• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hunger Games 2

It isnt sensible thing to do, unless you live in a combat zone. But yours, mine and the fictional OPs person may have totally different sensibilities.
I personally am not lugging around a battle rifle all day. I dont really "like" carrying a hand gun. I really didnt like having a heavy .357 mag on my hip while working. After a couple years it really messes with your back.
But if the man is within his rights, and within the confines of the laws. There is nothing that can be done about it.
Its not about other peoples "feelings".

Yea, it actually is.

There are many folks who are not gun people, but don't care one way or the other.

Shoving it down their throats by openly carrying a large rifle that is unneeded serves no positive purpose, period.

It makes no sense to alienate a potential group of supporters by just being a dick who is obstinately exercising his 2A rights.

Intelligent people pick and choose their battles, as should gun folks.

Laying back and plating it cool will garner more respect from most folks.

I intentionally don't shove 2A rights down anyone's throat, and I don't respect people who do.

I have had excellent conversations with neutral people who understand what I have explained.

Geeeeeee zus.

Read your last sentence, compare that last sentence to my original comment in this thread and then remind me why we are having this conversation.

Maybe because he is just looking for a fight?

Well when you call people that are engaged in a legal and protected activity "douchebags". It kind of makes me wonder.
Are people douchebags if they are concealed carrying and their jacket flys up in the wind? Or if I open my suit and someone sees my holstered gun?

And now when it is revealed that your position really is no different than the one I originally offered, you go in get another inane direction.

Yea, it actually is.

There are many folks who are not gun people, but don't care one way or the other.

Shoving it down their throats by openly carrying a large rifle that is unneeded serves no positive purpose, period.

It makes no sense to alienate a potential group of supporters by just being a dick who is obstinately exercising his 2A rights.

Intelligent people pick and choose their battles, as should gun folks.

Laying back and plating it cool will garner more respect from most folks.

I intentionally don't shove 2A rights down anyone's throat, and I don't respect people who do.

I have had excellent conversations with neutral people who understand what I have explained.
I told you my feelings on two men kissing. Disgusting, makes me want to throw up. Makes me want to go and tell them to stop.
But, alas. I cant, its legal. They have "rights". Just like the guy in the OP.
Two men kissing can be ill advised to, depending on where they do it.
And how is a man wearing a gun "shoving his rights" down your throat?
You can ignore him. You can go ask him whats up with that. But you cant deprive or interfere with his rights.

You live in a small town, a Midwestern version of Mayberry, or maybe a quiet suberb just outside the city. Nice town, well kept, folks get along and help out. Friendly folks, friendly cops, and most everybody supports the police.

View attachment 67151357

There's a younger guy, a long-time resident, about 24 years old, who frequently takes walks around town. He's clean cut, jeans and t-shirt, smiles and waves at folks, and occasionally picks up trash into a bag as he walks around....with an AK on his back.

Openly carrying any firearm is perfectly legal in this town.

As this young man waves at neighbors, they do not wave back. They call the cops. A lot. The cops have to respond, and they have advised him that in no way is he helping his cause. Folks are freaking out.

The problem is that he is staring to influence folks who have no dog in the fight. Those who don't care one way or the other about guns are starting to care. They are afraid, and that's usually when detrimental things get started.

On one hand, he is doing nothing illegal, and you can tell by the way he carries it that he's putting on a show. So no harm done, but it's making gun owners in general look bad, at a time when we need more than ever to look good.

As a resident of this town, what, if anything, do you do?

I support the guy and never call the cops on him. :shrug: But then I'm not easily scared. I tell everyone else to grow thicker skin.

Try putting it in an 'honest' context. If you are gay and you and you buddy go stand in front of a bunch of people in your assless chaps and violently make out and grab each others shot specifically to piss people off and show you 'can', you are a douchebag.

Actually he did have an honest context. His example is not illegal while standing in public with assless chaps is illegal.

You live in a small town, a Midwestern version of Mayberry, or maybe a quiet suberb just outside the city. Nice town, well kept, folks get along and help out. Friendly folks, friendly cops, and most everybody supports the police.

View attachment 67151357

There's a younger guy, a long-time resident, about 24 years old, who frequently takes walks around town. He's clean cut, jeans and t-shirt, smiles and waves at folks, and occasionally picks up trash into a bag as he walks around....with an AK on his back.

As this young man waves at neighbors, they do not wave back. They call the cops. A lot. The cops have to respond, and they have advised him that in no way is he helping his cause. Folks are freaking out.

The problem is that he is staring to influence folks who have no dog in the fight. Those who don't care one way or the other about guns are starting to care. They are afraid, and that's usually when detrimental things get started.

On one hand, he is doing nothing illegal, and you can tell by the way he carries it that he's putting on a show. So no harm done, but it's making gun owners in general look bad, at a time when we need more than ever to look good.

Nothing. He's not hurting anything, so I really don't care. If he was a friend or acquaintenancea of mine I'd tell him he's doing more harm to his cause than good though.

View attachment 67151357

I have some experience in this as I practice open carry. I mostly carry openly in rural areas near my home, not so much the city areas away. The only time I carry in the city really is when I am making an errand directly from the field. The reason being the city police don't like that I carry openly and look to hassle me. Not so with the county sheriff in the sticks.

Now I carry one of three different pistols when I carry openly. A Kimber Model 1911 full size in a nylon combat rig. A .50 caliber cap and ball revolver pistol based on the Remington 1858 in a leather thigh rig. Or a pair of 3shot cap and ball .68 cal dueling pistol also in a leather thigh rig. I prefer the thigh rig because I can sit in a chair comfortably. I aint a very fast draw so rig setup isn't that import, as comfort is. I mostly wear the Remington 1858. My observations of people when I carry you might find interesting. People either a ignored the 1911 and assume I am police, or go ape**** and think I am a lunatic out to shoot up the town. The other reason I don't wear it and by law now I cant is because its a cartridge firearm. Before the new law I could carry openly but my firearm had to be unloaded. Which means to use the weapon I had to draw it load it rack it and then aim it and fire it. Doable but not too practical. So I hardly every wore it except to various shooting matches and gun ranges or when I had major vermin problems. Wild dogs can get pretty populous out here. When I carry the Remington 1858 the reactions were more "Are you a cowboy? Are they filming around here?" The added plus was after a couple of dozen times hassling me, the police in town left me alone. My Remington is a pretty heavy pistol, heavier than my full framed 1911, the reason I carried it most was I could claim it as antique and carry it lawfully loaded as it uses a cap and ball, which for those of you unfamiliar, means that the powder the bullet and the primer cap are all loaded separately into the chamber. It gets heavy on the hip after awhile so I don't wear it so much around the place. But if I want to wear irons in to town they are my go to's. Lastly is my dueling pistols which I only wear on special occasion. The most common comment is " What are those?" Which gives me a chance to show them off. I had a very good gunsmith/ artist do the filigree and engraving artwork on them, that and they don't look anything like a modern pistol. Most people who see them don't believe they shoot and are just for show.

Most people for whatever reason seem the most nervous around the 1911, and least around the dueling pistols. At least that's my observation. As to why I think might be the sheer utilitarianism of the 1911 vs. the other two. I am not quite sure. I do know that people quickly get used to the idea of people carrying openly for the most part. Especially if they KNOW the people who are carrying. Personal interaction seems to ease a persons fears toward the weapons carrier.

View attachment 67151357

I'd want to take a look at it. Invite him over, show off my SKS, and see about going to the range some time to compare notes.

Back
Top Bottom