• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How would you define God?

What do folks in the thread think about the 'prophets' in history, then?

There are a lot of Black Prophets in Rap. Someone should write a book about it.

*forgive it already been done*

I don't know. I believe in "God", but prefer "higher power". But, I tend to believe that he/she/it/whatever is either a) a force, like Mother Nature or the Force or b) if actually tangible and sentient, then a human-like entity that does tweaking every so often til sentient life is achieved, and then he/she/it/whatever leaves that life to itself for the most part to do other things, perhaps even work on making new life elsewhere.

Either way, I don't believe the "higher power" interferes as much with our lives as some believe, because I believe that a more intelligent being would pre-plan for the vast majority of problems through things like compassion, reasoning, and intelligence along with instincts and a basic sense of right and wrong.

I think that religion, as a whole, uses "God" for power, which is sometimes used for good and sometimes used for bad. Religion can help to guide people to do the right thing, but it can also make people close-minded. This is why I'm not religious, but I also try not to bash religions, in general. I prefer to get really specific on religious doctrines and practices that I don't agree with, rather than generalizing to any particular religions. I don't believe that any sentient "higher power" would be as petty and cruel as some beliefs have their God(s) as being.

If I'm wrong, then so be it, but at least I'm not lying to myself. The only thing I absolutely know in regards to "God" is that I don't know. Everything else is just based on my beliefs, feelings, and personal observations with a little bit of historical knowledge thrown in there.

I can't define god. God or whatever you want to call him/her/it is by definition beyond human definition, understanding and ability to label it and put it in a neat little box.

I do believe god or whatever term you want to use gave humans intelligence and curiosity for a purpose, that we will strive to understand him/her/it in the only way we can relate, through understanding god's creation and works.

I believe prophecy can be real, but I don't trust anything "divinely inspired" to be purely divine. Prophecy therefore is vague or flawed because people can't help but see and interpret it through their limited and often biased perspective. That's human nature.

I do believe stongly in a higher power or being. I am simply not willing to place my limitations on something unlimited.

God is the Creator of Heaven and Earth, and we can tell by their natual beauty that he is a magnificent artist. He is Holy, loving, good and merciful, just, forgiving, patient, longsuffering for our sakes. He teaches lessons to us individually, just like a parent should so we can mature and grow. When we make mistakes or rebel, as all children do, he will rebuke us because he cares. Since we are of a sinful nature, he has prepared a way for us to live, by innocently shedding his own blood, humbling himself before his own creation, taking the punishment that we deserve on himself. He enjoys seeing happiness and joy and music and beauty, he doen't like troublemaking or plotting against someone, or pride, but he loves meekness, humility and encouragment, and righteousness. He likes when we share things with each other, and help those in need, not fighting or bickering or gossipping or drama.

He loves us and wants us to be thankful. He likes blessing us, but if we are bad, we don't deserve blessings do we? He knows our hearts and he wants us to seek to know his. :)

How would you define God?

Variously, a myth, a psychological crutch, and/or a political tool to keep the great unwashed masses in line. Nothing more. Nothing less.

i'm a man of science but don't think it is at odds with religion i think they grew up together and would be nowhere without one another. any definition i've see of what god is is that he is EVERYWHERE in EVERYTHING which is also a great definition for energy so i think energy=god.

Gods are simply memes.

From wikipedia:

"A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "cream"[1]) is a unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena."

i'm a man of science but don't think it is at odds with religion i think they grew up together and would be nowhere without one another. any definition i've see of what god is is that he is EVERYWHERE in EVERYTHING which is also a great definition for energy so i think energy=god.
Personally, I like the pantheist argument.

1. God is the greatest entity in the universe
2. If God was seperate from the universe, then there would be a greater entity than God: ie God + the universe ("Our powers combine as one!")
3. Therefore God = The Universe. All of it. Every atom, every rock, every person, all parts of God.

Gods are simply memes.

From wikipedia:

"A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "cream"[1]) is a unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena."
It's safe to say that the idea of God is a meme, at least.

There's a nice theory in the first Science of Discworld book which says that Abraham originally came up with the name "jehovah" (translation: that which is) to describe society - or, more precisely, the immaterial links and connections between individuals that allowed them to function as a society. 'Jehovah' was mans altruistic tendencies (read: 'love') which caused him to bond with his neighbors rather than brain them. It was only later that the concept got personified into a white father-figure with a beard, and the description of society became the cause for society.

Last edited:
I ask, because, I think I've got a pretty good argument for the existence of God, but it fails the semantic test, meaning, eventually, the argument will boil down to what God is. I'm trying to avoid that pressure, and gain a consensus as to what God is, or what we imagine God is?

All thoughts welcome in this thread. At the end, if I am satisfied that the members here generally agree with me on the definition, then I will present my argument for God. Please note, I don't believe in God personally, but the exercise is one worth taking.

Tim-

A character in a story. Which story depends on which god/dess you're referring to. But they are all characters in various stories.

Personally, I like the pantheist argument.

1. God is the greatest entity in the universe
2. If God was seperate from the universe, then there would be a greater entity than God: ie God + the universe ("Our powers combine as one!")
3. Therefore God = The Universe. All of it. Every atom, every rock, every person, all parts of God.

It's safe to say that the idea of God is a meme, at least.

There's a nice theory in the first Science of Discworld book which says that Abraham originally came up with the name "jehovah" (translation: that which is) to describe society - or, more precisely, the immaterial links and connections between individuals that allowed them to function as a society. 'Jehovah' was mans altruistic tendencies (read: 'love') which caused him to bond with his neighbors rather than brain them. It was only later that the concept got personified into a white father-figure with a beard, and the description of society became the cause for society.

yesser, a better way of saying "EVERYWHERE in EVERYTHING". thank you!!!

I define god as imaginary.

I define god as imaginary.

you are correct god was made in man's immage as was EVERYTHING connected with humanity. it's all in our imagination everything we've written, built and dreamed of.

To reach GodHead you must have Gnosis and Enlightenment so I expect those things in any and all Gods that may be floating about and around.

That severely limits the number of God candidates in the universe.:mrgreen:

God can't be defined by earthly things, body, image ...etc. God is only a creator and can not be a created things.

God is undefinable.

Oh wait, is that a definition?

Rudimentarily I would say God is the progenator of life, the crux of the biscuit.

What do folks in the thread think about the 'prophets' in history, then?

Prophets are in close contact with God for awhile, such that they receive information from God and at the same time they are the witnesses for God simply because they know much more. They know more but have to watch how people choose to believe or reject things which are almost crystal clear to them. That's the case.

God can't be defined by earthly things, body, image ...etc. God is only a creator and can not be a created things.

Yep, so the most conclusive and precise 'definition' is that "I am who I am", or "I am the Alpha and I am the Omega".

Yep, so the most conclusive and precise 'definition' is that "I am who I am", or "I am the Alpha and I am the Omega".

I don't understand what you mean. Can you clearize it?

Back
Top Bottom