• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Zelensky changed the West's response to Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How Zelensky changed the West's response to Russia

iu

Five days into Russia's brutal invasion of Ukraine, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his courageous nation have already done more to transform the West's policy toward Russia than 30 years of post-Cold War summits, policy resets and showdowns with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Ukrainian leader's defiance has inspired and shamed the United States and the European Union into going far further -- and far faster -- in turning Russia into a pariah state than it appeared they were ready to go. The Ukrainian President's heroism has also touched people across the world and set off a torrent of smaller gestures of support. Formula One and European football chiefs have stripped Russia of showpiece events. Russian ballet performances have been canceled in the UK. And some US states are pulling Russian-made vodka off the shelves. Stateside, 83% of Americans said they favored increased economic sanctions against Russia in response to the invasion, with just 17% opposed, a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS that was released Monday found. The significant stiffening of the global front against Russia over the weekend followed increasingly fervent calls by Zelensky for help. European leaders reported that in a call with them last week, he had said he didn't know how long he or his country had left.

Few outsiders expected that Zelensky would morph into a leader to match this moment in his country's history. Under the most extreme circumstances, Zelensky is ironically displaying the very values -- including a staunch defense of democracy -- that would qualify Ukraine for membership in both the European Union and NATO, a path Putin tried to close off with his invasion. "They are one of us and we want them in," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in an interview with Euronews on Sunday, referring to Ukraine. He has become the rarest of leaders -- synonymous with the mood and character of his people at a pivotal moment in history while willing them to ever greater national efforts like British Prime Minister Winston Churchill during World War II or George Washington during and after the American revolution. "This is not just Russia's invasion of Ukraine. This is the beginning of a war against Europe, against European structures, against democracy, against basic human rights, against a global order of law, rules and peaceful coexistence." And Zelensky's extraordinary success so far is only making him a more valuable target for Russia. Moscow may reason that if he is captured or killed, Ukrainian morale and resistance could collapse. The evidence of the last few days, however, makes that a questionable proposition.

I personally think that Ukrainian president Volodmyr Zelenskyy, like Belarus's opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, may be more effective being alive in exile. But I doubt Z would view it that way.

Unfortunately, I think the Rusians will either execute Zelenskyy in Kyiv and photograph his bullet-riddled body, or kidnap him to Moscow and display him in a cell as they do with Alexei Navalny.

I hope he manages to not get himself killed before the other democracies of the world decide to step in on the side of ukraine and chase putin back into russia.

The Ukrainian leader's defiance has inspired and shamed the United States and the European Union into going far further -- and far faster -- in turning Russia into a pariah state than it appeared they were ready to go. The Ukrainian President's heroism has also touched people across the world ...

The social media has transformed communications, linked entire populations into communication with each other. And Zemanski, once thought weak, has become a great voice that has not been silenced, a hero to the free world.

I find it amazing that the Russians have not been able to cripple the communications network, phones still work and video from individuals continue to be transmitted. Russian caused death, atrocities, pain, and Ukrainian civilian counterstrikes have galvanized the world. What 30 years of diplomacy failed to do, Zeminski and social media has: tell the world the truth about the mad dictator of Russia.

I pray that at an opportune moment, he (and parliament) escapes Kiev to set up a new government in a safer City...perhaps nearer the west. His loss would be gut wrenching, and I am unfamiliar who would be next in line.

I find it amazing that the Russians have not been able to cripple the communications network

The strike on the communications tower a few days ago shows they are trying. I think however some of the Russian electronics measures have been overestimated - their fancy "Pantsir" anti aircraft system has been repeatedly humiliated in the Middle East by Turkish drones and those same drones have been effectively used in Ukraine - again striking Russia's portable anti-missile systems.
Ukraine needs a whole lot more of those, and operators - even Turkish volunteers to help out.

Zelenskyy has a comm link to Washington via a US govt. satellite.

Back
Top Bottom