• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Humanizing the Ukranians

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We call them the 'stans'. The countries whose names we can't really remember who were created when the USSR dissolved. This-stan, that-stan. They're not all literally stans, like Ukraine.

But like with global news generally, it can be hard for people to humanize countries they know little about. It's just numbers. Which is harmful.

I would probably have more of that problem myself with Ukraine, but for several years ago finding a musical group. I'm not normally a fan of 'folk music', or 'ethnic music'. Just not my taste. Except this group.

I found their music amazing. They quickly became a group I consider of the most remarkable groups I know of. I will say, it's not quite exactly enjoyment of their music as much as favorite classic rock, but it is having a very high opinion of it and enjoying seeing how they find new fresh performances.

That was it, my one 'weird group' I'd tell people about. They performed at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts - they weren't unknown - and they performed on 'Tiny Concerts' at a bookstore on PBS and did tours across the world. They'd play at a 'blues picking' festival in the American south.

The group is enigmatic, one man and three women, in ethnic costumes that vary, with the most unusual headgear you've ever seen in a group, usually just on the women.

But then I saw them say something political - their only political aspect. And that something was that they stand for a free Ukraine. It's a passion for them. And it humanized Ukranians for me. Incredible people who want to be free of Putin. Whenever I hear 'Ukraine', I don't think of a faceless stan, think think of these artists and how they humanize the people.

I think it's a huge travesty for countries in the west to take a 'they're expendable' approach to these countries, to make everything about NATO membership. That doesn't mean we go to war or can protect each country, but it means we can relate that it's like our founding fathers wanting freedom, which we only got because France helped, and now we're France as their country is being overrun, destroyed, tyrannized.

This is where we see if talk is cheap about things like democracy and 'values'.

The name of the group I'm talking about is "Dakha Brakha". All their performances are sung in their language, which we can listen to for its sound.

Their description of it as based on Ukranian folk music is modest and in my opinion doesn't begin to do it justice. I'd like to say it's unique but can't compare it to much. If you might like to have Ukraine humanized a bit for you also, I'll link a couple of videos of their performances. Of course you can just google on them for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at some of the translated youtube user comments for the music video above, giving an idea of the way their music affects people.

In Ukraine, there is something in the very air that is not found anywhere else where I have been. Some incredible feeling of peace, freedom, melancholy. Although, this feeling, probably, cannot even be described in words, but as for the music... then DakhaBrakha certainly hit the mark.

I listen and get goosebumps! .. I can’t listen enough ... I’m crying ... What is this, people? What is Ukrainian magic? Hello from Georgia by the way

It touches the most delicate strings of the soul. As already written earlier, this is real hypnosis. Just wonderful.

When there are such songs Ukraine is invincible!!!

You can say a thousand words to explain why you are Ukrainian! And you can listen to this song to understand it.... Glory to Ukraine!

The living native word flows into my blood ... It lifts me above the clouds and gives me fierce strength. Holiday Ukraine will live forever .... Will I ever betray my Nenya and let go, forgive the Horde devils? No. As long as I live and as long as my children hear my voice ...... never.

These aren't cherry picked - they are six of the first seven comments listed. That should help humanize Ukraine as we watch these people powerless against the war machine of Putin and help show the harm being done.

The only people dehumanizing Ukraine are the ones who think that sanctions will stop this war

The only people dehumanizing Ukraine are the ones who think that sanctions will stop this war

The Ukraine President tweeted today for all concerned people to stand with them and fight the invasion.
When you heading over?

We call them the 'stans'. The countries whose names we can't really remember who were created when the USSR dissolved. This-stan, that-stan. They're not all literally stans, like Ukraine.

But like with global news generally, it can be hard for people to humanize countries they know little about. It's just numbers. Which is harmful.

I would probably have more of that problem myself with Ukraine, but for several years ago finding a musical group. I'm not normally a fan of 'folk music', or 'ethnic music'. Just not my taste. Except this group.

I found their music amazing. They quickly became a group I consider of the most remarkable groups I know of. I will say, it's not quite exactly enjoyment of their music as much as favorite classic rock, but it is having a very high opinion of it and enjoying seeing how they find new fresh performances.

That was it, my one 'weird group' I'd tell people about. They performed at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts - they weren't unknown - and they performed on 'Tiny Concerts' at a bookstore on PBS and did tours across the world. They'd play at a 'blues picking' festival in the American south.

The group is enigmatic, one man and three women, in ethnic costumes that vary, with the most unusual headgear you've ever seen in a group, usually just on the women.

But then I saw them say something political - their only political aspect. And that something was that they stand for a free Ukraine. It's a passion for them. And it humanized Ukranians for me. Incredible people who want to be free of Putin. Whenever I hear 'Ukraine', I don't think of a faceless stan, think think of these artists and how they humanize the people.

I think it's a huge travesty for countries in the west to take a 'they're expendable' approach to these countries, to make everything about NATO membership. That doesn't mean we go to war or can protect each country, but it means we can relate that it's like our founding fathers wanting freedom, which we only got because France helped, and now we're France as their country is being overrun, destroyed, tyrannized.

The name of the group I'm talking about is "Dakha Brakha". All their performances are sung in their language, which we can listen to for its sound.

Their description of it as based on Ukranian folk music is modest and in my opinion doesn't begin to do it justice. I'd like to say it's unique but can't compare it to much. If you might like to have Ukraine humanized a bit for you also, I'll link a couple of videos of their performances. Of course you can just google on them for others.

Wow, that’s some pretty funky music there- I had never heard anything like that in my life. Kinda weirds you out. It sounds so exotic, primal, and alien- yet hauntingly beautiful and sophisticated. I liked it- pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Wow, that’s some pretty funky music there- I had never heard anything like that in my life. Kinda weirds you out. It sounds so exotic, primal, and alien- yet hauntingly beautiful and sophisticated. I liked it- pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you liked it! If you check out some more, let me know what you think; I'd expect it to be similar but the variety is surprising to me. Some I like better than others of course.

A concert yesterday. Incredible.

If you want to humanize them post pictures of the faces of the people murdered by Putin.

Now I will warn you that there's a group here that hates when I post the faces of the women who are killed by their husbands. So expect a backlash.

If you want to humanize them post pictures of the faces of the people murdered by Putin.

Now I will warn you that there's a group here that hates when I post the faces of the women who are killed by their husbands. So expect a backlash.
I'll humanize them the way I did.

You're bordering on 'thread crapping', and I'm generous with the word bordering.

I'll humanize them the way I did.

You're bordering on 'thread crapping', and I'm generous with the word bordering.
I don't have a problem with the way you're trying to humanize them. But for whatever reason when people start seeing the faces of the dead it changes things.

I don't have a problem with the way you're trying to humanize them. But for whatever reason when people start seeing the faces of the dead it changes things.
There are different ways to do things. I'd suggest you let people choose whether to see them, by either clicking a link with a description or spoiler tags. Meantime, let's get back to this thread topic. Go watch a good band.

I am curious who these people are hating the murdered wife pictures.

I came across DakhaBrakha maybe a few years or more ago and shared their music with my old friends.

As for dehumanization ...

Last edited:
This is a great introduction to their music.

I searched 'Russian post punk' and the first one I tried is good. There's good music everywhere.

I searched 'Russian post punk' and the first one I tried is good. There's good music everywhere.
This thread is for Ukraine, not Russia.

I'd like to see them perform, and they are performing near me in less than a week two nights, but it's sold out.

However, April 27 at 7:30 PM Pacific sfjazz.org is hosting a free online airing of the concert.

Yesterday (or the day before?), NPR did a story on Dhakabrakha and their years-long message 'Stop Putin - No War' on 'All Things Considered'.

I'm glad Craig was here to tell me about Ukrainians.

Ukraine is not an homogenous country -- never has been. The Russians and Hungarians who live there are every bit as native to that land. It's ridiculous for Ukrainians to project themselves as "the real natives"

The concert starts in a half hour. It'll be re-broadcast tomorrow.

www.sfjazz.org

Back
Top Bottom