• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hunger Games 2

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You live in a small town, a Midwestern version of Mayberry, or maybe a quiet suberb just outside the city. Nice town, well kept, folks get along and help out. Friendly folks, friendly cops, and most everybody supports the police.

111.jpg

There's a younger guy, a long-time resident, about 24 years old, who frequently takes walks around town. He's clean cut, jeans and t-shirt, smiles and waves at folks, and occasionally picks up trash into a bag as he walks around....with an AK on his back.

Openly carrying any firearm is perfectly legal in this town.

As this young man waves at neighbors, they do not wave back. They call the cops. A lot. The cops have to respond, and they have advised him that in no way is he helping his cause. Folks are freaking out.

The problem is that he is staring to influence folks who have no dog in the fight. Those who don't care one way or the other about guns are starting to care. They are afraid, and that's usually when detrimental things get started.

On one hand, he is doing nothing illegal, and you can tell by the way he carries it that he's putting on a show. So no harm done, but it's making gun owners in general look bad, at a time when we need more than ever to look good.

As a resident of this town, what, if anything, do you do?

Last edited:
Ask him why he feels the need to display his weapon. Then point out you are an avid supporter of the second. Then tell him you wish for him to conduct an experiment am carry something that isn't an Ak. Like a handgun. If you get him to downsize and get less calls...he may like not getting harassed as much...and the fact that he can use it as part of his argument that people are ony afraid of a scary gun.

I carry concealed. I'm sitting at home (well a relative's home) with it on because I just waked in and I don't want to lock it up yet because I'm leaving in an hour. I have no problem with carry. But I understand the dilemma. I know someone who got the cops called for carrying a handgun openly in his hand on the roadside. Then for discharging. Both accounts were to dispatch a poisonous snake while he was mending fences.

You live in a small town, a Midwestern version of Mayberry, or maybe a quiet suberb just outside the city. Nice town, well kept, folks get along and help out. Friendly folks, friendly cops, and most everybody supports the police.

View attachment 67151357

There's a younger guy, a long-time resident, about 24 years old, who frequently takes walks around town. He's clean cut, jeans and t-shirt, smiles and waves at folks, and occasionally picks up trash into a bag as he walks around....with an AK on his back.

Openly carrying any firearm is perfectly legal in this town.

As this young man waves at neighbors, they do not wave back. They call the cops. A lot. The cops have to respond, and they have advised him that in no way is he helping his cause. Folks are freaking out.

The problem is that he is staring to influence folks who have no dog in the fight. Those who don't care one way or the other about guns are starting to care. They are afraid, and that's usually when detrimental things get started.

On one hand, he is doing nothing illegal, and you can tell by the way he carries it that he's putting on a show. So no harm done, but it's making gun owners in general look bad, at a time when we need more than ever to look good.

As a resident of this town, what, if anything, do you do?

I'd have a private word with him... private, so he doesn't feel he has to play to the crowd or back his ego so much. Something along the lines of "Look bud... I know you mean well, but I don't think folks around here are quite ready for THAT MUCH open carry, and I'm worried you're going to mess up the good thing we've got if you scare too many people."

Maybe I'd try to encourage him to just carry a holstered pistol and see if that reduced the "freak out factor".

I'd also, in as much as I can, talk to the folks in town about the matter. I'd let them air their concerns to me as I lend a sympathetic-seeming ear, then try to persuade them that a local guy, known to be a good person, is not the threat they need to worry about even if he is carrying an AK in the open... but rather, it is people of ill intent with hidden weapons that they really ought to be more concerned about.

In short I'd try to smooth ruffled feathers and de-escalate the situation.

I support open carry as a general thing, but I also don't think freaking out the neighborhood is the right way to promote it. It's something we'll have to work up to gradually, in most places.

Give him a print out of the towns' "how to" get a CCW permit along with a $20 off coupon at the local gun shop on all 1911's.

I wouldnt do anything.
You going to stop every hunter getting out of their truck at the trail heads to hide their rifles so the city folk or the malcontents dont get their panties in a bunch.

I wouldn't say anything anything to him. He isn't bothering me any. OK, I might say "thanks" for picking up the trash.

1-'Mayberry' was modeled after Mount Airy...and today Mount Airy is a complete and total ****hole. Huge unemployment, gang, teen pregnancy, and hillbilly heroin problem. So....I see someone walking around town with an AK Im thinkin, "Morning Pastor Dave...nice day for a stroll!"

