• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Humanism Theme Song

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace,

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world,

But I'm not the only one

John Lennon - Imagine Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

One of the most beautiful things ever written. It's always had a special place in my heart.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man

But I'm not the only one

Joan Baez used to do that one in concert, but she sang 'Imagine no possessions
I wonder if we can'. Much better, I like the song but those two lines annoyed me, a rich guy like John Lennon saying that.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man

But I'm not the only one

lol...so if this is humanism, why hasn't it been accomplished yet? We've had 1,000's of years and still, the world is worse than ever...

lol...so if this is humanism, why hasn't it been accomplished yet? We've had 1,000's of years and still, the world is worse than ever...

If it is ever accomplished, your God will be out of business.

If it is ever accomplished, your God will be out of business.

I don't think so...my God WILL accomplish it...no one else can...there will be NO religion, only TRUTH...

I wonder if we can'. Much better, I like the song but those two lines annoyed me, a rich guy like John Lennon saying that.

There was some obvious disconnect, wasn't there.

I don't think so...my God WILL accomplish it...no one else can...there will be NO religion, only TRUTH...

Truth is derived from the objective analysis of alternatives, it is not just "given" or "written".

'Rich', yes. But from humble working class Liverpudlian roots. I don't believe money was his motivator, as he was willing to break-up & walk-away from the most successful & lucrative music-franchise gravy-train in the world!

He was strongly ideological, headstrong, unconventional, and always willing to publicly break-away from convention. I sincerely doubt he would let money stand in the way of his ideology. Of his contemporaries, the Stones would. Ditto for Pink Floyd & The Who. And definitely also McCartney & perhaps Ringo. But I doubt John Lennon would sell himself out, nor do I suspect George Harrison would either.

'Rich', yes. But from humble working class Liverpudlian roots. I don't believe money was his motivator, as he was willing to break-up & walk-away from the most successful & lucrative music-franchise gravy-train in the world!

He was strongly ideological, headstrong, unconventional, and always willing to publicly break-away from convention. I sincerely doubt he would let money stand in the way of his ideology. Of his contemporaries, the Stones would. Ditto for Pink Floyd & The Who. And definitely also McCartney & perhaps Ringo. But I doubt John Lennon would sell himself out, nor do I suspect George Harrison would either.

I just think that the we is better, less holier than thou. I was a Beatles and Lennon fan, I saw them live in 1964. Lennon was a gifted musician and songwriter, but he was no saint.

I just think that the we is better, less holier than thou.
Agreed. His using 'I' shows Lennon's cocky personality. Though quite frankly, that's what a lot of us liked about him - his irreverent cockiness.

I was a Beatles and Lennon fan, I saw them live in 1964. Lennon was a gifted musician and songwriter, but he was no saint.
No saint at all! But you know what? I don't think we want our rock n rollers to be saints. Even those that espouse 'love'.

But speaking of the 'love' generation, when David Crosby got out of crack rehab in the 90's, I saw an interview with him. He said something that really caught me, and it has stuck with me since:

"Peace. Love. Dope. Well, we got two out of three right!"

If that don't nail the sixties, I don't know what does? :mrgreen:

What is this lousy lyric doing in this forum? I have never met a reasonable, kind hearted humanist. Lets not even start to calculate the chances of finding a humble humanist. I'm beginning to think Humanism comes from arrogance.

What is this lousy lyric doing in this forum? I have never met a reasonable, kind hearted humanist. Lets not even start to calculate the chances of finding a humble humanist. I'm beginning to think Humanism comes from arrogance.

Why exactly is ad hom so important to you believers? Is it because your arguments for God can’t hold up on their own?

What an arrogant unkind attitude.

What’s the hold up?

He wants to make sure everyone realizes, without a doubt, we need His guidance, in other words, it's gonna get worse before it gets better but I'd say we're pretty close...

He wants to make sure everyone realizes, without a doubt, we need His guidance, in other words, it's gonna get worse before it gets better but I'd say we're pretty close...

People have been saying that for 2000 years. *YAWN*

Humanism is the basis of the modern world. Humanist documents like the Constitution of the United States.

yeah no, the founding fathers are nowhere near of humanism

humanism is religion without religion

I dunno we have life saving medicine like blood transfusions now and life expectancy is much higher.

Agreed. His using 'I' shows Lennon's cocky personality. Though quite frankly, that's what a lot of us liked about him - his irreverent cockiness.

No saint at all! But you know what? I don't think we want our rock n rollers to be saints. Even those that espouse 'love'.

But speaking of the 'love' generation, when David Crosby got out of crack rehab in the 90's, I saw an interview with him. He said something that really caught me, and it has stuck with me since:

"Peace. Love. Dope. Well, we got two out of three right!"

If that don't nail the sixties, I don't know what does? :mrgreen:

I agree. Macca was smarmy, Ringo dopey and Harrison grouchy.

I dunno we have life saving medicine like blood transfusions now and life expectancy is much higher.

Yes, my parents had a much better time during WW2, and the period of the Black Death was an amazing time to be alive in.

People have been saying that for 2000 years. *YAWN*

"First of all know this, that in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.” 2 Peter 3:3,4

Back
Top Bottom