• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hurricane Katrina exposes serious weaknesses (under equipped) in protecting America

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Think we're safer from terrorists attacks because we took the fight to them instead of the other way around? Well, we could be wrong, dead wrong and it seems hurricane Katrina has exposed our weakness in our ability to protect our own American soil.

Iraq is proving to possibly become a huge drain on our ability to fight two wars at one time if such a major attck by terrorists ever were launched. Thus, President Bush has indeed put America in harms way, not only in Iraq, but alas, here in our own back yard. President Bush has demorilized, depleated, and dangerously spread thin our fighting-forces.

What hath ye wrought President Bush?

Guard relief hurt by obsolete equipment

WASHINGTON — Hurricane Katrina exposed serious weaknesses in the National Guard's communications systems, particularly a shortage of high-tech radios and satellite communications gear, the Guard's top general said Monday.

If it's going to protect the USA while also fighting overseas, the Guard needs better equipment, Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, head of the National Guard Bureau, said in an interview with USA TODAY.

"We were underequipped," Blum said. "We don't need tanks and attack helicopters and artillery, but we must have state-of-the-art radios and communications."

Much of the Guard's best communications equipment was being used by troops fighting in Iraq and wasn't available for units helping Gulf Coast states recover from the hurricane, Blum said.

Many Guard military police in New Orleans were patrolling with obsolete radios as they sought to restore order, he said. That, combined with a crippled civilian communications network, made it harder for them to communicate. Many also lacked night-vision goggles.

After Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, about 50,000 Guard troops were sent to states battered by the storm, the largest such domestic response in its history, said Blum, who oversees Army and Air National Guard units in all 50 states.

The active-duty Army, which helps equip the Guard, recognizes the deficiencies, said Blum, who has met with Pentagon officials to find more money for new equipment. "The leadership of the Army is committed to addressing the problem," he said.

Last week, Sens. Kit Bond, R-Mo., and Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., wrote President Bush asking for $1.3 billion to buy new equipment for the Guard.

Long-standing shortages and the stress of fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have left the Guard with "a perilously low level of equipment available for natural disasters," the senators wrote.

Only 34% of the Guard's equipment is available for use in the USA, the letter said, with the worst shortages in trucks, night-vision goggles, engineering equipment and communications gear. The Guard has historically used hand-me-down equipment from the active-duty military. For example, the Army Guard is using Vietnam-era radios while it needs 37,000 newer radios, according to a recent Guard budget briefing paper posted on its website.

Two wars and a recruiting shortfall have taxed the 350,000-member Army National Guard this year. At one point, about 40% of the 140,000 U.S. troops in Iraq were from the Guard or Reserve.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-19-guards-equiptment_x.htm

Last edited:
"...hurricane Katrina has exposed our weakness in our ability to protect our own American soil."

Huh? When a hurricane approaches the coast -- GET OUT OF THE WAY. There is no defense against the fury of mother nature.

I suppose you think the government should protect us from tornadoes, lightning, and volcanoes, too?
You don't know much, do you? It shows.

mwi said:
"...hurricane Katrina has exposed our weakness in our ability to protect our own American soil."

Huh? When a hurricane approaches the coast -- GET OUT OF THE WAY. There is no defense against the fury of mother nature.

I suppose you think the government should protect us from tornadoes, lightning, and volcanoes, too?
You don't know much, do you? It shows.

The significant problem isn't the people who didn't/couldn't evacuate, it's the property damage. Soil can't get out of the way. How much do you know?

Soil??!!! LOL!!!!

mwi said:
Soil??!!! LOL!!!!

It's not my fault that you're missing the point. The article is stating that the national guard is under-equipped using antiquated technology because all of our resources are tied up in a rediculous pursuit over seas. We didn't provide adequate relief because we're spending billions on Iraq when we should be taking care of our own soil (i'll use the word again because it obviously doesn't take much to amuse you).

I agree that the local goverments should have done a better job of evacuating people. Galviston is a model of how things should work. But that's not what the article is stating. Just put those comprehension skills to work a little harder and I'm sure that you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Terrorist and hurricanes seem to have a way of knowing when we have a weak president!
The 911 terrorists delivered the biggest blow ever on American soil!
We have had some of the most destructive hurricanes in our history since 2001!

When a category 4 hurricane storm hits an area, it destroys a lot of property -- including roads. Also, when that same area is consequently flooded by levees failing, how in the !@#$% are you going to get in and help anyone? Only way is by helicopter, which is what the rescuers were doing from day one.

We are providing adequate -- actually, more than adequate -- relief to New Orleans. New Orleans government idiots knew their levees would not withstand the damage a cat 3+ storm would cause to their city. That is the real crime in all of this -- state and local government did NOTHING to strengthen/update/replace their antiquated levee system.

"The significant problem isn't the people who didn't/couldn't evacuate, it's the property damage. Soil can't get out of the way. How much do you know?"

Hmmmm, let's see, how can I move the coastline out of the way of an approaching hurricane? Yep, you're 'right,' I have no idea how to pull that off.

"We didn't provide adequate relief because we're spending billions on Iraq when we should be taking care of our own soil."

Ok. How in the hell are you going to prevent a hurricane from making landfall anywhere? Hurry up, the people in Texas are anxiously awaiting your reply and solution. Rita is projected to strike tomorrow evening/Saturday morning -- quick, call the governor of Texas with your solution.

Ok so then why is president Bush now apologizing? Jesus friggin christ get a clue people. he ****ed up. HE appointed an idiot FEMA guy that had no idea what he was doing and we paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom