• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How would you define God?

Hicup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I ask, because, I think I've got a pretty good argument for the existence of God, but it fails the semantic test, meaning, eventually, the argument will boil down to what God is. I'm trying to avoid that pressure, and gain a consensus as to what God is, or what we imagine God is?

All thoughts welcome in this thread. At the end, if I am satisfied that the members here generally agree with me on the definition, then I will present my argument for God. Please note, I don't believe in God personally, but the exercise is one worth taking.

Tim-

God is essentially a larger and all pervasive structure to the universe that has been experienced limitedly by humans. Certain humans are 'transmitted' knowledge from the universe, these people are prophets.

A god is anything that is sufficiently more powerful and more intelligent than I am such that I am not capable of perceiving the limits of its power and intelligence.

Yet people claim to have experienced god clearly. Jesus, Mohammed, hell, even the Buddha fits into my definition.

All good so far, keep em coming.

Tim-

A god is anything that is sufficiently more powerful and more intelligent than I am such that I am not capable of perceiving the limits of its power and intelligence.

The frequency with which you say something intresting and intelligent that makes me stop and think, is quite remarkable. :mrgreen:

God:

Logos, the Word.
Jesus, the Word made Flesh.
The "I AM", which was before the universe and will be after it is gone.
The being in whose mind and will the universe exists.
The Creator.
The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, in three aspects but One being.
Yahweh, the Holy Father.
Yeshua, the Lamb of God, the Lion of Judah, the Kinsman/Redeemer, Messiah and Savior, Son of God and Son of Man.
The Comforter and Guide.
The Infinite and Eternal, omniscient and omnipotent except for the limits of his own Word.
Which has no beginning and no ending, Amen.

A multidimensional, unique and infinite being that exists on multiple dimensions at once, is not bound by time, distance or 'laws' of physics, whose intellect and power are either unlimited or sufficiently close to it that mere Man cannot tell the difference.

Personally, I like to call him simply "Father". :mrgreen:

Hypothetical construct.

I don't need to explain it it is about my Faith in GOD

My concept of God has changed throughout my lifetime, and at one time barely existed. Currently, it is similar to a creative force or energy. It does not judge, condemn, nor reward, but is the driving force behind expression and movement. Hope that makes some sense.:)

My concept of God has changed throughout my lifetime, and at one time barely existed. Currently, it is similar to a creative force or energy. It does not judge, condemn, nor reward, but is the driving force behind expression and movement. Hope that makes some sense.:)

I was hoping for a more robust definition. :) Just kidding..

There are a couple so far that belive what I believe God is, but I'd like to hear more.

Tim-

Human knowledge and intelligence cannot reach God to give out a precise definition. Yet it by no means says that we can't believe in His existence. Actually, without such a 'precise' definition we can still believe who He is through the Bible we believe He left behind for us.

What do folks in the thread think about the 'prophets' in history, then?

Profits channel source information or receive insight from higher beings, and both are possible because they have achieved a level of spiritual openness which allows them to receive. I think anyone, with a lot of work and dedication, can achieve such levels of insight, but those who are born with such abilities are extremely rare and gifted. They do not channel God specifically.

My basis is that God is not a definable being. It is a force of the universe which contains all things, including all events past, present, and future simultaneously. It is where we came from before birth and where we return to after, but these words are flawed because it implies that God is in a different place than the now in which we reside. Actually, it is all simultaneous, as are life and death.

God is a verb, not a noun. It is the universe in motion.

I ask, because, I think I've got a pretty good argument for the existence of God, but it fails the semantic test, meaning, eventually, the argument will boil down to what God is. I'm trying to avoid that pressure, and gain a consensus as to what God is, or what we imagine God is?

All thoughts welcome in this thread. At the end, if I am satisfied that the members here generally agree with me on the definition, then I will present my argument for God. Please note, I don't believe in God personally, but the exercise is one worth taking.

Tim-

You can't define God as god is simply an undisprovable concept of a creator. Any definition of it requires faith

Sorry :) Couldnt resist

Is the OP asking about a specific god or the god(s) we personally follow?

What do folks in the thread think about the 'prophets' in history, then?

Personally i see prophets as con artists that only want to control people through fear by proclaiming to have talked to what ever god they talked to which gives people confort because the prophet gives them understanding because many people fear what they cannot understand.

But as far as my stance on god i see him or she or it as either an all powerful essence or being who has created the uneverse and set it in motion which is what eventually led to our creation out of the creator's creation, at the same time i also think the creator is what sparked our essence of life on earth ( since sceince hasnt been able to prove how life was created yet)

Sorry :) Couldnt resist

Is the OP asking about a specific god or the god(s) we personally follow?

The monotheistic God, although, I'm not necessarily opposed to hearing all views on the subject. I've been on vacation all this week, so I've only been in and out. I should be able to deliver my hypothesis sometime this weekend if all goes well. :)

Tim-

The monotheistic God, although, I'm not necessarily opposed to hearing all views on the subject. I've been on vacation all this week, so I've only been in and out. I should be able to deliver my hypothesis sometime this weekend if all goes well. :)
I couldnt really answer that, I'm not monotheistic. The monotheistic form of god always sort of felt like a father who was always away on business.

The gods that I follow are surprisingly human and tend to stay hands-off unless it's something truly important.

How would I define god? Simple...."me".

"the voice in my head"

Ok, well I suppose I could let you all in on it now.

My argument is based on the premise that God exists, or existed, but either way there is/was a God.

I asked for members definitions of God, because after all, it is how we define God that gives any validity to my conclusions. The opinion is varied here. For my argument to work, one must consider for a moment that God is tangible, or something physical if you will.

If given enough time, and enough luck, humans can reach a point in our evolution that we would know everything about our universe. It is logical to suppose that, right?

If the above is true, which isn't unreasonable, then it would also hold true that we can become God-Like. This is not analogous to how an ant would observe our existence, but rather than appearing God-like, (to the ant - but not true of the premise) we would be God-Like. I say God-Like, because it hedges my bet that I'm not entirely sure of what God is. If we could get this far, we would know how to affect our surroundings with precision. To know everything there is to know, would mean that we would know of our own creation, and of creation itself. It is possible that, we could be the catalyst for a re-birth of the universe, or create another, multi-verse, one where we are the sole proprietors.

My view of God, is that, (he) might have an ego, he might also not care about that which he created, but rather, create, and be destroyed (himself), or completely uninterested, which is to say, create, and leave it to evolve on its own. If the latter, then finding God is unimportant, but if the former, and God does have an ego, then perhaps it was (his) wish to be known. How can he be known? Well, it appears that if he wanted to be known, then he would have been known by now, unless, this universe was his legacy, and God no longer exists?

If man can become God, then it follows that our own existence is from some similar physical processes. I believe in a God that has the ego, but no longer exists. Our existence is a by-product of our own potential.

Tim-

To reach GodHead you must have Gnosis and Enlightenment so I expect those things in any and all Gods that may be floating about and around.

Back
Top Bottom