• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Human cloning

Should human cloning be legal?

• yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • yes but no public funding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no but allow genetic modification

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't allow reproductive cloning or genetic modification but allow therapeutic cloning

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • don't allow any of this

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Recently, Chinese scientist Hi Jiankui claims to have created the world's first genetically modified babies (to prevent them from contracting AIDS).
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...enetic-engineering-babies-20181128-story.html
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...china-tests-bioethics-cloned-monkeys-10973950

In the meantime, monkeys have been successfully cloned which further raises questions on when human cloning will be possible.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ed-monkeys-scientists-china-first/1062649001/

Cloning is a very controversial topic. It raised many ethical concerns over whether copying or genetically modifying another person is acceptable.

Some countries have already outright banned cloning. Fifteen US states (Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Iowa, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Dakota, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Florida, Georgia, and Virginia) ban reproductive cloning and three states (Arizona, Maryland, and Missouri) prohibit public funds from being used for such activities.

Outright human cloning isn't the only form of cloning. There's also therapeutic cloning in which body parts are grown to replace defective organs.

The fundamental problem with cloning is that it takes too long. If I want a clone to take over my work load I'll need to wait AND WORK for another 50 years by which time I'll be dead and won't need a clone any more.

You can use it to grow spare parts, that seems ok. But not beyond that, not in general anyway.

I think I saw a move about that once

The Island (2005) - IMDb

lol, yeah. I would say we can't go growing full humans and we can't Gattaca this **** either. I think we need to be real careful in the areas of cloning and genetic manipulation.

The fundamental problem with cloning is that it takes too long. If I want a clone to take over my work load I'll need to wait AND WORK for another 50 years by which time I'll be dead and won't need a clone any more.

I expect that soon after cloning was perfected, the ability to accelerate growth and development of the clone would be achieved. The only real goal of having a clone of yourself I expect would be to transfer your consciousness to it, in an attempt to be able to live for ever (see Resident Evil movies )

lol, yeah. I would say we can't go growing full humans and we can't Gattaca this **** either. I think we need to be real careful in the areas of cloning and genetic manipulation.

Gattaca never made sense to me. Why create laws that state people had to be clones/genetically modified, instead of just focusing on ability. It has been a long time since I saw the movie but I don't believe they were organized into castes of clones that were specialized in certain fields, in which the above would make sense

Recently, Chinese scientist Hi Jiankui claims to have created the world's first genetically modified babies (to prevent them from contracting AIDS).
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...enetic-engineering-babies-20181128-story.html
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...china-tests-bioethics-cloned-monkeys-10973950

In the meantime, monkeys have been successfully cloned which further raises questions on when human cloning will be possible.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ed-monkeys-scientists-china-first/1062649001/

Cloning is a very controversial topic. It raised many ethical concerns over whether copying or genetically modifying another person is acceptable.

Some countries have already outright banned cloning. Fifteen US states (Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Iowa, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Dakota, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Florida, Georgia, and Virginia) ban reproductive cloning and three states (Arizona, Maryland, and Missouri) prohibit public funds from being used for such activities.

Outright human cloning isn't the only form of cloning. There's also therapeutic cloning in which body parts are grown to replace defective organs.

I think cloniing will generate many more questions than the Poll options. Humans don't display great qualities of responsibility where Power is the denominator. Human cloning represents great power and slippery slopes on moral/ethical grounds. For these reasons, I selected OTHER.
/

Gattaca never made sense to me. Why create laws that state people had to be clones/genetically modified, instead of just focusing on ability. It has been a long time since I saw the movie but I don't believe they were organized into castes of clones that were specialized in certain fields, in which the above would make sense

It was valids and in-valids, so there was a caste system, plus heavy genetic discrimination. I don't think we should ever get to the point of relying on genetic manipulation to the point that existed in that sci-fi world. Random genetic mutations are necessary for diversity and evolution.

I think cloniing will generate many more questions than the Poll options. Humans don't display great qualities of responsibility where Power is the denominator. Human cloning represents great power and slippery slopes on moral/ethical grounds. For these reasons, I selected OTHER.
/

Cloning will occur along with genetic manipulation

Governments will want to create super soldiers
Individuals will want to create perfect offspring, the most intelligent, the most beautiful etc children they can

Business's will open to serve that demand, and some country/ies will allow it, causing all others to eventually do the same

Many people support legalizing marijuana and even addictive drugs, usually saying it's going to be done anyway, so legalize and tax it. In some places prostitution is legal. In some places making pron movies is legal. Maybe we should do that with everything people insist on doing no matter what. Cloning is going to happen. Maybe only for rich people, but I''l bet some are already looking into it. Might be way better than cryogenic freezing, and maybe even cheaper. I could see where a couple might want to clone their terminally ill child.

Sweet! The more of me the better! I am heading over to China...

Well, if that's the reason one wants a clone, it's a good thing it takes too long.

As long as it is safe, I would allow for the cloning of someone who is already dead. It would be fascinating to see Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and the like. I see nothing wrong with designer babies, to a point. My first sentence would provide moral and ethical dilemmas but I don't see any with gene editing out diseases or editing in certain characteristics unless it was taken to the extreme as far as making superhumans.

Back
Top Bottom