• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Katrina: Who was more responsible for the poor response?

Hurricane Katrina: Who was more responsible for the poor response?

• George W. Bush

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Barak Obama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • potatoE

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Simon W. Moon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Who do you think was more responsible for thepoor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W.Bush or Barack Obama?

I was expecting this poll to be a choice between Bush, then-governor Kathleen Blanco, and Ray Nagin. My response to that would have been "all of the above."

How can Obama be a choice here if he wasn't even the president then?

Poor poll choices.
Kathleen Blanco, and Ray Nagin both had responsibility for what went down.
Nagin, for poor preparation, and Blanco for her inability to make decisions.
I was in Baton Rouge the shortly after the storm, the National Guard was there
waiting to be asked to go in.

Who do you think was more responsible for thepoor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W.Bush or Barack Obama?

Are you really this desperate to bash Bush and victimize Obama? You people act like Katrina only hit New Orleans.

The Mayor and Governor.

They delayed letting FEMA in until it was too late. The Mayor made things worse via total incompetence in preparation.

Since Barack Obama has magical powers to solve problems that he withholds from us because its more fun to watch us squirm . . probably Obama.

Are you really this desperate to bash Bush and victimize Obama? You people act like Katrina only hit New Orleans.
bash and victimize? It's all good fun and jokes for an Arkansan.*

You know who else besides you has no sense of humor? Liberals.

Oh wait, I see you're from LA. No wonder your hackles came up. No offense. Nothing personal. Just ribbin' vous. Jus' jokes. Zat's all.

Google search: louisiana katrina obama bush

*Prob'ly Texans and Mississippians too I s'pose.

yes
I wonder what it would take to sway the undecided in that poll.

Polls show Louisianians disappointed with Jindal, blame Obama for post-Katrina response | NOLA.com

In answer to the question, "Who do you think was more responsible for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W. Bush or Barack Obama?," 29 percent of a pool of Republican primary voters in Louisiana blamed Obama, who took office in 2009, and 28 percent blamed Bush, whose term lasted through 2008. Hurricane Katrina hit on Aug. 29, 2005.

WOW. That's not helping the reputation that Republicans have no problem blaming Democrats for things before their time. Democrat may come up with plenty of frivolous claims about the GOP, but at least they kept them time relevant.

What interested me was the plurality who weren't sure.

44% weren't sure.
They couldn't make up their mind if Bush or Obama bore more responsibility for the response to Katrina.
There was some question there in their minds about the matter.

I blame the ubiquity of the drive-through frozen booze shacks.

PPP Louisiana poll, August 2013

What interested me was the plurality who weren't sure.

We should ask the same people who put the first satellite in space, the US or the USSR and see what they say. I'd like to get a basic benchmark of their capacity to know simple historical facts. Or which President came earlier in our history: Madison or Eisenhower. If there's still a huge "unsure" is says something is very wrong with the state. 82% reporting as "Conservative" (whatever that means).

They couldn't make up their mind if Bush or Obama bore more responsibility for the response to Katrina.
There was some question there in their minds about the matter.

I blame the ubiquity of the drive-through frozen booze shacks.

Wait what? Frozen Booze Shacks? Now I'm interested. Is that like a slushy with booze?

The only person really responsible for that colossal failure was Mayor Nagan. It was his responsibility as mayor to properly inform and evacuate his citizens, and he ****ed up big time, making his problem everyone else's problem. With such short notice, wtf did people expect? That the federal government would be magically prepared for such a huge mess to be dumped on their lap?

Surprised to see less Conservatives blaming Obama, because you know, everything that has happened since 2000 IS all Obama's fault.

Surprised to see less Conservatives blaming Obama, because you know, everything that has happened since 2000 IS all Obama's fault.

Everything bad that has happened since Adam and Eve were evicted from the Garden of Eden is either Clinton or Obama's fault. And even then, the fall of man might be too. Clearly, you need to get with the program. :)

.....a stupid poll based on an equally stupid poll.

the whole moral to this stupid story is .... people are easily tricked .. and they hold political biases

groundbreaking stuff.

the real answer is ... Mayor Nagin... he's an utter buffoon who got people killed with his incredible incompetence..... then the governor takes the next place in line on the shame list..

there's a ton of decent folk in between " it's all Bush's fault" and " it's all Obama's fault"....

on a positive note...the ignorant fringes who keep those narratives going will die someday,

Everything bad that has happened since Adam and Eve were evicted from the Garden of Eden is either Clinton or Obama's fault. And even then, the fall of man might be too. Clearly, you need to get with the program. :)

You're right, I was being too near-sighted! But don't forget if you mention the successes of the Clinton Administration it was ALL because of the .com boom ;)

there's a ton of decent folk in between " it's all Bush's fault" and " it's all Obama's fault"....

on a positive note...the ignorant fringes who keep those narratives going will die someday,

in a less positive note there will always be people to replace them on both sides of the isle unfortunately.

Wait what? Frozen Booze Shacks? Now I'm interested. Is that like a slushy with booze?
Yeah. Daquiris, margaritas, w/e you name it. In LA you can get those in togo cups at a drive through.
It is one of the state's redeeming qualities.
They put a piece of scotch tape on the lid and the cup and that makes it a sealed container--as I heard it anyway. No one seals the straw ends though.

73% of respondents said that the poor response to Katrina could have been more Obama's responsibility than Bush's. That's a super majority of 'zianans--not exactly a "fringe".

Yeah. Daquiris, margaritas, w/e you name it. In LA you can get those in togo cups at a drive through.
It is one of the state's redeeming qualities.
They put a piece of scotch tape on the lid and the cup and that makes it a sealed container--as I heard it anyway. No one seals the straw ends though.

Might be time to move to Louisiana....

Back
Top Bottom