• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Howard Dean Admits Obamacare Includes Death Panels, Wants Them Repealed

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Steven Ertelt
7/29/13

When Congress debated Obamacare, pro-life advocates and Republicans like Sarah Palin were castigated for claiming the government-run health care program would include death panels that would ration health care treatment.

Now, former presidential candidate Howard Dean has essentially admitted they were right and is calling for the repeal of the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB). In a Wall Street Journal op-ed Monday he called the IPAB “essentially a health-care rationing body” that he believes will fail.

“There does have to be control of costs in our health-care system. However, rate setting — the essential mechanism of the IPAB — has a 40-year track record of failure,” Dean wrote.

Dean, who is a healthcare industry representative as a senior adviser at the law and lobbying firm McKenna Long & Aldridge, said his experience as governor of Vermont turned him off to government control of healthcare prices.

Read more:
Howard Dean Admits Obamacare Includes Death Panels, Wants Them Repealed | LifeNews.com

Oh dear, here we go again. Don't you want to let those poor people die off before they empty the treasury? Or should we keep everyone alive until they're 120?

Oh dear, here we go again. Don't you want to let those poor people die off before they empty the treasury?
Or should we keep everyone alive until they're 120?

Everyone is going to die sooner or later.

Whether they're ready or not.

Funny I don't see Dean using the stupid phrase "death panel." Rather the stupid phrase is used by wehr. Go figure.

by Steven Ertelt
7/29/13

When Congress debated Obamacare, pro-life advocates and Republicans like Sarah Palin were castigated for claiming the government-run health care program would include death panels that would ration health care treatment.

Now, former presidential candidate Howard Dean has essentially admitted they were right and is calling for the repeal of the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB). In a Wall Street Journal op-ed Monday he called the IPAB “essentially a health-care rationing body” that he believes will fail.

“There does have to be control of costs in our health-care system. However, rate setting — the essential mechanism of the IPAB — has a 40-year track record of failure,” Dean wrote.

Dean, who is a healthcare industry representative as a senior adviser at the law and lobbying firm McKenna Long & Aldridge, said his experience as governor of Vermont turned him off to government control of healthcare prices.

Read more:
Howard Dean Admits Obamacare Includes Death Panels, Wants Them Repealed | LifeNews.com

A completely dishonest article by Life News, Howard Dean wrote about IPAB, not death panels. The author connects death panels by saying: "The IPAB was labeled a 'death panel' by Republicans", but they were wrong then and LifeNews is wrong now.

Oh dear, here we go again. Don't you want to let those poor people die off before they empty the treasury? Or should we keep everyone alive until they're 120?

Everyone but you.

Funny I don't see Dean using the stupid phrase "death panel." Rather the stupid phrase is used by wehr. Go figure.

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Do try to keep up. Begin by reading the link title. <hint>

No...you should just have been HONEST about it. Isnt it funny that when Sarah Palin brought it up you think it was a ridiculous notion. Now that Howard Dean brings it up you are all for letting the worthless people die so they dont drain off the treasury.

And BTW...I agree...but I dont think we should start with old age or diseased.

A completely dishonest article by Life News, Howard Dean wrote about IPAB, not death panels. The author connects death panels by saying: "The IPAB was labeled a 'death panel' by Republicans", but they were wrong then and LifeNews is wrong now.

Howard Dean: Congress should scrap 'health-care rationing body'​

By David Sherfinski
July 29, 2013

Former Vermont governor and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has had plenty of good things to say about Obamacare, but he does not believe an independent board that can determine health-care cost rates and services — dubbed a “death panel” by its most vociferous detractors — will work as intended.

The Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) — “essentially a health-care rationing body,” Mr. Dean writes — has “no possibility” of working to curb health care costs and “will almost certainly make the system more bureaucratic and therefore drive up administrative costs.”

“By setting doctor reimbursement rates for Medicare and determining which procedures and drugs will be covered and at what price, the IPAB will be able to stop certain treatments its members do not favor by simply setting rates to levels where no doctor or hospital will perform them,”B] Mr. Dean writes in a piece in the Wall Street Journal.

