• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you have fought the Cold War?

So we cheer as he took us from the largest Creditor Nation to the largest Debtor Nation in the blink of an eye.... :rolleyes:
I suggest that you lean some math and history. Congress controls the purse strings, not the president. If the executive office ever is given the tool of a "line item veto", then you can give the president more blame for runaway spending. However if you insist on giving the lions share of the blame to presidents, more was spent during Obama's eight years then all previous presidents combined,
Glasnost was working, the Warsaw Pact citizens saw the 'opulence' of the average American and the destitute conditions they suffered. The Generals and politicians on both sides were surprised when the Wall came down. The Arms race was money badly spent, a pyrrhic victory I doubt we recover from... ✌️
You are making it up as you go along to avoid giving credit to Reagan. To be fair, it was not just Reagan, but the massive US industrial base as well. However it was Reagan as a leader who convinced the Soviets that they were not going to be allowed to win an arms race with the US and still feed their population.. And prior to Reagan, previous US presidents signed farce treaties with the Soviets that they never intended to honor. They would cheat before the ink was dry. It was Reagan who enacted the concept of trust but verify. On top of that he stood up to Gorbachev refused to back down on the missile defense system.

I suggest that you lean some math and history. Congress controls the purse strings, not the president. If the executive office ever is given the tool of a "line item veto", then you can give the president more blame for runaway spending. However if you insist on giving the lions share of the blame to presidents, more was spent during Obama's eight years then all previous presidents combined,

You are making it up as you go along to avoid giving credit to Reagan. To be fair, it was not just Reagan, but the massive US industrial base as well. However it was Reagan as a leader who convinced the Soviets that they were not going to be allowed to win an arms race with the US and still feed their population.. And prior to Reagan, previous US presidents signed farce treaties with the Soviets that they never intended to honor. They would cheat before the ink was dry. It was Reagan who enacted the concept of trust but verify. On top of that he stood up to Gorbachev refused to back down on the missile defense system.
Not really, Reagan made the very critical choice to run a massive debt from cutting taxes and increasing military spending. That combination took us from creditor to debtor. It became the slogan for the GOP to abandon fiscal responsibility to build a voting block- spend like it's someone else's money. 'Star Wars' was a massive sink hole for taxpayer money.

As far as treaties go, they did keep us from MAD for decades. 'Cheating was something both sides did- do you remember the U2 programs??? We swore we weren't overflying Soviet territory.

Reagan didn't create 'trust but verify'- like many other things he took full credit for sloganizing it.... ✌️

Not really, Reagan made the very critical choice to run a massive debt from cutting taxes and increasing military spending. That combination took us from creditor to debtor. It became the slogan for the GOP to abandon fiscal responsibility to build a voting block- spend like it's someone else's money. 'Star Wars' was a massive sink hole for taxpayer money.

You are completely full of shit and still having a problem with math. Which part of "congress controls the purse strings" do you not understand?
Reagan did not control the checkbook. Congress did and still does. And Reagan's tax cut(passed by congress) in the long run created more tax revenue. Not less. The deficit still grew because congress spent roughly $1.45 for every new dollar of tax revenue. Try that with your own checking account. And it certainly was not all on defense spending. And even some of the defense spending was not Reagan's.
As far as treaties go, they did keep us from MAD for decades. 'Cheating was something both sides did- do you remember the U2 programs??? We swore we weren't overflying Soviet territory.
Spying is one thing, Nukes are another. We never cheated on the nukes. The Soviets cheated before the ink was dry on the treaties we signed pre-Reagan, when the US politicians sought little more then a treaty any treaty to flash in front of the press.
Reagan didn't create 'trust but verify'- like many other things he took full credit for sloganizing it.... ✌️
Reagan absolutely created "trust but verify" It was under Reagan that inspectors were allowed into both nations to verify compliance. It was not until Obama came along that we sunk back to just getting an agreement on paper with the insanely stupid nuke deal with the Iranians. We were allowed no inspectors to visit the Iranian sites and verify compliance.

You forget that the Soviets had massive foreign aid packages they gave out to countries like North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba.

When the Soviet Union dissolved, the payments stopped and North Korea, Cuba and Vietnam saw like 700% inflation.

The Soviets just didn't have the money to carry on foreign aide like that.

We did.

We have a GDP of over 17 trillion a year.

