• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Sally, now a Category 2 storm, threatens the Gulf Coast

Having family and friends in Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulf Port, Gulf Shores and Dauphin Island, I am very concerned. Seems like it's just one event after another.

california says to hold its beer

For the first time in my experience, the NOAA hurricane map shows 7 storms in the north Atlantic Ocean. The most recent to form is located at a latitude which may well result in a final impact on the US coast. Still others may form.

The effect of these storms, particularly if serious damage occurs in the US, on the 2020 election may be significant in several ways. All we can do is wait and see.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

government did it for you back in the 70s
go to the city engineering office and request a look at the (a) floodway zone and (b) floodway fringe zone maps for the locale you are interested in

good time to ask if there are any maps available projecting the location of future infrastructure development
Those maps are almost worthless in Houston, and quite a few people who followed them were flooded during Hurricane Harvey, I was not!
You have to keep in mind that they built subdivisions, behind flood control dams, at elevations below the maximum water level of the dams,
yet those projects were approved!:doh
It also does not help that the nearly flat topology (~90 feet over 50 miles) means that new construction can change flow patterns.

Having family and friends in Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulf Port, Gulf Shores and Dauphin Island, I am very concerned. Seems like it's just one event after another.
I hope everyone stays safe, Hurricanes are no joke!

Sorry I didn’t serve you data in September. I didn’t spend a whole gotta time looking, tbh.

Spent more time than you, however...since you apparently just want to whine rather than looking into the data you need.

I’ll just point out..the gulf is a lot warmer in Aug/Sept than In June.

And I’m guessing the pattern over the years is pretty similar.
You might think that, but August is not the same as September, water temperatures fall off at the first part of September.
Physical Oceanography - NOAA Tides & Currents

you can choose snow storms, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, or hurricanes

Very true. I learned I'm not a cold weather person, so no on snowstorms. Floods, seems they come more often with hurricane type stuff, and honestly I told a friend a few years ago that lived in FL that I'd like to experience a hurricane, but not in my own home or belongings. Like if I was visiting someone or somewhere (secure) I'm a fiend for wind. Tornado, I honestly look back and think storm chaser would have been an insanely crazy, but exciting career to have headed toward back in high school. But you forgot fire. It's all great and relaxing, birds, wildlife and then comes heat, wind, and boom. But then like the others, they rebuild. Or move on to another type disaster.

Given the list? I'd go earthquake and tornadoes but not someplace like tornado alley. Also earthquakes aren't seasonal. :mrgreen:

Has trump tweeted that he told us Alabama would get hit? Maybe now saying eventually like how Covid will go away some day?

Very true. I learned I'm not a cold weather person, so no on snowstorms. Floods, seems they come more often with hurricane type stuff, and honestly I told a friend a few years ago that lived in FL that I'd like to experience a hurricane, but not in my own home or belongings. Like if I was visiting someone or somewhere (secure) I'm a fiend for wind. Tornado, I honestly look back and think storm chaser would have been an insanely crazy, but exciting career to have headed toward back in high school. But you forgot fire. It's all great and relaxing, birds, wildlife and then comes heat, wind, and boom. But then like the others, they rebuild. Or move on to another type disaster.

Given the list? I'd go earthquake and tornadoes but not someplace like tornado alley. Also earthquakes aren't seasonal. :mrgreen:

Has trump tweeted that he told us Alabama would get hit? Maybe now saying eventually like how Covid will go away some day?

while working disaster relief i ran into an unusual client/situation
pleasant fellow and his wife had lived in SF and their home was damaged by the loma prieta earthquake of '89
they took out a disaster loan to repair the extensive damage
moved to hawaii and their home was severely damaged by hurricane iniki in '92
another disaster loan on the second property, which became the primary residence since the earlier SF RE would not sell for enough to cover the outstanding mortgages
and i met him when writing a disaster loan for his subsequent primary residence in northridge, california, after the '94 quake
while processing that direly needed second mortgage, we found out that the architect responsible for disbursing the hawaii loan monies to the contractor had neglected to disburse properly and had transferred all loan funds to the contractor at 30% completion after which the contractor then left the scene 70% unfinished
so, we had to nearly double the amount previously approved on that home so the remaining work could be done by another contractor
yea, the guy about came unglued. fortunately, his wife became licensed in psychiatry by then, so she could help his stress levels by being in a position to (barely) afford the total accumulated debt on the three properties
the last time i spoke to him, they were preparing to move to charleston, sc:
According to the US Geological Survey’s earthquake prediction model, Charleston is ground zero for a potential disaster with damage comparable to what’s caused by shaking in California.

The study says there’s a higher risk for damage because more people live and work in these areas, and better methods have allowed experts to refine their earthquake hazard predictions.

The possibility of Charleston seeing California-level damage from shaking in 100 years sits between 36 and 74 percent, just one bracket below the Golden State’s chances. ...
Report: SC’s Lowcountry, Charleston faces high risk of earthquake damage

charleston had been on my short list of possible retirement destinations until he told me that

lil abner storm cloud guy joe.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom