• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How will population growth change due to a lack of abortion access?

How will population growth change due to a lack of abortion access?

• Population growth will decrease

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Looking through google shows a lack of research (at least that I can find) on the effect of population growth (new people being born) due to a lack of abortion access.

So I leave it to here for your opinions. How many more kids (if any) do you think this change in policy will create?

Most abortions occur in blue states and blue states tend to be those with the highest population.

Wait a minute... abortion is now about [curbing] POPULATION GROWTH?

Wait a minute... abortion is now about [curbing] POPULATION GROWTH?
I made no statement about values, I am simply curious about the perceived demographic effects.

Looking through google shows a lack of research (at least that I can find) on the effect of population growth (new people being born) due to a lack of abortion access.

So I leave it to here for your opinions. How many more kids (if any) do you think this change in policy will create?
The premise that there will be lack of abortion access if Roe is overturned remains to be seen.

Reversing Roe would just bring the US in line with western European countries, who have varying abortion law structures, and the "right to abortion" in Europe is not constitutional, but rather is governed by law made by legislatures.

For some reason, for the US to enact abortion laws, it's fascism. But, for Europe to do it, it's fine. I guess by "Our Democracy" the Left only approves of the Democracy where people vote for the things the Left wants in exactly the way the Left wants them.

I made no statement about values, I am simply curious about the perceived demographic effects.
Neither did I. I simply found it fascinating - the sudden turn in the discussion from women's rights to population growth.

The premise that there will be lack of abortion access if Roe is overturned remains to be seen.

Reversing Roe would just bring the US in line with western European countries, who have varying abortion law structures, and the "right to abortion" in Europe is not constitutional, but rather is governed by law made by legislatures.

For some reason, for the US to enact abortion laws, it's fascism. But, for Europe to do it, it's fine. I guess by "Our Democracy" the Left only approves of the Democracy where people vote for the things the Left wants in exactly the way the Left wants them.
Ignoring the irrelevant commentary, your line of thinking is similar to mine, to look at various western European countries to see what their birthrates are like.

Neither did I. I simply found it fascinating - the sudden turn in the discussion from women's rights to population growth.
Well, my discussion is, but I tend to be fascinated with social sciences.

If you think there is something beyond my personal curiosity, then that is simply your paranoia.

It will probably grow by a good clip, but don't fear. The pro-lifers will be lining up to adopt these babies they want so badly.

Most abortions occur in blue states and blue states tend to be those with the highest population.
Backwards. High population states tend to be blue.

From 1981 through 2017, the abortion rate fell approximately in half

The abortion rate in the United States fell to its lowest level since the historic Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision legalized abortion nationwide, a new report finds.

The report by the Guttmacher Institute, a research group that supports legalized abortion, puts the rate at 14.6 abortions per 1,000 women of childbearing age (ages 15-44) in 2014. That's the lowest recorded rate since the Roe decision in 1973. The abortion rate has been declining for decades — down from a peak of 29.3 in 1980 and 1981.

The report also finds that in 2013, the total number of abortions nationwide fell below 1 million for the first time since the mid-1970s. In 2014 — the most recent year with data available — the number fell a bit more, to 926,200. The overall number had peaked at more than 1.6 million abortions in 1990, according to Guttmacher.

Perhaps not surprisingly, given the longstanding controversy around abortion policy, the meaning of the report is somewhat in dispute.

Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards said efforts to help women get better access to contraception are paying off. She points in particular to recent improvements in the rate of unintended pregnancies, and a historically low teen pregnancy rate.

"It shows that we're finally doing a better job of helping women get access to birth control that's affordable and that's high-quality," Richards said.

My worries are 16-20 years from now we'll have a lot of unwanted, poor mistreated teenagers' that just-don't-give-a-damn.
Um... have you not noticed today's teenagers and twenty-somethings? Holy bat cowman - we're there, now. And it wasn't because we didn't, or couldn't abort them.

U.S. Abortion Rate Falls to Lowest Level Since Roe v. Wade

1651675821724.png

From 1981 through 2017, the abortion rate fell approximately in half
The abortion rate in the United States fell to its lowest level since the historic Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision legalized abortion nationwide, a new report finds.
The report by the Guttmacher Institute, a research group that supports legalized abortion, puts the rate at 14.6 abortions per 1,000 women of childbearing age (ages 15-44) in 2014. That's the lowest recorded rate since the Roe decision in 1973. The abortion rate has been declining for decades — down from a peak of 29.3 in 1980 and 1981.
The report also finds that in 2013, the total number of abortions nationwide fell below 1 million for the first time since the mid-1970s. In 2014 — the most recent year with data available — the number fell a bit more, to 926,200. The overall number had peaked at more than 1.6 million abortions in 1990, according to Guttmacher.
Perhaps not surprisingly, given the longstanding controversy around abortion policy, the meaning of the report is somewhat in dispute.
Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards said efforts to help women get better access to contraception are paying off. She points in particular to recent improvements in the rate of unintended pregnancies, and a historically low teen pregnancy rate.
"It shows that we're finally doing a better job of helping women get access to birth control that's affordable and that's high-quality," Richards said.
1651677910531.png

There will be a lot more unwanted children and increased poverty, which will translate in to heightened societal anger, which will translate in to an increase in violent crime in about 15 to 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom