• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hundreds of migrant children remain separated

What makes you think you're more "experienced" than I am? I worked for a food service co. and delivered to a host of immigrant owned restaurants in DC, Phila, Manhattan, and a number of other large Eastern cities. And yes, I know where I live!
LOL Dude, you are the one that started this stupid, ''who has more experience in America" bullshit!! LOL
I believe there are a number of immigrants who will become productive Americans, they are the ones who want to go through the LEGAL channels to become American citizens. Many immigrants that own restaurant franchises are productive American citizens. Problem is, some hire illegals, and those illegals (and some legals) can't even speak English. I know, I have seen it.
I have known lots of illegal immigrants and as far as I could tell they were all productive members of society... they went to school, they worked, they had kids, they paid taxes...

You make it sound like your experience is driving around "real Americans" who have to keep an eye on these dirty illegal scammers trying to live off America and **** us over as they do nothing but... what? I don't even know.

LOL Dude, you are the one that started this stupid, ''who has more experience in America" bullshit!! LOL
I have known lots of illegal immigrants and as far as I could tell they were all productive members of society... they went to school, they worked, they had kids, they paid taxes...

You make it sound like your experience is driving around "real Americans" who have to keep an eye on these dirty illegal scammers trying to live off America and **** us over as they do nothing but... what? I don't even know.
Nope. you claimed you did. But whatever....

Looks to me like you're running from what you claimed in the first place, that you have more experience
in MY country than I do when I've lived here all my 60 years of life. You don't, and never will. Period.

The problem I have with this is that the rigors and limitations on the LEGAL path to citizenship are so unrealistically prohibitive as to be almost nonexistent. Some people from India, for example, are on a 150+ year waiting list.

150-Year Wait for Indian Immigrants With Advanced Degrees | Cato Institute

The LEGAL path to US citizenship is BROKEN.
We need to fix the law, not confuse it even more. The problem is that we have politicians in Washington who are more worried about which party is going to win whatever package they are trying to pass, than what is best for the country. We shouldn't have political parties, are we not all Americans? I also believe we shouldn't have professional politicians. But hey, it's the Politicians who make the laws, we just keep voting in the same idiots over and over again. Almost 50% of the politicians in office now, admit that they are millioniares, most have over doubled their net worth while in office. Think about that.

We need to fix the law, not confuse it even more. The problem is that we have politicians in Washington who are more worried about which party is going to win whatever package they are trying to pass, than what is best for the country. We shouldn't have political parties, are we not all Americans? I also believe we shouldn't have professional politicians. But hey, it's the Politicians who make the laws, we just keep voting in the same idiots over and over again. Almost 50% of the politicians in office now, admit that they are millioniares, most have over doubled their net worth while in office. Think about that.
We just need to enforce the laws already on the books. Reagan gave amnesty to millions of illegals in return for implementing immigration laws that haven't been enforced by either party since, and it's become a major problem in our largest cities.
Trump wasn't a "professional politician" and was elected mainly because Americans were sick of "professional" politicians. He would have breezed his way into another term if it wasn't for the China virus, and the last 4 years of hatred, misinformation and ridicule from Dems, especially including the left-leaning press.
I agree politicians on both sides have become "financially independent" (to say the least) since they took office.

Nope. you claimed you did. But whatever....

Looks to me like you're running from what you claimed in the first place, that you have more experience
in MY country than I do when
No. I said that you seemed to lack "World Experience".

YOU are the one that brought up experience in America... you said, "In MY country"
I've lived here all my 60 years of life. You don't, and never will. Period.
You might die tomorrow and I might move back to the States for another 35 years meaning I would have lived there 10 years longer than you...

But that is not even the point... who 'lives' in a place. It is who interacts with the people that we are discussing and I interacted with them professionally and through education for decades... and in immigrant saturated places like Santa Ana... You seem to not actually know any immigrants personally... meaning been to their houses, talked with them about their lives... you just see a threat. No idea why but your argument is weak and you have talked yourself silly and have not made a point at all.

Anything else or are we done by your failure to back up your assertion?

How many - exactly - of those kids were taken from human traffickers?

Does it really matter, I mean really?

They aren't supposed to be here, they are the problem of the countries they came from--- let those countries figure it out. America is not a lifeboat for the entire world, and even if it were supposed to be that, what makes Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, and Nicaragua so damn special?

No. I said that you seemed to lack "World Experience".

YOU are the one that brought up experience in America... you said, "In MY country"

You might die tomorrow and I might move back to the States for another 35 years meaning I would have lived there 10 years longer than you...

But that is not even the point... who 'lives' in a place. It is who interacts with the people that we are discussing and I interacted with them professionally and through education for decades... and in immigrant saturated places like Santa Ana... You seem to not actually know any immigrants personally... meaning been to their houses, talked with them about their lives... you just see a threat. No idea why but your argument is weak and you have talked yourself silly and have not made a point at all.

Anything else or are we done by your failure to back up your assertion?
Isn't this an American political forum?

Silliness...

Still more silliness...

Yes!! You are the master of "world experience," the same I said I didn't have.
But again, you cannot say you're more experienced in MY country than I am.
When I retired, I suggested to my company owner a younger Puerto Rican to
take over the machine shop I managed. He got the job.

Call me silly, or any other infantile name you wish, you ain't here in America, and I am.
I'd say we are done. I have little time to waste on foreigners telling me about my country.

Who knows? You have to assume every adult with a child is a trafficker unless proven otherwise though
Boy, that’s a humane notion in line with the Constitution. Wonder how it would have worked with Jews in the 1930s-40s. Hint: prove to us you aren’t a trafficker.

Does it really matter, I mean really?

They aren't supposed to be here, they are the problem of the countries they came from--- let those countries figure it out. America is not a lifeboat for the entire world, and even if it were supposed to be that, what makes Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, and Nicaragua so damn special?
What makes them (except Mexico) special is that we *made* them special by constantly interfering. We broke them, we own them. Except for Nicaragua, which tho we used to own, is not sending people.

Isn't this an American political forum?

Silliness...

Still more silliness...

Yes!! You are the master of "world experience," the same I said I didn't have.
But again, you cannot say you're more experienced in MY country than I am.
When I retired, I suggested to my company owner a younger Puerto Rican to
take over the machine shop I managed. He got the job.

Call me silly, or any other infantile name you wish, you ain't here in America, and I am.
I'd say we are done. I have little time to waste on foreigners telling me about my country.
Dude, I am an American. LOL I was born in Oregon.

Yep.

I guess some people never realized that we are not in the habit of allowing the children of either convicted criminals, or those accused defendants who are incarcerated waiting for trial, to have their children with them in jail. An environment where they will be at risk of being even further exploited.

If these children are orphaned or otherwise displaced, then what needs to happen is a multi national effort to send them back to other family in their nations of origin, or provide foster care. But that doesn't necessarily need to be soly on the backs of the American taxpayers. These children are in fact citizens of other nations; those nations need to step up and help solve their plight.

ZERO illegal immigrants who arrived here with their children and who were caught who could prove that the children were theirs, and who had no otherwise violent or drug related charges against them---and who agreed to return to their nation of origin, were ever prevented from doing so.

Excellent points, and they say it all.

What makes them (except Mexico) special is that we *made* them special by constantly interfering. We broke them, we own them. Except for Nicaragua, which tho we used to own, is not sending people.

Not buying it. Those places were broken before we ever got involved in any way.

We once "broke" Japan and Germany too. Why are they able to figure things out for themselves?

We are not a lifeboat.

Not buying it. Those places were broken before we ever got involved in any way.

We once "broke" Japan and Germany too. Why are they able to figure things out for themselves?

We are not a lifeboat.
Check out the aid we sent to Germany and Japan to rebuild.

Check out the huge NAFTA giveaways to Mexico, on top of bailing out their currency several times and USAID building their maquila infrastructure for them at taxpayers' expense. Same for several Central American countries.

Check out the huge NAFTA giveaways to Mexico, on top of bailing out their currency several times and USAID building their maquila infrastructure for them at taxpayers' expense. Same for several Central American countries.
How was NAFTA a giveaway, didn't Canada and the US benefit? Else they would t have signed up. As to aid, as I understood it some years ago, often it's money given to buy US products, with the joke being that the check never leaves Wahington. And they have to pay back the loans that make up aid. With interest. (This, of course, is aside from the generous grants the US often makes - as do other rich countries - when disaster strikes.)