There does have to be control of costs in our health-care system, Mr. Dean writes, but rate setting “has a 40-year track record of failure.”

“What ends up happening in these schemes (which many states including my home state of Vermont have implemented with virtually no long-term effect on costs) is that patients and physicians get aggravated because bureaucrats in either the private or public sector are making medical decisions without knowing the patients,” he writes. “Most important, once again, these kinds of schemes do not control costs. The medical system simply becomes more bureaucratic.”

He does write that President Obama’s health-care overhaul could eliminate duplicative services, and that health-care benefit exchanges will provide patients with competitive plan options.

But Mr. Dean writes that in order to have a secure future, the country has to move away from fee-for-service medicine, “which is all about incentives to spend more, and has no incentives in the system to keep patients healthy. The IPAB has no possibility of helping to solve this major problem and will almost certainly make the system more bureaucratic and therefore drive up administrative costs.”

The IPAB was labeled a “death panel” by Republicans in the run-up to the 2010 midterm elections; among its most prominent critics was former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.[/B]

On the campaign trail last year, Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP’s vice presidential nominee, said that with the board, Mr. Obama “puts a board of 15 unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats in charge of Medicare, who are required to cut Medicare in ways that will lead to denied care for current seniors.”

Read more:
Howard Dean: Congress should scrap 'health-care rationing body' - Washington Times

Of course the Kool Aide you drink requires you deny the facts even when it comes from a fellow Progressive.

But you said "death panels". More dishonesty from the rightwing noise machine.

Of course the Kool Aide you drink requires you deny the facts even when it comes from a fellow Progressive.
The truth is that the so-called "death panels" don't exist in the PPACA, but I suppose you can act dumb and think they do. Howard Dean wrote about rate setting problems, not "death panels."

The only reason I don't off myself right now is because the cats need a father figure.
Everyone but you.

Who are you talking to? You quoted me but when did I develop this relationship with Sarah Palin? I've never thought it was a ridiculous notion. I think it's a damn good idea that we lack the courage to face. I'm a Eugenist through and through. Be thankful that I'm not in charge of anything.

Why not start with old age and the diseased? Should we keep everyone alive as long as humanly possible? Or should we invest in the better health of those who are still able to give back to society?

No...you should just have been HONEST about it. Isnt it funny that when Sarah Palin brought it up you think it was a ridiculous notion. Now that Howard Dean brings it up you are all for letting the worthless people die so they dont drain off the treasury.

And BTW...I agree...but I dont think we should start with old age or diseased.

Money doesn't grow on trees. If the choice is between Grandpa at 90 and a 17-year-old girl who both need a million dollars in care, bye bye Grandpa, it's been great knowing you. If you can't make the hard choices, even the brutal ones, then you are a child not an adult.

The only reason I don't off myself right now is because the cats need a father figure.

Who are you talking to? You quoted me but when did I develop this relationship with Sarah Palin? I've never thought it was a ridiculous notion. I think it's a damn good idea that we lack the courage to face. I'm a Eugenist through and through. Be thankful that I'm not in charge of anything.

Why not start with old age and the diseased? Should we keep everyone alive as long as humanly possible? Or should we invest in the better health of those who are still able to give back to society?

Why start with old people? Hell, many of those "old people" are far more productive than their young malingering counterparts. I'd feel better keepin an old guy alive that is still investing, producing, spending retirement dollars SFC than some 25 year old malingerer invested getting their "disability on" and daring the states. Since you are all for offing people rather than lettin them be a drain on society seems to me your priorities are backward. The old guy...nature will run its course. The young guy...that asshole is out there procreating and creating offspring he can't pay for. .

Why start with old people? Hell, many of those "old people" are far more productive than their young malingering counterparts. I'd feel better keepin an old guy alive that is still investing, producing, spending retirement dollars SFC than some 25 year old malingerer invested getting their "disability on" and daring the states. Since you are all for offing people rather than lettin them be a drain on society seems to me your priorities are backward. The old guy...nature will run its course. The young guy...that asshole is out there procreating and creating offspring he can't pay for. .

