• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you feel about teaching firearm safety in public schools?

They used to in a lot of schools. We got to shoot real arrows too!

Come to think of it, we also got to play with asbestos and mercury.
Yeah, things were definitely different. My kids friend got in trouble just drawing a weapon at school.

Yes, teach gun safety and safe gun handling to teens at public schools but bar such training at charter or private schools. Also teach revolutionary politics, survival skills, wilderness and urban fieldcraft and guerrilla tactics to the lads and lasses in public schools. Then let the Second American Revolution begin! ;)

Tongue in cheek of course, but that is why local, state and federal governments will likely never support such initiatives universally.

In all seriousness, I think teaching future American adults about responsible gun ownership, gun safety, safe gun storage and the rights and obligations of gun ownership would be very valuable in an over-armed society like modern-day America. I would also advise raising the age that anyone can own or possess a gun to twenty-one years of age unless they take and pass such courses, in which case lower ages of qualification can be had by would-be gun owners.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Yeah, things were definitely different. My kids friend got in trouble just drawing a weapon at school.
It was horrible!

We rode bikes without helmets. We had roller skates with steel wheels that would stop immediately if you ran over even the smallest of rocks. Firecrackers? The bigger the better! And all that was just the stuff our parents knew about!

The later. Suicides are on the rise. So are school shootings. These are mental issues, and a gun safety class would probably not solve them. There's also an issue with keeping firearms at school in a safe manner, etc. The liability would be high I'd think.
Well, despite the fact that it was common back when, no - I wouldn't suggest keeping firearms in school at all these days.

It was horrible!

We rode bikes without helmets. We had roller skates with steel wheels that would stop immediately if you ran over even the smallest of rocks. Firecrackers? The bigger the better! And all that was just the stuff our parents knew about!
LOL - my grade school (I won't mention any names) still has these metal shutters on the outside of the building.

One day, my best friend and I packed a couple cherry bombs in a large coffee can and packed it with pea gravel and lit it, thinking it'd just blow the can up 4 or 5 feet and look cool.

Uh uh.

Those cherry bombs went off and sprayed the building and everything within 100' with pea gravel. Fortunately, we were far enough away and behind a sand box or something and didn't get hit. Boy, we lit out of there as fast as our bikes would carry us.

There are still hundreds of little pea-sized dents in those louvers to this day.

LOL - my grade school (I won't mention any names) still has these metal shutters on the outside of the building.

One day, my best friend and I packed a couple cherry bombs in a large coffee can and packed it with pea gravel and lit it, thinking it'd just blow the can up 4 or 5 feet and look cool.

Uh uh.

Those cherry bombs went off and sprayed the building and everything within 100' with pea gravel. Fortunately, we were far enough away and behind a sand box or something and didn't get hit. Boy, we lit out of there as fast as our bikes would carry us.

There are still hundreds of little pea-sized dents in those louvers to this day.
I was maybe 5 or 6 when a neighbor kid suggested making a "Polish Cannon". We cut the top and bottom off three soup cans then poked a bunch of holes in the top of a fourth one and gouged a hole in the side and taped that one to the bottom of the cylinder. Poured lighter fluid in the bottom can, dropped a tennis ball in the top and went looking for a match. That's when dad caught on that something was up. He checked the rig, gave his admonition not to point it at anything breakable and let us roll! We eventually tried to launch flaming tennis balls but that never really worked out.

Nope- but it is exposure to potential business for gun ranges (not to mention good publicity) and it is more potential members for community organizations.

Win-win all around.
There is no intersect between schools and firearms, except in the worst possible event.

It was horrible!

And bottle rocket wars. Two teams at opposite ends of the football field with coke bottles and bags and bags of bottle rockets, seeing if we could hit each other.

(We weren't the brightest bulbs back then :) )

How would you feel about teaching firearm safety in public schools?​

renderTimingPixel.png

How would you feel about teaching firearm safety and proper firearm handling (for older kids) in public schools?
I don't doubt think there is anything wrong with that.

It was horrible!

Yep, I remember. It's one of the reasons I use to explain why young people complain more now. I mean, it was hard enough growing up then. I can only imagine what it's like now.

But, after poisonings, blown off arms and faces, broken skulls, and chipped teeth, the rules came. We should have just appreciated what we had. lol

I have to admit tho, I didn't make my kids wear that helmet. Luckily they didn't get brain damage and yes, I feel like a bad mother at times because I should have.