The question now is how Mexico and the US should deal with mass migrations from parts of Central America. We know the causes: drug gangs and national disasters. We sort of know the solutions. But no, Trump preferred to demonize migrants ("there are Middle Easterners in the caravan") and use child separation as a tool to prevent migration, with catastrophic results for many families. Instead, Trump could have addressed the American people about what was happening, explained our legal obligations under law and treaty, and taken the steps some other countries around the world have done when faced with similar situations. Impossible for him. He preferred spreading fear and ignorance. Ditto with illegal immigrants. Fine or jail repeat offender employers, set up a national ID system, fewer illegals. He might also have note the huge number of equally illegal, but lighter-skinned, visa-overstayers, so as to give us a more complete picture of the phenomenon. Nah. Easier to attack Pedro the gardener than Hans the barista. And such fun to bring victims of illegals on stage, Goebbels style, to explain the pain Jews, er, illegals caused them, even tho immigrants of all kinds have lower crime rates than citizens. Make America Hate Again.

How was NAFTA a giveaway, didn't Canada and the US benefit? Else they would t have signed up. As to aid, as I understood it some years ago, often it's money given to buy US products, with the joke being that the check never leaves Wahington. And they have to pay back the loans that make up aid. With interest. (This, of course, is aside from the generous grants the US often makes - as do other rich countries - when disaster strikes.)

The question now is how Mexico and the US should deal with mass migrations from parts of Central America. We know the causes: drug gangs and national disasters. We sort of know the solutions. But no, Trump preferred to demonize migrants ("there are Middle Easterners in the caravan") and use child separation as a tool to prevent migration, with catastrophic results for many families. Instead, Trump could have addressed the American people about what was happening, explained our legal obligations under law and treaty, and taken the steps some other countries around the world have done when faced with similar situations. Impossible for him. He preferred spreading fear and ignorance. Ditto with illegal immigrants. Fine or jail repeat offender employers, set up a national ID system, fewer illegals. He might also have note the huge number of equally illegal, but lighter-skinned, visa-overstayers, so as to give us a more complete picture of the phenomenon. Nah. Easier to attack Pedro the gardener than Hans the barista. And such fun to bring victims of illegals on stage, Goebbels style, to explain the pain Jews, er, illegals caused them, even tho immigrants of all kinds have lower crime rates than citizens. Make America Hate Again.
Why are you still talking about Trump. This is now bumbles problem to fix.

Why are you still talking about Trump. This is now bumbles problem to fix.
Why talk about Trump? To learn from our mistakes about what not to do.

Yep, and the fact that they were Japanese and Germans and it was not Hondurs and Guatemala you don't think had a lot to do with success there?

Has Honduras and Guatemala ever produced anything other than those noise maker things you shake while dancing the salsa? You couldn't provide some of these places with the blueprints for a Model T Ford AND the materials, and expect them to be able to assemble them without the wheels attached to the roof. Face it, some places in the world are just a drain on the rest of the planet. How can we fix that? And then why should we be their lifeboat?

you mean like housing children in concentration camps?
I guess, though not what you seem to imply ominously. Camps where families could stay, accessible to legal and medical practitioners, where they could be adequately screened by ICE. Friends of mine and I visited one such place on the border about 15 months ago. It was an old electronics plant outfitted to house migrants. People were given preliminary asylum screenings by ICE, the Salvation Army provided cots, local church groups sent volunteers to cook special meals, and local artists painted murals on the walls. People were connected with sponsors elsewhere in the US who provided transportation. It embodied the spirit of our country with all its contradictions. Elderly volunteers (us) coming from a distance, local people chipping in to help, ICE notifying the staff how many new faces would arrive in the afternoon. While the president was spreading fear of these people, some of that same president's soldiers from a nearby military base came by to set up a chapel for them. And of course one was Anglo, one Latino, one Vietnamese. What a country!
But this is no different in some ways what has happened in other countries faced with mass migration: some political leaders stoking resentment and fear, while other people do what the better angels of our nature suggest. We could do much the same as what I saw set up with greater masses of migrants, and by doing so efficiently both provide the that law and treaty require and slow migration. But the temptation to demagoguery is strong in these circumstances.

Yep, and the fact that they were Japanese and Germans and it was not Hondurs and Guatemala you don't think had a lot to do with success there?

Has Honduras and Guatemala ever produced anything other than those noise maker things you shake while dancing the salsa? You couldn't provide some of these places with the blueprints for a Model T Ford AND the materials, and expect them to be able to assemble them without the wheels attached to the roof. Face it, some places in the world are just a drain on the rest of the planet. How can we fix that? And then why should we be their lifeboat?
I see you subscribe to the "shithole countries" theory. All lives apparently don't matter to you, despite your little MAGA fist. Next time you visit Guatemala and Honduras, check out the pyramids.

Back
Top Bottom