• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you have fought the Cold War?

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So the Cold War started during the last days of WWII when America realized that the Soviet Union was taking countries and had no intention of setting them free.

It ended in 1989 or so.

We won. We're still here and the Soviets are all gone.

So put on your general's hat and tell use how you would've fought the Cold War differently.

What a stupid question. You would have fought it depending on how and where you were raised in the 1800s.

Wait....none of you are ****ing stupid enough to believe that if YOU were alive back in the 1800s you would have your 2021 understanding of life, society, social values, etc...are you?

What a stupid question. You would have fought it depending on how and where you were raised in the 1800s.

Wait....none of you are ****ing stupid enough to believe that if YOU were alive back in the 1800s you would have your 2021 understanding of life, society, social values, etc...are you?

Wut?

lol

So the Cold War started during the last days of WWII when America realized that the Soviet Union was taking countries and had no intention of setting them free.

It ended in 1989 or so.

So put on your general's hat and tell use how you would've fought the Cold War differently.

I would have fought it in the same manner that President Ronald Reagan did quite successfully. According to defecting Soviet generals, Reagan convinced the USSR that they were not going to win an arms race with the US and still manage to feed their population.

Yep...even though there is time for me to edit that and slink away into the shadows...I have to take my beating. I read part of your thread but my eyes saw 'civil' war and not 'cold' war. So...commence to pounding away at the mistake...its well deserved.

Yep...even though there is time for me to edit that and slink away into the shadows...I have to take my beating. I read part of your thread but my eyes saw 'civil' war and not 'cold' war. So...commence to pounding away at the mistake...its well deserved.
Anger management been very, very good to Pepe?

;)

It ended in 1989 or so.

Start by not sending in the CIA to foment violent revolutions against democratically-elected governments.

Anger management been very, very good to Pepe?

;)
Come on...the anger thing has been so 'done'. Dont be basic...surely you can do better than THAT!

;)

Start by not sending in the CIA to foment violent revolutions against democratically-elected governments.

How would you remove the Soviet influence in those countries? Invasion? Assassination?

Come on...the anger thing has been so 'done'. Dont be basic...surely you can do better than THAT!

;)
You let your slip show in post #3.

What’s your mantra?

With hindsight and "winning" as the goal?

Space race and replacing oil with a different technology.

They didn't have hindsight, though. That is not a defense of the chosen strategies. It is acknowledging reality.

got to listen to the whole thing……..

For those of us that grew up in Florida in the 70's, we dont need weed and meditation...we have a permanently accessible contact high.

For those of us that grew up in Florida in the 70's, we dont need weed and meditation...we have a permanently accessible contact high.

This guy talks to prisoners and gang members. He's got a medical degree.

This guy talks to prisoners and gang members. He's got a medical degree.

Again...the 'anger' thing is so yesterday.....at least TRY to be creative.

Tell us about all the guns you own. That will calm you.
I defy you to find a single time where I have told you about all the guns I own.

I defy you to find a single time where I have told you about all the guns I own.

I don't think "defy" means what you think it means. You want "challenge."

I don't care about you telling me about your guns. You're changing the subject into something you can win.

I don't think "defy" means what you think it means. You want "challenge."

I don't care about you telling me about your guns. You're changing the subject into something you can win.

🤣

I didnt bring up guns.

and

Defy: to challenge (a person) to do something deemed impossible:

It ended in 1989 or so.

I don't see any problem with how it was handled. I don't give a **** about the Balkans or Hungary.

I would have fought it in the same manner that President Ronald Reagan did quite successfully. According to defecting Soviet generals, Reagan convinced the USSR that they were not going to win an arms race with the US and still manage to feed their population.
So we cheer as he took us from the largest Creditor Nation to the largest Debtor Nation in the blink of an eye.... :rolleyes:

Glasnost was working, the Warsaw Pact citizens saw the 'opulence' of the average American and the destitute conditions they suffered. The Generals and politicians on both sides were surprised when the Wall came down. The Arms race was money badly spent, a pyrrhic victory I doubt we recover from... ✌️

So we cheer as he took us from the largest Creditor Nation to the largest Debtor Nation in the blink of an eye.... :rolleyes:

Glasnost was working, the Warsaw Pact citizens saw the 'opulence' of the average American and the destitute conditions they suffered. The Generals and politicians on both sides were surprised when the Wall came down. The Arms race was money badly spent, a pyrrhic victory I doubt we recover from... ✌️

The pressure the Soviets felt from the arms race brought Glasnost about.

Soviet elites could see the difference between the two philosophies, communism and capitalism. They could see how the common man prospered in Western countries and lived a shabby life in communist countries. They realized that communism was never going to be the answer.

But that wasn't until the 1980's.

We had to fight the Soviets until the Soviet Union collapsed.

The pressure the Soviets felt from the arms race brought Glasnost about. Soviet elites could see the difference between the two philosophies, communism and capitalism. They could see how the common man prospered in Western countries and lived a shabby life in communist countries. They realized that communism was never going to be the answer. But that wasn't until the 1980's. We had to fight the Soviets until the Soviet Union collapsed.

I served during the 70's. Reagan supercharged our 'fight' with massive spending. Combined with his large tax cut took us from creditor to debtor status. We lost the lost long term by winning short term. Internal consumer pressure was already creating fatal cracks in the iron wall. We were going to win, at what cost was the issue. Glasnost actually began in the 60's with protests over soviet dissidents being tried in secret. It became a political slogan by the Soviet government in the mid 80's.

I'd use the term resist communists not push a massive spending competition. We won the 'war' but surrendered a keystone of our way of life. Becoming a debtor nation under the so-called fiscally responsible GOP altered our thinking to our peril. 'Regan showed us deficits don't matter'.... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom