• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hungary is a member of NATO but it's leader, Orban seems to be involved in a love affair with Putin

Shrink726

The tolerant left? I'm the intolerant left.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So what happens if Putin touches any other NATO country?

I think it's fair to say that Article 5 won't be worth the paper it's printed on.

Maybe it's time to remove Hungary from NATO.

I think it's fair to say that Article 5 won't be worth the paper it's printed on.

That is a very difficult question to answer. Hungary was the first country in Europe to recognize Ukraine. Orban was not the President of Hungary at the time. Hungary has some issues regarding the rights of ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine. I hasten to point out AGAIN that the biggest problem Europe has had throughout history is too many land borders between too many countries all of them trying to support too many people. One consequence is the number of dangerous wars of conquest fought over land and resources in Europe and the ease with which they can lead to larger conflicts, WW1 being the best example.

Another consequence is the shuffling of territory between countries on a regular basis. If you really looked at the maps of Europe over history you would become quite alarmed in short order with ethnic this and ethnic that often caught on the other side of a new border regularly. It is a common feature throughout European history and is extremely problematic.

Comparatively speaking, North, South and Central America are resource rich as a region and feature fewer land borders between countries jostling for resources. If you look at the United States in particularly we were always more resource rich than all of of Europe combined! We maintain friendly relations with the only two countries for which we have land borders.

Europe in fact is STILL the most problematic region in the world, never far from a conflict either military or political that can trip the entire world into a major conflagration. The Middle East is not the most problematic region in the world. We in fact have for the most part made our own problems in the Middle East. We have bungled the ME so badly that we hardly have a single friend in the region any longer......when the world's largest consumer of fossil fuels no longer has a single reliable friend in the ME, "HOUSTON.....WE HAVE A PROBLEM"

Back to Europe and NATO, what happens if France turns to Le Pen for example? Macron has if anything lost ground in France and that election is right around the corner.

So I would not be quick to drop Hungary out of NATO just yet. I would also ask Victor Orban to recognize that Ukraine has not had much opportunity to address his issues with treatment of ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine to this point. Ukraine has never in fact been able to get Russia off its neck and that is actually Task 1 for Ukraine. In addition while it might look like Hungary is running a straddle, ask them to truly come under the Russian boot AGAIN and I doubt you would find much of a following.

The EU are already moving down the expulsion route, Reminding Orban that they are falling short of the membership requirements.

Back
Top Bottom