2-Now...that aside...

In most other towns if I know the guy, I probably mention to him on a fishing trip "Look dood...I know its your RIGHT and all...and by all means man...feel free...but seriously...other than just making you look like a dick you are hurting all responsible gun owners. Just...food for thought."

I'd have a private word with him... private, so he doesn't feel he has to play to the crowd or back his ego so much. Something along the lines of "Look bud... I know you mean well, but I don't think folks around here are quite ready for THAT MUCH open carry, and I'm worried you're going to mess up the good thing we've got if you scare too many people."

Maybe I'd try to encourage him to just carry a holstered pistol and see if that reduced the "freak out factor".

I'd also, in as much as I can, talk to the folks in town about the matter. I'd let them air their concerns to me as I lend a sympathetic-seeming ear, then try to persuade them that a local guy, known to be a good person, is not the threat they need to worry about even if he is carrying an AK in the open... but rather, it is people of ill intent with hidden weapons that they really ought to be more concerned about.

In short I'd try to smooth ruffled feathers and de-escalate the situation.

I support open carry as a general thing, but I also don't think freaking out the neighborhood is the right way to promote it. It's something we'll have to work up to gradually, in most places.

Not to change what you're saying, but you could also point out to them, that the same fear they feel is probably being felt by anyone with criminal intent, that sees him. So though an AK slung over the back might be overkill, he may indirectly be scaring off perps with it.

Start a petition to legalize marijuana.

1-'Mayberry' was modeled after Mount Airy...and today Mount Airy is a complete and total ****hole. Huge unemployment, gang, teen pregnancy, and hillbilly heroin problem. So....I see someone walking around town with an AK Im thinkin, "Morning Pastor Dave...nice day for a stroll!"

2-Now...that aside...

In most other towns if I know the guy, I probably mention to him on a fishing trip "Look dood...I know its your RIGHT and all...and by all means man...feel free...but seriously...other than just making you look like a dick you are hurting all responsible gun owners. Just...food for thought."
How is he being irresponsible? IF open carry is legal, he is abiding by the law and exercising his 2A right.

How is he being irresponsible? IF open carry is legal, he is abiding by the law and exercising his 2A right.

See? There you go again...giving many of the rest of us a bad name.

His intent is to piss people off. It is to show by golly...I have a RIGHT and Ima DO it! He doesnt care about the negative impact, nor does he care that aside from being a complete ****, it is having absolutely ZERO positive impact. It is creating enemies where enemies did not otherwise exist. That is being 'irresponsible'.

See? There you go again...giving many of the rest of us a bad name.

I dont mind having a "bad name" with those wishing or willing to restrict gun rights from law abiding people.
That said, I own an AK. And I dont think you would ever catch me walking around with it on a sling. But, if I did. I would expect to get stopped and faced down on the side walk every time.
Our area is not very rural any more.

His intent is to piss people off. It is to show by golly...I have a RIGHT and Ima DO it! He doesnt care about the negative impact, nor does he care that aside from being a complete ****, it is having absolutely ZERO positive impact. It is creating enemies where enemies did not otherwise exist. That is being 'irresponsible'.

I disagree. Anti gunners are anti gunners period.

I dont mind having a "bad name" with those wishing or willing to restrict gun rights from law abiding people.
That said, I own an AK. And I dont think you would ever catch me walking around with it on a sling. But, if I did. I would expect to get stopped and faced down on the side walk every time.
Our area is not very rural any more.

Then why, if you are a responsible gun owner, don't you expect others to act in responsible ways as well? Your saying "I don't think you would ever catch me...." indicates to me that you don't think it's a particularly sensible thing to do. *shrug*

Then why, if you are a responsible gun owner, don't you expect others to act in responsible ways as well? Your saying "I don't think you would ever catch me...." indicates to me that you don't think it's a particularly sensible thing to do. *shrug*
It isnt sensible thing to do, unless you live in a combat zone. But yours, mine and the fictional OPs person may have totally different sensibilities.
I personally am not lugging around a battle rifle all day. I dont really "like" carrying a hand gun. I really didnt like having a heavy .357 mag on my hip while working. After a couple years it really messes with your back.
But if the man is within his rights, and within the confines of the laws. There is nothing that can be done about it.
Its not about other peoples "feelings".

