• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Humans make mistakes there are no exceptions

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]'Virgina'? Radford University's Diplomas Misspell 'Virginia'[/h]

By Suzan Clarke | ABC News Blogs – 1 hour 24 minutes ago

• ABC News/Courtesy Meghan McNeice -

Meghan McNeice graduated from Radford University in Virginia in May, and she was excited when she got her diploma in the mail on Saturday.
But the 21-year-old media studies major from Richmond, Va., soon heard chatter on Twitter that there was a spelling error on some graduates' diplomas, so she looked at hers again.
Sure enough, the freelance reporter's diploma had the word "Virginia" spelled incorrectly. In one of two instances of the word on the document, the final "i" is omitted, leaving the word spelled "Virgina."
McNeice missed the error the first time she looked at her diploma because, she said, "I was just looking at it as a graduate, I was excited. I wasn't, like, going through copy editing."
In fact, the university remained unaware of the error until Tuesday morning, when a graduate notified officials.
In total, 1,481 undergraduate and graduate diplomas from fall 2012 and spring 2013 were misspelled, according to Joe Carpenter, Radford's chief communications officer.
In a statement, Carpenter told ABCNews.com that the diplomas actually had two spelling errors on them. In addition to "Virginia" being misspelled "Virgina," the word "thereto" was spelled "therto."
"The error was caused when the commercial software system used to produce the diplomas within the university's registrar's office was upgraded in the fall of 2012. That software upgrade required that the diploma narrative be re-keyed into the program. It was during the re-keying process that the typographical errors were introduced into the template," he said.
"Radford University regrets any inconvenience this error may have caused our alumni and will be working to correct these errors in a timely manner," he added.
McNeice said the university promised her she'd have a corrected diploma within the next two weeks, and she planned to keep the misspelled one "for laughs."
She said the reaction among her Radford peers has ranged from disappointment in the university to amusement over the typos.
"I'm just glad that they're going to reprint them, because it does in a way look bad on the university and I would never hope that they get a reputation from this because they are fixing their mistake," she said.
She stressed that the error was in no way representative of the quality of the education she received at the institution.
"I think I got the best education ever. I wouldn't go to another school in Virginia for a journalism or communications degree," she said.

Well more than once I've been corrected for my spelling on this forum by more than one poster.
I make a mistake I will take responsibility for it , but as any poster can see I'm not the only one out here that misspells words once in awhile .

My point is simple just because I misspell a word does my pint become invalid.
For if this is true if the Radford university misspells a word does that mean their educational system is in question?:peace

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your comments or views on this subject

[.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/06/virgina-radford-universitys-diplomas-misspells-virginia/"]URL="http://abcnews
[/URL]

[h=3]ABC NEWS[/h]

[h=3]MOST POPULAR NEWS[/h]

That is pretty funny (but I am more amused by her choice of majors :doh)

Political correctness is becoming stronger, and political correctness usually has something to do with the media:peace

Political correctness is becoming stronger, and political correctness usually has something to do with the media:peace

Heya PS. :2wave: Yep.....Journalism or Communications Degree.

No exceptions?

Not to hear some people around here describe themselves. :roll:

Not this poster I've made my share of mistakes and took responsibility for them on the\is very forum.:peace

Heya PS. :2wave: Yep.....Journalism or Communications Degree.

Me I'm a wanna be writer of fiction everything from action , Sci Fy, to westerns.

I love to write it relaxes me.:peace

Me I'm a wanna be writer of fiction everything from action , Sci Fy, to westerns.

I love to write it relaxes me.:peace

That is awesome PS.....I use to write, as well as Create DM Modules. Now I just Write to Pols every now and then. :lol: Hope you have some success. ;)

That is awesome PS.....I use to write, as well as Create DM Modules. Now I just Write to Pols every now and then. :lol: Hope you have some success. ;)

3 books non published but I would write even if I knew my next book would be non published.

Some people escape through boos or drugs or a good time or other means , my escape is my imagination to get away from reality for awhile.:peace

Yes, we all make mistakes. Imo, the best we can hope for is to learn from those mistakes without letting it ruin our lives.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Imo, the best we can hope for is to learn from those mistakes without letting it ruin our lives.

To make mistakes is a given , in an imperfect world and an imperfect society mistakes are unavoidable .

To learn from mistakes is a choice if not the same mistake will be repeated maybe even worse.:peace

Back
Top Bottom