I was maybe 5 or 6 when a neighbor kid suggested making a "Polish Cannon". We cut the top and bottom off three soup cans then poked a bunch of holes in the top of a fourth one and gouged a hole in the side and taped that one to the bottom of the cylinder. Poured lighter fluid in the bottom can, dropped a tennis ball in the top and went looking for a match. That's when dad caught on that something was up. He checked the rig, gave his admonition not to point it at anything breakable and let us roll! We eventually tried to launch flaming tennis balls but that never really worked out.
Awesome 👍

:)

There are far more important skills that kids need to learn than how to fire a gun.
Well this could save your life so I'd say it's pretty important. But the schools don't teach far more important skills. I don't teach about proper nutrition or how to do a budget or things like compound interest.

I personally think a gun safety course should be an extra thing like driver's ed.

renderTimingPixel.png

How would you feel about teaching firearm safety and proper firearm handling (for older kids) in public schools?
We should get trump to teach it - it would be a short class - he's look down the wrong end of it, shoot himself, like he did when he stared and the eclipse - then class would be out!

Yes, teach gun safety and safe gun handling to teens at public schools but bar such training at charter or private schools. Also teach revolutionary politics, survival skills, wilderness and urban fieldcraft and guerrilla tactics to the lads and lasses in public schools. Then let the Second American Revolution begin! ;)

Tongue in cheek of course, but that is why local, state and federal governments will likely never support such initiatives universally.

In all seriousness, I think teaching future American adults about responsible gun ownership, gun safety, safe gun storage and the rights and obligations of gun ownership would be very valuable in an over-armed society like modern-day America. I would also advise raising the age that anyone can own or possess a gun to twenty-one years of age unless they take and pass such courses, in which case lower ages of qualification can be had by would-be gun owners.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
So you think we should suspend the second amendment?

Yep, I remember. It's one of the reasons I use to explain why young people complain more now. I mean, it was hard enough growing up then. I can only imagine what it's like now.

But, after poisonings, blown off arms and faces, broken skulls, and chipped teeth, the rules came. We should have just appreciated what we had. lol

I have to admit tho, I didn't make my kids wear that helmet. Luckily they didn't get brain damage and yes, I feel like a bad mother at times because I should have.
Yeah, but... I don't know.

Sometimes I wonder if we weren't safer back then because we had the opportunity to learn from our stupidity or ignorance when we were kids. Now, knowing better, we can both take proper precautions, behave differently - but most importantly, not fear the unknown. I think today's kids are in much greater danger than we ever were - merely because they fear in ignorance what we learned from making mistakes back when - and no longer fear.

I remember my grandmother teaching me about germs - she said a teaspoon of dirt a week is good for kids, builds up their immune system. She was exaggerating of course, but I think her point was a valid one. It's ok to get dirty and have cuts and scratches, and bee stings, and dog bites, and broken arms and bruised knees... ultimately it makes us stronger. We shouldn't fear guns. But we must respect them and treat them properly at all times.

Maybe in the sticks have at it. Stupid america and their obsession with guns, its so pathetic

Yeah, but... I don't know.

Sometimes I wonder if we weren't safer back then because we had the opportunity to learn from our stupidity or ignorance when we were kids. Now, knowing better, we can both take proper precautions, behave differently - but most importantly, not fear the unknown. I think today's kids are in much greater danger than we ever were - merely because they fear in ignorance what we learned from making mistakes back when - and no longer fear.

I remember my grandmother teaching me about germs - she said a teaspoon of dirt a week is good for kids, builds up their immune system. She was exaggerating of course, but I think her point was a valid one. It's ok to get dirty and have cuts and scratches, and bee stings, and dog bites, and broken arms and bruised knees... ultimately it makes us stronger. We shouldn't fear guns. But we must respect them and treat them properly at all times.
Yeah the only problem is other people. My husband grew up in an abusive family situation, safety was the last thing on his parents mind.
It's good that you had that childhood, but not everybody does.

I have to be reminded of that, because I think similar to you.

renderTimingPixel.png

How about we do a civics class first.

Let's get some priorities straight for a change.

How about we do a civics class first.

Let's get some priorities straight for a change.
Now what's a civics class going to do when we're in a civil war next year? lol

Personally, I think cooking should make a return. Kids can't bake shit these days.

Back
Top Bottom