• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Huge locust plague looms

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Huge locust plague looms

Locusts have laid eggs over an area of Australia about the size of Spain, as farmers ready for a plague of record proportions.

Egg beds, in some cases kilometres long, laid during the autumn in northern Victoria, New South Wales, southern Queensland and south-east South Australia, are starting to hatch.

This is bad, if our farmers aren't suffering from droughts, floods or fire, they get locusts, and millions of them.

Don't they make efforts to eradicate them while unhatched?

We kill mosquitoes, wasps, beetles and other things - I guess the locusts aren't really killable, then, with poisons (like lure traps)?

Don't they make efforts to eradicate them while unhatched?

We kill mosquitoes, wasps, beetles and other things - I guess the locusts aren't really killable, then, with poisons (like lure traps)?

They have made the effort, you'll find few eggs in the farmers fields, but it's the rest of the Spain sized area that's the problem. A lot of the area is bush or semi-arid scrub.

Yeah - I imagine it would complicate things.

If tit happened yearly or far more frequently maybe they'd attack it more headon?

Australia will be a country that will be hit hard by climate change. The next ten years will say lots, I think.

Further proof that God hates Australia.

Further proof that Australia is the absolute worst place in the world. If it's not deadly jellyfish, 25-foot maneating crocodiles, or poisonous everything, it's biblical plagues. Remind me never to go there.

Further proof that Australia is the absolute worst place in the world. If it's not deadly jellyfish, 25-foot maneating crocodiles, or poisonous everything, it's biblical plagues. Remind me never to go there.
Things could be worse, you could have Mexico as your neighbor....you guys get bugs, we get illegal immigrants...and your bugs have no "rights"....

Things could be worse, you could have Mexico as your neighbor....you guys get bugs, we get illegal immigrants...and your bugs have no "rights"....

I wouldn't say that, you ever tried telling the worlds deadliest spider that it doesn't have free speech? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, you ever tried telling the worlds deadliest spider that it doesn't have free speech? :mrgreen:

Is it a protected species? If not, step on the little bugger....and if it is, and there are no witnesses, step on it anyway.
If there ARE witnesses, make sure it looks like an accident...

Is it a protected species? If not, step on the little bugger....and if it is, and there are no witnesses, step on it anyway.
If there ARE witnesses, make sure it looks like an accident...

Mind you, our snakes are protected species - and I live in Taipan country - to be exact Inland Taipan country - world's deadliest land snake! Those !#!@ are so big that they could run for parliament as independents!

But it is true about Australia will be hit hard by climate change (it is already) and the forecasts for change are interesting

Australian climate variability & change - Trend maps

As you see the West will get wetter and the East drier. Problem is that area of the West that is fated to get wetter is about as fertile as a billiard ball

Mind you, our snakes are protected species - and I live in Taipan country - to be exact Inland Taipan country - world's deadliest land snake! Those !#!@ are so big that they could run for parliament as independents!

But it is true about Australia will be hit hard by climate change (it is already) and the forecasts for change are interesting

Australian climate variability & change - Trend maps

As you see the West will get wetter and the East drier. Problem is that area of the West that is fated to get wetter is about as fertile as a billiard ball

Try piping partially treated sewage to some of that land. Pump it out to selected spots for a week out of each year, plant the right trees and bushes, and stand back.....
BTW, tomato seeds do NOT lose fertility in most sewage processes, so you may get a bumper crop of them.

Try piping partially treated sewage to some of that land. Pump it out to selected spots for a week out of each year, plant the right trees and bushes, and stand back.....
BTW, tomato seeds do NOT lose fertility in most sewage processes, so you may get a bumper crop of them.

The only problem with that is that a lot of places have laws against using sewage in food producing agriculture.

Our county sometimes sprays sewage on peoples property and it really greens up lawns, etc.
Plus lots of surprise tomatoes plants. :lol:

If that's the only problem with that, I'll **** a goose.

It smells a little like **** but then so does cow manure. :lol:

For me, it's not a big deal but I used to live with a cow pasture, right in front of my house.
Going out at night and hearing the soothing sounds of cows urinating.
It's hypnotic. :2razz:

We get a locust plague in the DC area every 17 years.

They're technically cicadas, and last time everyone called them cicadas, but here the terms "locust" and "cicada" are basically interchangeable, so there you go.

Anyways, I've only witnessed it once, in 2004. The trees were black with them, no sh*t, and you could barely hear anything above their collective buzzing. It was pretty awesome overall. They'll be back in 2021.

Last edited:
Fried grasshoppers are some good eatin'. has anyone thought of "harvesting" these locusts as a food source?

Fried grasshoppers are some good eatin'. has anyone thought of "harvesting" these locusts as a food source?
I suspect the local Chinese population is way ahead of you ...

Look at it this way, you have an area this big.

17731_map-spain.jpg

full of things this big.

australian%20plague%20locust_web.jpg

There's no way you could eat all the little ****ers.

There's no way you could eat all the little ****ers.
Maybe we could export them to China. They have about 1,200,000,000 people to feed there.

Maybe we could export them to China. They have about 1,200,000,000 people to feed there.

catch 'em, fry 'em, put 'em in a box. sell 'em to the UN to feed all the starving kids in Africa

Back
Top Bottom