You forget that the Soviets had massive foreign aid packages they gave out to countries like North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba. When the Soviet Union dissolved, the payments stopped and North Korea, Cuba and Vietnam saw like 700% inflation. The Soviets just didn't have the money to carry on foreign aide like that. We did. We have a GDP of over 17 trillion a year.
Their 'massive' was nickel and dime compared to our outpouring. After we 'won' the Cold War we too stopped many aid programs and the economic effects were not pretty as well. Hell our aid caused inflation and corruption in many of the nations we 'helped'. Lest we forget our aid went to many corrupt dictators who violently suppressed democracy. (South America is a sad example)

We have a massive governmental debt, we owe far more to our trading partners than they owe us. We print money like it's just paper- when the greenback stops being the world currency (and OPEC has started takin other monies for oil) out GDP will be truly sad... ✌️

We have a massive governmental debt, we owe far more to our trading partners than they owe us.
Then you should thank Donald Trump for renegotiating trade deals that were not giving the US a fair shake.

Then you should thank Donald Trump for renegotiating trade deals that were not giving the US a fair shake.
I'd have to be both dopey and senile to believe tRump's 'deals' worked for us. Our trade imbalance is YUGE with China. He was all sound and fury- signifying nothing... ✌️

I'd have to be both dopey and senile to believe tRump's 'deals' worked for us. Our trade imbalance is YUGE with China. He was all sound and fury- signifying nothing... ✌️

Try some intellectual honesty. China will cheat either way, however we are now at least getting a fair shake with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA was a disaster. It devastated my local economy for three decades.

Try some intellectual honesty. China will cheat either way, however we are now at least getting a fair shake with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA was a disaster. It devastated my local economy for three decades.
Fair shake??? Slight adjustments to the original agreement and a new title... typical con man crap... again I'd have to be dopey and senile to see tRump's slight of hand as a fair shake... (one key indicator of more window dressing than a meaningful redress of perceived hurts)- how quickly it was agreed to by both neighbors, little if any real rebalance... ✌️

The trade imbalance and the national debt are meaningless.

We could default on Tuesday and on Wednesday borrow 6 trillion more.

Like the old joke goes, "America is a bad place to put your money, but it's better than anywhere else."

So the Cold War started during the last days of WWII when America realized that the Soviet Union was taking countries and had no intention of setting them free.

It ended in 1989 or so.

We won. We're still here and the Soviets are all gone.

So put on your general's hat and tell use how you would've fought the Cold War differently.

More support to Anti Moscow arm resistance in 40-50s , speed up the high tech arm race , allow Moscow to nuke China like they wanted in 70s

The IAEA certified Iran multiple times.
I give no credence whatsoever to the IAEA. If America signs onto a treaty involving nukes, America should be permitted to send in inspectors. If Russia allows American inspectors, so can Iran. The IAEA can go straight to hell. They are worthless.

The IAEA's qualifications isn't based on your opinion.
Does not matter. American inspectors should be permitted if America ever rejoins that insanely stupid Neville Chamberlain level nuke deal.

Yes it does. Whether or not the IAEA is good at it's job and performing it's duties (which it was) isn't based on your opinion of them.
My opinion is that they are worthless. However I don't really care whether they are good at their job or not. Any signatory to a nuke deal should be allowed to send in inspectors.

Does not matter. We disagree. I hope you can handle that.

I cannot fathom how you can hold such an opinion on something you clearly know nothing about, but don't let me stop you.

I cannot fathom how you can hold such an opinion on something you clearly know nothing about, but don't let me stop you.
You are projecting what you think I know. And you are not required to fathom what opinions I hold. It's not about the IEAE's abilities. If we can inspect Russia's facilities, we should be able to do the same with Iran if Dopey Joe of cognitive decline ever signs us back into that insanely stupid nuke deal.

It's not about the IEAE's abilities.

So then what? If there is no difference about the capabilities, and you have not given a reason why the IAEA cannot be trusted, then there is no discernible difference between IAEA and American inspections.

So then what? If there is no difference about the capabilities, and you have not given a reason why the IAEA cannot be trusted, then there is no discernible difference between IAEA and American inspections.
I am not required to give you a reason other then if it's good enough for nuke deals with the Russians, it's good enough for nuke deals with Iran. We disagree. I suspect that you will get over it. Take care and have a nice evening.

Back
Top Bottom