Lets put it in this context.
I am straight, but if I see two guys kissing. I am disgusted by it. BUT, its legal. They have a "right". They know it pisses off alot of straight people, but its their right.
But all they are doing is entrenching the straights that are disgusted about it to futher dislike not only what they are doing, but them as people as well.
Either we accept all people that are exersizing their rights, or we accept none of them.

Lets put it in this context.
I am straight, but if I see two guys kissing. I am disgusted by it. BUT, its legal. They have a "right". They know it pisses off alot of straight people, but its their right.
But all they are doing is entrenching the straights that are disgusted about it to futher dislike not only what they are doing, but them as people as well.
Either we accept all people that are exersizing their rights, or we accept none of them.

Try putting it in an 'honest' context. If you are gay and you and you buddy go stand in front of a bunch of people in your assless chaps and violently make out and grab each others shot specifically to piss people off and show you 'can', you are a douchebag.

Try putting it in an 'honest' context. If you are gay and you and you buddy go stand in front of a bunch of people in your assless chaps and violently make out and grab each others shot specifically to piss people off and show you 'can', you are a douchebag.
But you are within your rights. And if its legal where you live, you can do it and there is not soul that can legally say a word about it.
Just like if its legal to carry a gun, its legal to carry a gun.

But you are within your rights. And if its legal where you live, you can do it and there is not soul that can legally say a word about it.
Just like if its legal to carry a gun, its legal to carry a gun.

Sure...u can do it. It doesn't make you any less of an irresponsible douchebag...but legally...you sure can do it.

Sure...u can do it. It doesn't make you any less of an irresponsible douchebag...but legally...you sure can do it.
Calling me a douchebag by proxy is not really doing anything for the conversation.
But since thats your stance, how is it irresponsible?

Calling me a douchebag by proxy is not really doing anything for the conversation.
But since thats your stance, how is it irresponsible?

I'm not calling you a douchebag. I'm calling your proposed individual a douchebag. No...actually I'm calling them an irresponsible douchebag. You own it...maybe you should reconsider the whole assless chaps look.

Why is it 'irresponsible'? That you actually have to ask the question is mind numbing but speaks volumes. The act of doing something specifically to elicit a negative response and build enemies where enemies didnt exist is foolish and irresponsible. So...I guess to appease you I shouldn't call your sampled individuals douchebags or even irresponsible douchebags. More correctly it should be foolish irresponsible douchebags.

I'm not calling you a douchebag. I'm calling your proposed individual a douchebag. No...actually I'm calling them an irresponsible douchebag. You own it...maybe you should reconsider the whole assless chaps look.

Why is it 'irresponsible'? That you actually have to ask the question is mind numbing but speaks volumes. The act of doing something specifically to elicit a negative response and build enemies where enemies didnt exist is foolish and irresponsible. So...I guess to appease you I shouldn't call your sampled individuals douchebags or even irresponsible douchebags. More correctly it should be foolish irresponsible douchebags.
Slow your roll, dude. I just asked a simple question.
Why so touchy.
If its legal, why have a problem with it?
And ass less chaps I would call illegal here, just like thong or tee back bikinis on the beach.
Which I really dont understand, but the old people were offended and that was the end of that.
Or is because I dragged the "gay" right into it to compare to my Constitutional Right?
Again, if its legal whats the issue?
Now I call any open carry ill advised, but its legal.

Slow your roll, dude. I just asked a simple question.
Why so touchy.
If its legal, why have a problem with it?
And ass less chaps I would call illegal here, just like thong or tee back bikinis on the beach.
Which I really dont understand, but the old people were offended and that was the end of that.
Or is because I dragged the "gay" right into it to compare to my Constitutional Right?
Again, if its legal whats the issue?
Now I call any open carry ill advised, but its legal.

Geeeeeee zus.

Read your last sentence, compare that last sentence to my original comment in this thread and then remind me why we are having this conversation.

Geeeeeee zus.

Read your last sentence, compare that last sentence to my original comment in this thread and then remind me why we are having this conversation.
Well when you call people that are engaged in a legal and protected activity "douchebags". It kind of makes me wonder.
Are people douchebags if they are concealed carrying and their jacket flys up in the wind? Or if I open my suit and someone sees my holstered gun?

Back
Top Bottom