That’s physics for ya.

The water in the gulf is particularly warm this year.

And I continued to be baffled by people who willingly live in places with constant hurricanes.

And I continued to be baffled by people who willingly live in places with constant hurricanes.
For places like Houston, you have to be careful when buying a home, learn how to read and understand a topographical map,
and choose a home where it is least likely to flood.
During Harvey, I had 48 inches of rain, over a weekend, the news was that 20% of the homes in Houston flooded,
but technically that means that 80% of the homes did not flood.
Beyond that it is a matter of preparation, and homes constructed to minimize wind impact.
Just like a home in Canada is built to hold a snow load, and the utilities are designed for better than -20C.
We get a bad storm about every 20 years, 1983, 2007, and minor storms (That can cause lots of flooding, like Harvey),
maybe every 8 years.
Thankfully forecasting has gotten good enough, that if you feed the need to leave, you have several days to do so.

It’s warming.

Any idiot can see that.

41e26f48e6190fdb82aee997c5b94dca.jpg

It’s warming.

Any idiot can see that.

41e26f48e6190fdb82aee997c5b94dca.jpg

You lied about the water temperature. Why did you do that?

Also, the storm weakened. It's barely a cat 1 now.

It’s 90 degree water!

That’s physics for ya.

you made me look. i had no idea:
A one degree Fahrenheit rise in ocean temperature can increase a hurricane's wind speed by 15 to 20 miles per hour – enough to shift a storm to the next category of severity.

you can choose snow storms, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, or hurricanes

For places like Houston, you have to be careful when buying a home, learn how to read and understand a topographical map,
and choose a home where it is least likely to flood.
During Harvey, I had 48 inches of rain, over a weekend, the news was that 20% of the homes in Houston flooded,
but technically that means that 80% of the homes did not flood.
Beyond that it is a matter of preparation, and homes constructed to minimize wind impact.
Just like a home in Canada is built to hold a snow load, and the utilities are designed for better than -20C.
We get a bad storm about every 20 years, 1983, 2007, and minor storms (That can cause lots of flooding, like Harvey),
maybe every 8 years.
Thankfully forecasting has gotten good enough, that if you feed the need to leave, you have several days to do so.

government did it for you back in the 70s
go to the city engineering office and request a look at the (a) floodway zone and (b) floodway fringe zone maps for the locale you are interested in

good time to ask if there are any maps available projecting the location of future infrastructure development

you can choose snow storms, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, or hurricanes

Snow storms aren't going regularly damage where I live and cause me and thousands of others to evacuate.

Have you noticed that, IT IS NOT JUNE?

Sorry I didn’t serve you data in September. I didn’t spend a whole gotta time looking, tbh.

Spent more time than you, however...since you apparently just want to whine rather than looking into the data you need.

I’ll just point out..the gulf is a lot warmer in Aug/Sept than In June.

And I’m guessing the pattern over the years is pretty similar.

Having family and friends in Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulf Port, Gulf Shores and Dauphin Island, I am very concerned. Seems like it's just one event after another.

Back
Top Bottom