I knew and loved someone who lived to the ripe old age of 92 because in his 40's, he had his first pacemaker installed. The last two years, Mr. H. did become frail, but until 90 he was still mowing, driving to the farm to mend fences, and all the rest of it. There are those who wouldn't wish to "waste" money on implanting a new pacemaker in an 80-year old. That wasn't a waste in Mr. H's case.

Money doesn't grow on trees. If the choice is between Grandpa at 90 and a 17-year-old girl who both need a million dollars in care, bye bye Grandpa, it's been great knowing you. If you can't make the hard choices, even the brutal ones, then you are a child not an adult.

You sound like a grand theorist to me.

You sound like a grand theorist to me.
There's nothing grand or theoretical about it. It's what we used to call Common Sense, or a Bang for the Buck, in this case literally.

I think you may be presuming I'm an advocate of mass murder. There are days...but that's not what I'm really about.

I'm just questioning the amount of resources to be used in preserving the elderly. Certainly they should get health care but do we need to use extraordinary measures to gain a few more months of life? Shouldn't there be some sort of cap for the use of public resources? Your example 25 year old slacker also. Once we've spent - I don't know - a million dollars on you then why should we continue to fund your decrepit body? If you have your own resources, you can outlive Methuselah for all I care but giving a 96 year old man a new pacemaker because the model changed is becoming an increasing problem.

If I live as long as my Father did, the treasury will have paid me $875K for the $180K I put in (not even allowing for COL increases). How many of me can you afford?

But you said "death panels". More dishonesty from the rightwing noise machine.

Howard Dean Admits Obamacare Includes Death Panels, Wants Them Repealed

Here's the title of the link. I enlarged the key words for you so you wouldn't miss them. Do you ****ing get it now???? You see where the phrase comes from now? The only noise machine is you. This is the second time I've tried pointing this out to you.

You said,
I said "Everyone but you". Get the joke?

Here's the title of the link. I enlarged the key words for you so you wouldn't miss them. Do you ****ing get it now???? You see where the phrase comes from now? The only noise machine is you. This is the second time I've tried pointing this out to you.

American... the OP is a lie... typical of what the poster who penned the OP does. In the article, Howard Dean NEVER calls anything in Obamacare "death panels". NEVER. The article makes a reference to REPUBLICANS calling things in Obamacare "death panels". You need to know that this is the kind of dishonesty that the OP posts in every thread he starts.

There's nothing grand or theoretical about it. It's what we used to call Common Sense, or a Bang for the Buck, in this case literally.

You're right; it's definitely not grand. In fact, it's small. We're talking about human lives here, and in my opinion, the subject deserves more than a smartassed comment about "bang for your buck."

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, here's the link to Dr. Dean's article itself: Howard Dean: The Affordable Care Act's Rate-Setting Won't Work - WSJ.com

by Steven Ertelt
7/29/13

Read more:

So basically you did not bother to read what Dean wrote, and instead took the word of some one else about what he did say. That some one else mislead you, which you could have found out had you simply read what Dean wrote. Hint: nowhere does Dean mention a "death panel". Why is it, no matter how many times your sources are shown to be flat out lies, you just keep posting them?

Dear Brother American,,Of course I got the joke.

I responded "he only reason I don't off myself right now is because the cats need a father figure.". Don't you get the joke?

:)

You said,
I said "Everyone but you". Get the joke?

I think you may be presuming I'm an advocate of mass murder. There are days...but that's not what I'm really about.

I'm just questioning the amount of resources to be used in preserving the elderly. Certainly they should get health care but do we need to use extraordinary measures to gain a few more months of life? Shouldn't there be some sort of cap for the use of public resources? Your example 25 year old slacker also. Once we've spent - I don't know - a million dollars on you then why should we continue to fund your decrepit body? If you have your own resources, you can outlive Methuselah for all I care but giving a 96 year old man a new pacemaker because the model changed is becoming an increasing problem.

If I live as long as my Father did, the treasury will have paid me $875K for the $180K I put in (not even allowing for COL increases). How many of me can you afford?

You should do a google check on Million Dollar Murray. And it would blow your mind how many Murray's are out there.

Back
Top Bottom